PDA

View Full Version : OVER THE TOP top shelf build...AR 14 1/2" carbine

BigBamBoo
03-09-2012, 3:17 PM
Back at it again. Amber and I have plans to do quite a bit of out of state traveling this summer. And as I had some extra parts laying about I thought it would be nice to have a compact, light weight, "traveling carbine". Most of the areas we will be going to are pretty remote so this will help me sleep better at night. :rolleyes:

No expenses were spared on this build....my way of doing things does not revolve around price points. I want the "best" when I do something. So here is the shopping list:

Seekins SP-223 billet lower...bad azz lower! Built in ambi bolt release and plain sexiness.
AR Gold 2 stage 3 lb. trigger
Ace Socom carbine stock
JP PSC-11 billet upper dual charging...main side charger plus top charging handle
I went a bit different with this set up. I mainly prefer stainless,match barrels/chambers on my rifles as I am all about precision. But...as this will be a "traveling" carbine I opted for a chrome lined,hand lapped, 5.56 chamber, 1:8 twist 14 1/2" with pinned and welded YH Phantom brake/comp. Rifle length hand guard. Or...it is a mid length gas tube, but like all JP's it has the adjustable gas block so it really foes not matter the gas tube length. Full mass BCG. Again...going for as close to "bullet proof" operation as possible.

And topped off with a Leupold Tactical Prismatic 1X scope. Why this and not a "red dot" type sight? Easy...my eyes are not what the use to be. And the prismatic scope allows me to use it with out my glasses. The field of view is HUGE on these scopes. They are day light visible illumination...but they had a etched glass reticle so no illumination needed unless your in low light conditions.

Just a note...the Seekins lower and JP upper blend very well together..almost like they were made for one another.

Anyways...just thought I would share.

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/2521/dsc00352copy.jpg (http://img641.imageshack.us/i/dsc00352copy.jpg/)

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/6493/dsc00359copy.jpg (http://img818.imageshack.us/i/dsc00359copy.jpg/)

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/7495/dsc00355copy.jpg (http://img821.imageshack.us/i/dsc00355copy.jpg/)

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/4023/dsc00358copy.jpg (http://img706.imageshack.us/i/dsc00358copy.jpg/)

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/3527/dsc00357copy.jpg (http://img707.imageshack.us/i/dsc00357copy.jpg/)

0331Marine
03-09-2012, 3:24 PM
Dang, and I thought I was the only one that knew about the AR Gold trigger(others are missing out).....Very very nice build!!! That lower will be on my next one.

icenix
03-09-2012, 6:37 PM
Very nice. I like the look of that gun. Where did you get the trigger?

BigBamBoo
03-09-2012, 6:40 PM
Thanks guys. Most of the parts came from Brownells outside of the upper and lower.

Spyder
03-09-2012, 6:47 PM
Dangitt, I'm gonna have to put together a travelin' carbine too then!

Meety Peety
03-09-2012, 6:49 PM
Very nice build man! Classy, but still means business. It's nice to see a not so cookie cutter AR every once in a while.. let us know how it shoots ASAP :D

BigBamBoo
03-09-2012, 6:55 PM
Dangitt, I'm gonna have to put together a travelin' carbine too then!

You better do it man....we got some traveling to do! Hope all is good in your world.

Very nice build man! Classy, but still means business. It's nice to see a not so cookie cutter AR every once in a while.. let us know how it shoots ASAP :D

Thank you. Soon as I get a chance to hit the range I will post up a range report.

Javi
03-09-2012, 7:01 PM
Woah, their barrels are expensive haha. I'm all ears when I hear barrels with 1 in 8" twist since that's what I want. They're harder to find since 1 in 7" is the trend. Your build looks suppper nice, definitely quality. Range report!

TNP'R
03-09-2012, 7:05 PM
WANT! Nice AR!

BillyGoatMachine
03-09-2012, 7:07 PM
Everything looks fantastic and quality to me. But why did you pick DPMS as the LPK? I would have went DD or RR. Other than that, looks sweet.

Javi
03-09-2012, 7:08 PM
Everything looks fantastic and quality to me. But why did you pick DPMS as the LPK? I would have went DD or RR. Other than that, looks sweet.

