PDA

View Full Version : Gun Show Question

BC42
03-10-2012, 1:54 AM
Thinking about going to the Crossroads of the West Gun Show Sunday at the Del Mar Fairgrounds. First of all, I know you are still required to wait 10 days just as you would a gun shop, but how does that work with a Gun Show? Where do you go 10 days later to get the gun?

Also, is that show even worth going to? My friend wants to buy a handgun (used probably), but if it isn't worth it then we may just hit the stores around town

SoCal Bob
03-10-2012, 6:25 AM
If the seller isn't a local FFL then there will be at least one there to process sales. You would drive to their store when the 10 days is up.

Others will chime in but I wouldn't expect to find any good deals on handguns there, more likely beef jerky, ammo and parts. Your friend would do better to watch the for sale ads on Calguns.

Ubermcoupe
03-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Im with SoCal Bob, your friend might have a better chance finding a used gun in the CGN (Calguns) marketplace of off among another classifieds like media.

Local Gun Stores (LGS) always sell guns, and some of the bigger stores/chains will have occasional ads for discounted or sale priced deals. There was a recent Springfield XD package rebate from the SA factory not to long ago where you got the gun, 3 or 4 magazines, holster, mag holder, mag loader, and the gun for a fair price.

Many of the gun shows that offer pistols usually have guys that are trying to get their money’s worth and then some “because we live in CA” - don’t buy into that.

If you (or your buddy) does buy one @ the LGS you will fill out paperwork with that dealer, or find one of the many dealers closest to you (they are usually to the left or right of the door you walk in), wait the 10 days, and then drive to go pick it up.

You/ your buddy will also need a HSC (Handgun Safety Certificate) that costs $25 when you purchase a pistol - you can also do that @ the gun show.

If you/your buddy has an idea of what they are looking for (1911, glock, whatever) try posting in the handguns section (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=66) with questions and go from there. I always recommend shooting what you plan on buying before you buy it though.

Best of luck and Welcome to Calguns! :)

Meety Peety
03-10-2012, 1:06 PM
As the others have said, you are probably better off buying locally via the marketplace. You can find deals at gunshows, its mostly vendors selling parts/ammo/new guns these days.. and what you do find used will be of a limited selection. If you go to the show with money in your pocket wanting to buy a gun, you'll probably end up impulse buying something you didn't really want because you just couldn't find what you did want. There are some killer deals to be had at gunshows, but in my experience, hand guns and complete rifles never really seemed to be part of that. If you are building an AR or looking for a C&R/Cowboy action though, this is the place to go.

Welcome to Calguns!

JavaBrewer
03-10-2012, 1:25 PM
Was at the last Crossroads show in Del Mar and agree with the above comments. I think the Marketplace forum here on Calguns is your best bet for a new/used firearm. The GS is cool for hanging out and picking up some accessories. I might go tomorrow for a rifle bag and some assorted items - not sure yet.

Jeepster824
03-10-2012, 1:26 PM
Everything said above is true,has been for years. I have gone to the Gun shows here for reenactment gear,western/cowboy stuff(father in law gifts!) and that sort of thing. It can be a fun afternoon of shopping and talking but not so much of a gun buying market.

h0use
03-10-2012, 1:57 PM
gunshow at delmar is just good for bulk ammo and beef jerky....

fighterpilot562
03-10-2012, 2:14 PM
I been to the gun show in Costa Mesa, and its just cool to walk around and check everything out, i wouldn't buy a gun there. i did by ammo and some stripper clips for my mosin. Walk around and look for the deals. one guy wanted like 2.50$ for stripper clips, so i said no thanks, kept looking and ended up finding someone selling them for a buck ech

bikr4jc
03-10-2012, 10:00 PM
Welcome!!