View Full Version : Interstate Transfer TO Az (by dual resident)

03-09-2012, 6:10 PM
I am not trying to make things up here (really!) but suppose I want to sell/trade a firearm I lawfully own and have registered here in Cali to a friend in Arizona? From what I have learned, this is a FEDERALLY MANDATED interstate transfer and an FFL is required to be involved. Right?

If so, what paperwork does the FFL need to complete? I have asked two different FFL's in AZ about this and they tell me I can just sell the gun and write a bill of sale. Apparently, they are forgetting Federal Law.

Now, one option I may have is that I have property in and I spend quite a bit of time living in AZ already - to the extent I believe I qualify as a dual resident for purposes of the 4473.

Does that qualify me to be an AZ resident to PPT the gun to my friend (who is not a prohibited person)?


03-09-2012, 7:09 PM
Federal law requires firearms to go through a FFL for residents of different states. If you are a resident of AZ, then that would not apply and only the AZ laws would apply (when you are in AZ).

03-09-2012, 7:21 PM
That is what I am thinking too, thanks. I just wonder how fine a line I am cutting with that scenario.

03-09-2012, 7:40 PM
You might want to read the 4473 instructions for question 13. If you intend to make a home in AZ, then you would qualify as a resident.

As to the line, I am not sure. If you own property with a house on it, then I would suspect it would be acceptable.

03-10-2012, 6:42 AM
I have read the instructions and examples for 13, and have genuinely met them in the past for purchase of firearms. I cannot find any example or wording that would apply to a PPT sale as I intend to do. So I hope I am correct in believing that if I qualify for dual residency in the past, I would continue to do so for this as well....

03-10-2012, 9:16 AM
I would think that you would qualify. If you get an AZ ID, then that would help to show that was the case as well.