Yeah, that really stuck out to me haha. Should do fine, I think?

t0kie
03-09-2012, 7:10 PM
That's a nice piece!

BigBamBoo
03-09-2012, 7:33 PM
You probably do not realize, but the only parts used from the LPK I used were the pistol grip screw,washer,selector,and take down springs and detents. The AR gold trigger comes with its on pins. The lower comes with the bolt catch assembled. So if you can truley show me a difference in quality in those few minor parts, I will swap them out. Seems to me the trigger is the most important part of a LPK and as I went with a top end one that base is covered.

BillyGoatMachine
03-09-2012, 7:36 PM
You probably do not realize, but the only parts used from the LPK I used were the pistol grip screw,washer,selector,and take down springs and detents. The AR gold trigger comes with its on pins. The lower comes with the bolt catch assembled. So if you can truley show me a difference in quality in those few minor parts, I will swap them out. Seems to me the trigger is the most important part of a LPK and as I went with a top end one that base is covered.

Ahh, I understand now:)

MultiCaliber
03-09-2012, 7:38 PM
Niiiiiiice.

HK Dave
03-09-2012, 7:47 PM
Nice build. I wonder if there's a way to pin that ACE stock without doing anything permanent to it, I'd love it for a featureless.

BigBamBoo
03-09-2012, 7:47 PM
Ahh, I understand now:)

Lol...yeah I kinda figured folks might over look the trigger when they see the DPMS LPK.
This is the 2nd AR Gold trigger I have. They are two stage triggers. The rest have Timeny triggers. To be honest I kinda like the Timney single stage trigger better for the AR platform.

BigBamBoo
03-09-2012, 7:50 PM
Nice build. I wonder if there's a way to pin that ACE stock without doing anything permanent to it, I'd love it for a featureless.

They come with a screw that makes it non-adjustable. Not sure what the law is for featureless? But maybe that would work?

Javi
03-09-2012, 7:59 PM
They come with a screw that makes it non-adjustable. Not sure what the law is for featureless? But maybe that would work?

They'd probably want it so you can't unscrew it again(Well, pretty permanent, at least).

vta
03-09-2012, 8:29 PM
They'd probably want it so you can't unscrew it again(Well, pretty permanent, at least).

Does not need to be permanent. Muzzle brakes, kydex grip sleeves are all just screwed on and can easily be removed.

Javi
03-09-2012, 8:40 PM
Does not need to be permanent. Muzzle brakes, kydex grip sleeves are all just screwed on and can easily be removed.

Ah, true! That's a really neat stock. I dig it but don't want to pay the price for it. Most likely sticking to an A1 USGI stock.

BigBamBoo
03-10-2012, 8:40 PM
If you look at the Exile Machine Hammerhead grip, I think he shows some of these stocks in different configs for featureless builds.

Took this rig out today and zeroed it at 50 yards and tuned the gas block to the XM855 ammo I plan on running in this rig. Shot like a JP....smooth and accurate. I ruined one of my buddies 1/4" mild steel target....oops. I thought I was missing it...I was scratching my head till we walked out to the target. Nice holes right through it.

MrExel17
03-10-2012, 9:57 PM
Thats nice.

hollowpoint
03-11-2012, 1:25 PM
Nice build! Any trigger time with that Leupold? I've done the Eotech & Aimpoint thing (great choices) just interested in something new, never realized this was available. Again nice build.

BigBamBoo
03-11-2012, 2:10 PM
This is second Leupold Prismatic I have owned. First one was on a 9mm AR build. I really like them. My eyes are not what they use to be. So the red dot do not work for me. A 4 moa dot becomes a 10 moa blob.

It does not need illumination to work...it is a scope....but the illumination is very nice. No bleed through even on the highest setting. And it is daylight visable on the higher settings.

Most folks over look these because they are not "tactical" enough and they do not use them on Call of Duty or whatever the latest FPS game is. But they work for me.

FOV on these are HUGE. Both eyes open shooting is bight and crisp. The mount is adjustable for hight by different size risers (included). And GG&G and others make quick disconnect bases for them.

