PDA

View Full Version : I'm in TX, can I send an HK4 to a FFL in CA?

TX_Aggie
03-09-2012, 4:22 PM
I've googled this a bit but still can't find a clear answer so I wanted to ask here...

I'm in TX. Someone from CA (I think) wants to buy my HK4 and says he has an FFL in CA and Oregon which I can send it to.

Even though the HK4 is an old single stack pistol, I can't find it on the approved list. However I am confused if I have to follow this for a private party sale. I have a C&R license which is for collecting, so I guess this is still private party.

So, is it legal for me to send it to his FFL in CA after I receive a copy of their license?

Many thanks for your help.

stix213
03-09-2012, 4:27 PM
If the buyer is a LEO, then the state handgun roster doesn't apply. The local FFL could also convert it to single shot exempt configuration and make a legal roster exempt transaction in CA. Has the buyer mentioned anything like this?

I'm pretty sure that you aren't the one who is restricted by the roster here though, it would be the end CA FFL that actually does the transfer. Though I'm not 100%, perhaps one of our more knowledgeable members on FFL matters can chime in... (CHS???)

Librarian
03-09-2012, 4:32 PM
The Roster is a limitation on CA FFLs. It might be that the buyer is LEO, who are indeed exempt from the Roster, or it might be that the buyer plans to have it modified to meet the Single Shot Exemption.

TX_Aggie
03-09-2012, 4:40 PM
Thanks for the responses. He did not mention being LEO or converting to single shot but it was a short email. Should I send it to the OR FFL instead?

formula502
03-09-2012, 5:12 PM
I wouldn't think there would be any kind of problem sending it to the FFL. They can certainly accept it w/o it being on the roster.

The issues w/ the roster only arise when the FFL tries to perform the transfer to the buyer. If the buyer is not LEO or the FFL does not perform a single-shot-conversion, the gun cannot be transferred and is then in limbo.

However, you are out of the picture at this point and are in the clear... at least until the buyer calls and asks you if the FFL can ship it back to you for a refund.

bwiese
03-11-2012, 2:18 PM
Contact the FFL and individual to find out the real skinny.

You are not prohibited from shipping to CA FFL; he may or may not be able to transfer the gun to the buyer, depending on situation.

But some bonehead buyer may have decided to order this without knowing about our Roster - and ends up in a situation where the CA FFL ends up in the middle on (re)shipping charges.

This is why many CA FFLs will not do out of state transfers without advance notice/approval, etc. [which should just be common courtesy anyway, you'd think...]

It is hard for me to imagine doing a single-shot conversion on an HK4 without sacrificing (apperance, quality, originality...) one of the extra caliber-conversion barrels to get to the 6+" min bbl length/10.5+" min overall length. Spare or aftermaret barrels for these pistols (in any caliber) are not that common.

Veggie
03-11-2012, 3:54 PM
Contact the FFL and individual to find out the real skinny.

You are not prohibited from shipping to CA FFL; he may or may not be able to transfer the gun to the buyer, depending on situation.

But some bonehead buyer may have decided to order this without knowing about our Roster - and ends up in a situation where the CA FFL ends up in the middle on (re)shipping charges.

This is why many CA FFLs will not do out of state transfers without advance notice/approval, etc. [which should just be common courtesy anyway, you'd think...]

It is hard for me to imagine doing a single-shot conversion on an HK4 without sacrificing (apperance, quality, originality...) one of the extra caliber-conversion barrels to get to the 6+" min bbl length/10.5+" min overall length. Spare or aftermaret barrels for these pistols (in any caliber) are not that common.

Minimum barrel length on a pistol? Or did i miss something.

wayneinFL
03-11-2012, 5:13 PM
However, you are out of the picture at this point and are in the clear... at least until the buyer calls and asks you if the FFL can ship it back to you for a refund.

Yup. And that kind of issue is why a lot of people won't do business in CA. Years ago, I mailed a revolver to a buyer's FFL in CA, at just a little over wholesale. IIRC, it was about a month later, he ended up with some kind of an issue and wanted a refund.

At that point the only one who has any incentive to pay for shipping home is the seller (aka me). So I'd have to buy the gun back from him including shipping AND pay for shipping back. The buyer has no gun, the dealer has a free gun, and my gun is sitting in CA. And the dealer wanted a fortune for overnight from CA to FL. I felt horrible for the guy, I really did. I didn't want to be a jerk about it, but I had to tell him to figure out a way to make it work. To avoid hard feelings in the future I gave up on selling to Californians.

vincewarde
03-11-2012, 9:45 PM
Too bad it's not on the C&R list.

saki302
03-12-2012, 4:37 AM
If the seller pays, and you get a valid FFL copy, you can send it without any worry to the buyer's FFL. At that point it becomes someone else's problem.

-Dave

stix213
03-12-2012, 8:08 AM
Minimum barrel length on a pistol? Or did i miss something.

SSE has minimum barrel and overall length requirements.

SgtDinosaur
03-12-2012, 9:19 AM
Sending it to Oregon sounds a little dodgey if the buyer lives in Ca. Unless he has dual residency.

CHS
03-12-2012, 10:51 AM
Sending it to Oregon sounds a little dodgey if the buyer lives in Ca. Unless he has dual residency.

If it's being sent to an FFL it shouldn't matter. Private party sending a firearm to an FFL is legal. Period.

Perhaps the Oregon FFL is going to make modifications to the firearm to make it legal for the buyer before it gets sent to the CA FFL?

I don't see why you think doing perfectly legal things sounds dodgy.

bwiese
03-12-2012, 10:58 AM

I'm betting the OR FFL involved is gonna do the single-shot conversion somehow - though there is no specific reason a CA FFL cannot do a drop-in conversion.