PDA

View Full Version : Background check delay cost me a deal

Marthor
03-09-2012, 5:16 PM
On opening day at the new AFB gun-counter, I finally laid eyes on a long-sought Ruger SR1911... Why do I not have my Ruger 1911?

Government background checks have cost me unnecessary time in the past. Today it cost me money and a great deal. It was opening day at Langley AFB new gun-counter. They had some terrific deals. My background check was "delayed" and the SR1911 I was getting sold out. Why are they wasting my time with an unnecessary "delay" like has happened before? Today, the "delay" cost me the deal. I have a carry license, so my stuff should go through without a delay. In fact, if you have a valid carry license already, you shouldn't have to do background check again at all! Government generally always does things poorly. Today was an example of this. Half the blame can go on the AFB gun-counter since they wouldn't hold the gun during the background check. Most gun-shops will hold the gun for you during the background check, but not the government run AFB gun-counter. They let some other guy whose check wasn't delayed buy my gun. LOL

So, does anybody know how I can find out why my stuff is getting delayed? I figured it was because I bought several guns last year, but the delays are getting longer each time and now it cost me a deal.

Why am i getting flagged? Other people's checks were going right through?

stix213
03-09-2012, 5:20 PM
I thought that the S/N of your gun was submitted during DROS of a handgun. How could they sell it to someone else while its on your paperwork? Perhaps I am just mistaken.

bussda
03-09-2012, 5:26 PM
This sounds like this thread: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=8159846&highlight=delay#post8159846

Marthor
03-09-2012, 5:31 PM
Alas, my background check is still in in delayed status, and the gun is sold and gone.

I was considering getting a Berreta Neos 22LR target pistol instead when the check comes through. That won't work?

BTW, I need a 22LR target pistol because my Ruger 22/45 has a "threaded barrel" so by definition my Ruger 22LR is an assault weapon in CA. So, I've had to store my target pistol and many other items out-of-state so i'll be legal when I get stationed in CA soon. What a hassle!

TheBest
03-09-2012, 5:32 PM
I thought that the S/N of your gun was submitted during DROS of a handgun. How could they sell it to someone else while its on your paperwork? Perhaps I am just mistaken.
My wonder as well. Once the money changed hands, that gun is yours pending DROS.

NotEnufGarage
03-09-2012, 5:32 PM
DROS shouldn't be submitted until you have paid for the gun. I would never DROS a gun unless it was already legally mine, from the point of view of the commercial transaction.

Librarian
03-09-2012, 5:36 PM
DROS reference is inappropriate - OP is not yet in CA.

Why NICS should be giving problems I cannot know - CA doesn't use it where we buyers can see it, if they use it at all.

Marthor
03-09-2012, 5:47 PM
I haven't paid for the gun. I got several guns here in Virginia last year, and they do the background check first and then you pay for it. Every single time they always set the gun aside during a delay.

A year ago, I got a gun with no delay. Then I bought another and got my first delay, but it was only 2 hours. Then a 5 hour delay. Then a 24 hour delay. It has lined up to be a longer delay each time? That made me assume the delays were because of multiple gun purchases. Now that the delays are getting excessively long and now cost me a deal too, I want to resolve the problem. Why am I being delayed?

stix213
03-09-2012, 6:20 PM

Why NICS should be giving problems I cannot know - CA doesn't use it where we buyers can see it, if they use it at all.

Ahh that makes sense...

Here in CA its normal to pay for your gun in advance, since you're going to have to wait a week and a half pretty much any way you slice it.

bussda
03-09-2012, 6:28 PM
A theory:

Large numbers of people are buying firearms. If a NICS check has a flag, it requires a separate person to authorize it. But large numbers of clearances with limited staff can increase authorization time.
So. What is on your NICS report? And you need to inquire of ATF/DOJ (Federal) of any changes to the NICS clearance process in the last 4 years. (Maybe in the Federal Register?)

HskrVern
03-09-2012, 7:24 PM
I haven't paid for the gun. I got several guns here in Virginia last year, and they do the background check first and then you pay for it. Every single time they always set the gun aside during a delay.

A year ago, I got a gun with no delay. Then I bought another and got my first delay, but it was only 2 hours. Then a 5 hour delay. Then a 24 hour delay. It has lined up to be a longer delay each time? That made me assume the delays were because of multiple gun purchases. Now that the delays are getting excessively long and now cost me a deal too, I want to resolve the problem. Why am I being delayed?

Where in the heck in VA did you go that made you do the back ground check first? I purchased a few pistols in hampton roads and always paid first.

NotEnufGarage
03-09-2012, 7:55 PM

OP should probably be complaining on a VA gun board. We don't use NICS here, so few if anyone here would be able to provide any guidance.

Sgt Raven
03-09-2012, 8:31 PM
OP maybe you need to get a NICS "Unique Personal Identification Number", because you're name is the same as some other person that has problems.

dwtt
03-09-2012, 9:06 PM
Folks, Langley AFB is in Virginia, not California. When you buy a gun in Virigina, the dealer does a check electronically with the state police to see if you are disqualified from buying the firearm. It takes 5-10 minutes, and is painless. If the background check is "delayed" it was rejected. The most common reason the background check is rejected is because the person punching in the information into the computer made a mistake or the buyer wrote down incorrect information. I bought several guns in VA and never had any problems at a local gun store, NOVA Armament. Maybe the OP should consider buying from them, they're not far from Langley.

Edit: the Chantilly gun show near Dulles airport is the largest in northern VA, and some good deals can be found. Maybe the OP should consider spending a Saturday at the next show and get the background check done correctly by a licensed FFL.