Take care,Stan

hollowpoint
03-17-2012, 2:18 PM
This is second Leupold Prismatic I have owned. First one was on a 9mm AR build. I really like them. My eyes are not what they use to be. So the red dot do not work for me. A 4 moa dot becomes a 10 moa blob.

It does not need illumination to work...it is a scope....but the illumination is very nice. No bleed through even on the highest setting. And it is daylight visable on the higher settings.

Most folks over look these because they are not "tactical" enough and they do not use them on Call of Duty or whatever the latest FPS game is. But they work for me.

FOV on these are HUGE. Both eyes open shooting is bight and crisp. The mount is adjustable for hight by different size risers (included). And GG&G and others make quick disconnect bases for them.

Take care,Stan

Going to order this tonight, one question is the model you have mounted the tactical model with the circle plex reticle or the double circle dot model?

Looking forward to this Leupold this since my astigmatism makes it tough to hold on to my eotechs & aimpoints.

Thanks again!

BigBamBoo
03-17-2012, 4:41 PM
I have the Tactical model with the circle plex. I was out shooting this set up today. Lots of fun! Hammering a 100 yard 8" gong with both eyes open was no problem at all.
Was able to wack the 300 yard silhouette fairly regularly as well. I have a 50 yard zero so I put the dot on the head of silhouette and it work well.

With my eyes I would never had been able to do that with a red dot....a 4 MOA Eotech dot turns into a 10 MOA with my eyes these days.

Let me know what you think of the scope once you get it.

Take care,Stan

SuperSet
03-17-2012, 4:51 PM
You mean 4MOA Aimpoint? EOTechs are 1MOA. I only correct you because my EOTech sensibilities are hurt :)
Nice build! That AR Gold trigger is definitely fun to shoot.

mlevans66
03-17-2012, 5:02 PM
That is one nice looking travel gun! :thumbsup:

BigBamBoo
03-17-2012, 5:02 PM
Aimpoint/Eotech....they all work the same for me so they are classed in the same category for me. Back when my eyes were young and I was high speed low drag I was all about red dot sights. Not so much these days.

And don't worry...you too will discover that youth and agility is soon replaced by old age and misery! :(

SuperSet
03-17-2012, 5:12 PM
Trust me, I know how you feel. I can't see well out of my left eye due to a developing cataract. That makes shooting from the support shoulder difficult since all reticles are blobs. I'm thankful that, at least, it's not in my dominant, shooting eye!

Huge Grant
03-17-2012, 10:44 PM
Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick

thedudeabides
03-17-2012, 11:06 PM
wow nice gun man. probably the most unique AR iv'e ever seen, and i like.

FIREBALL_BRIAN
03-18-2012, 7:29 AM
Not sure if I missed it, what is the overall weight? It looks awesome. Good build

BigBamBoo
03-18-2012, 7:45 AM
Thanks everyone for the great response. I always try to put together something that is unique and different from the norm.

As far as weight....not sure. It is pretty lite. The barrel is small profile (what people call pencil barrel) which really cuts down on weight. A note on that. I run the JP thermal dissipator on all my JP's. This allows for use of a lite weight barrel profile but gives far better cooling then a heavy barrel.
Of I had to guess on weight I would say no more then 6 lbs.? It is very handy.

Take care,Stan

FIREBALL_BRIAN
03-18-2012, 5:57 PM
Stan I do amdire you build. I keep referring to it again and again. Thanks for the approx weight

shooperman
03-18-2012, 6:06 PM
Very nice. I really like that lower. Congrats!

nitroxdiver
03-18-2012, 6:44 PM
That is a nice looking well built rifle. I particularly like the ambi bolt release and the side charging handle. Enjoy it and happy shooting.

Szabi B
03-18-2012, 7:19 PM
Man Your Ar is awsome,great platform, and and upper iv never seen.A+++

BigBamBoo
03-18-2012, 8:09 PM
The ambi bolt release is VERY handy. I kinda thought it would be more of a novelty then something truly functional. But once you seat a mag you just lift your trigger finger and push. If we were not in CA (or on a featureless rifle) I think this would speed up mag changes.

Szabi....JP Enterprises. Those are the only uppers I use on my AR's. I currently own three and have owned five total so far. They are the Ferrari of AR's IMHO.

Take care,Stan