PDA

View Full Version : open carry in Nevada

Cobrafreak
03-09-2012, 8:06 PM
I have a CA CCW permit and am about to go on vacation driving through Nevada and into Arizona and back through Southern CA. I understand NV does not recognize CA CCW permits. Can I open carry through Nevada while i'm traveling through? Thanks

BigMak911
03-09-2012, 8:13 PM
If you aren't leaving super soon it may behoove you to get an AZ permit... full NV reciprocity.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

Bert Gamble
03-09-2012, 9:00 PM
Stop in to a Nevada Sheriff and make your application for a non resident permit. Takes about 6 weeks to arrive.

Quiet
03-09-2012, 9:20 PM
I have a CA CCW permit and am about to go on vacation driving through Nevada and into Arizona and back through Southern CA. I understand NV does not recognize CA CCW permits. Can I open carry through Nevada while i'm traveling through? Thanks
In NV...
* It is legal to open carry a loaded handgun.

* It is legal to have a loaded handgun in your vehicle as long as it is not "concealed upon your person".
-So, loaded handgun in vehicle's glove/utility compartment, on the dashboard, on the seat next to you, under your seat is all legal.
-But, loaded handgun in a bag/purse/case/pack/etc is not legal.

*Even though NV has a state firearms pre-emption law, some cities (North Las Vegas, Boulder City) are still enforcing their firearm ordinances. So, if you go through those areas, store unloaded & in a locked container. Those cities are being sued, but it'll take them before they see the light.

If you have the time, get either a non-resident NV CFP or an AZ CCW permit.

Rossi357
03-09-2012, 9:38 PM
I would suggest you go to www.nevadashooters.com and ask there.
I visit N. Las Vegas about 3 times a year and loc there all the time.
If I'm not mistaken, N. Las Vegas gun laws are preempted, but they haven't bothered to take the law off the books.

Quiet
03-09-2012, 10:09 PM
If I'm not mistaken, N. Las Vegas doesn't enforce any gun laws due to state preemption, but haven't bothered to take the law off the books.
Around 2010, NLVPD admin stated that NV preemption law voided NLV ordinances and open carrry is legal in NLV and NLVPD would not be enforcing those ordinances.

Then things changed last year.

Mayor and City Council wanted their ordinances enforced and fired all the
NLVPD admins/officers that refused to enforce the ordinances and hired new admins/officers to enforce their ordinances.

So, unless things have changed again, be cautious about open carrying in North Las Vegas.

As of last year and beginning of this year, NV residents on opencarry.org have reported that they've been arrested for open carrying in North Las Vegas.

Supposedly, lawsuits have been filed to challenge what NLV is doing.

Maestro Pistolero
03-09-2012, 11:19 PM
As of last year and beginning of this year, NV residents on opencarry.org have reported that they've been arrested for open carrying in North Las Vegas.
Got any links for that info? I would LOVE to be a test case for that. Even the ACLU supports 2A rights here in Nevada. NLVPD will lose those cases on several different grounds.

Quiet
03-09-2012, 11:27 PM
Got any links for that info? I would LOVE to be a test case for that. Even the ACLU supports 2A rights here in Nevada. NLVPD will lose those case on several different grounds.

message usmcmustang (http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/member.php?60591-usmcmustang) on the opencarry.org forums.
His son was arrested for open carrying in NLV last year (05-2011).

Baja Daze
03-10-2012, 2:09 AM
If you aren't leaving super soon it may behoove you to get an AZ permit... full NV Recognition.

Fixed it for you....and ditto on the suggestion to get an AZ permit as AZ is now the best non-resident permit available, more states than either FL or UT.