Anchors
03-09-2012, 10:07 PM
Folks, Langley AFB is in Virginia, not California. When you buy a gun in Virigina, the dealer does a check electronically with the state police to see if you are disqualified from buying the firearm. It takes 5-10 minutes, and is painless. If the background check is "delayed" it was rejected. The most common reason the background check is rejected is because the person punching in the information into the computer made a mistake or the buyer wrote down incorrect information. I bought several guns in VA and never had any problems at a local gun store, NOVA Armament. Maybe the OP should consider buying from them, they're not far from Langley.

Edit: the Chantilly gun show near Dulles airport is the largest in northern VA, and some good deals can be found. Maybe the OP should consider spending a Saturday at the next show and get the background check done correctly by a licensed FFL.

Weird. In Arizona they just call in NICS, but if you have a CCW, you're not required to get NICS checked because you already submitted FBI ink cards, etc.

Walk in, show AZ ID and CCW, pay, leave.

Marthor
03-10-2012, 2:20 AM
Where in the heck in VA did you go that made you do the back ground check first? I purchased a few pistols in hampton roads and always paid first.

Internet orders to a FFL transfer are pay first and then pick up when your FFL does the background check with the transfer.

I bought off the shelf Inventory last year at Bass Pro, A&P Firearms, DK Firearms (gunshow table) and they all do the check first.

Marthor
03-10-2012, 2:31 AM
If the background check is "delayed" it was rejected. The most common reason the background check is rejected is because the person punching in the information into the computer made a mistake or the buyer wrote down incorrect information.... Maybe the OP should consider spending a Saturday at the next show and get the background check done correctly by a licensed FFL.

Delayed doesn't mean rejected. Delayed has meant delayed for 2 to 24 hours so far. I bought 2 guns at Bass Pro Shop last year and they have a laptop where you enter your own info for the background check. You enter and then review your own info. The clerk just verifies your two IDs. There was no data error, but still got delayed.

Afraid I couldn't buy at a gunshow now, because if it's up to a 24 or more delay like the last 2, then I can't make it same day. My last gunshow buy was over a 5 hour delay! I put in before 11 and it didn't approve until after 4 and barely before they closed.

Marthor
03-10-2012, 2:34 AM
OP maybe you need to get a NICS "Unique Personal Identification Number", because you're name is the same as some other person that has problems.

My SSN should work just as well. I always put my SSN in.

NotEnufGarage
03-10-2012, 2:38 AM
OP - Everything you wanted to know about NICS including numbers to call for appeals. See the voluntary appeal section ;

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/general-information/fact-sheet

HskrVern
03-10-2012, 5:09 PM
Internet orders to a FFL transfer are pay first and then pick up when your FFL does the background check with the transfer.

I bought off the shelf Inventory last year at Bass Pro, A&P Firearms, DK Firearms (gunshow table) and they all do the check first.

Ah, A&P is kinda cool. The range is good and the service is top notch, except one skinny chick that just pisses me off every time I went there and I eventually refused to speak or be serviced by her.

kaligaran
03-11-2012, 3:13 AM

It's actually surprising to me that people have paid before the background check.
I've purchased a few guns in TN and FL and every time (including gun shows) they have done a background check before the financial transaction. Note that usually they set the gun aside while this is happening.
The check as a prereq is what I thought was the normal procedure.

Each and every time I've done a purchase I had a CCW. The only difference that made was that in FL a CCW makes any gun a cash and carry purchase, whereas it's a 3 day cooloff period if no CCW.

tenpercentfirearms
03-11-2012, 8:09 AM
Honestly this sounds like it is more of an issue with the gun store than the background check. They were not willing to hold your firearm while you were on delay sounds like a fairly uncaring policy. I understand that they are in the business to sell guns, not hold onto them, but if they have a cancellation/denial fee of like 15% or more, then they would have made money if you got denied and still been able to sell it.

If a guy got delayed, I wouldn't sell his gun out from under him.

Delays happen, it is part of the process. Gun dealers not caring and moving on without you are the problem.

Marthor
03-12-2012, 6:40 PM
Here's the end of the story...

Found out that NICS has an appeal process to resolve "delays" so it won't keep happening. The bad news is that I have to file an application, a fingerprint card and a fee. I'm not doing all that! IMO, when they approve my check, they should automatically permanently resolve the flag rather than leave it there for next time. A relative gave me the idea to have my wife buy it if I'm at a gunshow or at a situation like this where they won't hold the gun. Good idea that is legal!

Automatic relief is coming too, because I also heard the background check responsibility will revert back to the FBI next year. They said Obama wanted to give the current organization another year to get better by themselves, but no additional funding... So it won't get better this year.

My background check had at least a 24 hour delay, but came through sometime over the weekend or today. When I stopped by the BX, they didn't have the Ruger SR1911 and couldn't say when they'd get more in, so I went with a Walther P22 for a decent $350 price (no tax). Since we're moving to CA soon, I had to put my Ruger 22/45 threaded barrel in storage, so that left me without a target pistol for the years I'd be stationed in CA. Stupid CA law makes my Ruger 22LR threaded barrel illegal which is retarded. So, the Walther P22 will probably be the first real pistol my daughter gets to fire and fills the current niche of needing a 22LR pistol plinker while in CA. It's got a rail too. :)

Oh, part of the grand opening was a free Ruger T-shirt if you buy a gun, until they run out. At least the delay didn't cost me that too! New gun, free Ruger shirt... Happy.