PDA

View Full Version : Legality of Health Questionnaire

BlK Lantern
03-09-2012, 2:24 PM
Today I took a day off to give my daughter moral support while is being administered her pre-school vaccinations. While my wife & I reviewed the pre-appointment packet one particular page stood out the most. This page was called DHS 7098(B) Health Education Behavioral Assesment. The questionnaire seemed standard for example "How many servings of dairy products you give your child?" and etc. Until question # 17. "Does your child spend time in a home where a gun is kept?" According to the receptionist this questionnaire was standard for all NEW patients. In addition to the right of each question you have a choice of 4 answers to choose from, "Never, Sometimes, Often or Skip." Then next to each answer this a separate column that is marked "For office use only" & under that heading is a legend for risk assessment level codes. After reviewing the questionnaire my wife & I decided it would probably serve us better to return to our more conservative Pediatrician. *Note: This was a community clinic not a private practice.

BlK Lantern
03-09-2012, 2:26 PM
Apologies for the misspelling it's a pain for my to type on a phone vs a keyboard.

curtisfong
03-09-2012, 2:36 PM
Standard questionnaire.

http://www.dhcs.ca.gov/formsandpubs/forms/Forms/MMCDStayingHealthyAssessmentEnglish.pdf

TheBest
03-09-2012, 2:40 PM
Today I took a day off to give my daughter moral support while is being administered her pre-school vaccinations. While my wife & I reviewed the pre-appointment packet one particular page stood out the most. This page was called DHS 7098(B) Health Education Behavioral Assesment. The questionnaire seemed standard for example "How many servings of dairy products you give your child?" and etc. Until question # 17. "Does your child spend time in a home where a gun is kept?" According to the receptionist this questionnaire was standard for all NEW patients. In addition to the right of each question you have a choice of 4 answers to choose from, "Never, Sometimes, Often or Skip." Then next to each answer this a separate column that is marked "For office use only" & under that heading is a legend for risk assessment level codes. After reviewing the questionnaire my wife & I decided it would probably serve us better to return to our more conservative Pediatrician. *Note: This was a community clinic not a private practice.

Don't know about the legality, but why not just do Skip for all? The clinic might be getting funds from the state so there needs to be some metric of the children being treated.

gobler
03-09-2012, 3:41 PM
I'd skip em all! None of there business.

Sent from somewhere in space & time...

OleCuss
03-09-2012, 4:23 PM
Just don't answer the questions you don't want to answer (unless someone explains how it is pertinent to the patient's health concerns). If they make an issue of it - go elsewhere.

My physician's office will now ask a whole bunch of questions when I present to the reception desk. I just won't answer them. Most of it is just none of their business. If my physician asks the question I'll probably answer it if it seems pertinent. If he can explain why it is significant and pertinent to my satisfaction I'll answer it even if I wouldn't at the first.

choprzrul
03-09-2012, 4:24 PM
Skip
Skip
Skip
Comments:

"Child lives in an environment where 1 or more civil rights are freely exercised."

Standard form complete....

dustoff31
03-09-2012, 4:56 PM
It's legal for them to ask the question. They of course want the "school solution" answer. So give it to them. Based on your avatar, you certainly know that drill.

But returning to your private physician was a wise choice. Enjoy that while it lasts.

alfred1222
03-09-2012, 5:11 PM
Skip
Skip
Skip
Comments:

"Child lives in an environment where 1 or more civil rights are freely exercised."

Sounds like a good answer to me

Wherryj
03-09-2012, 5:27 PM
I'd skip em all! None of there business.

Sent from somewhere in space & time...

You have the right to refuse to answer. Unfortunately there are certain forms that the government has mandated, so the offices don't have a choice sometimes.

I just had a patient give me an earful about having to fill out some new patient info including the required HIPPA forms and proof of identity. I don't really care if a patient fills them out of not. I give them to everyone because I HAVE to or my state medical board will revoke my license.

Don't always hold it against the physician. It could be mandated. Just remember that you DO have the right to refuse to answer. You also have the right to answer "no". A gun in the house stored safely isn't a health risk. If it is not a health risk, not informing the doctor about the non-health risk isn't really an issue. Not telling him your daughter has anaphylaxic reaction to penicillin IS an issue.

Wherryj
03-09-2012, 5:31 PM
It's legal for them to ask the question. They of course want the "school solution" answer. So give it to them. Based on your avatar, you certainly know that drill.

But returning to your private physician was a wise choice. Enjoy that while it lasts.

It is always a good thing to return to a physician with whom you have a personal relationship-as long as it is a positive one. As for the forms please remember that there ARE state and local requirements for some forms and questionnaires.

Just like most other laws they are too poorly written and too numerous for anyone to really understand. Therefore most physicians either over-comply or under-comply out of ignorance. It is possible that your private physician doesn't realize that they are supposed to offer you the form. It is also possible that the clinic went overboard and grabbed whatever standard form was available, even if it is nosy and intrusive.

a1c
03-09-2012, 8:51 PM
That is crazy they would ask that.

Man, if there is one thing I miss from Europe, it's the healthcare system.

varn
04-14-2014, 11:37 AM
Just went to my family doctor. They handed me this form to fill out (DHCS 7098), "Staying healthy Assessment, Senior". They told me that it is now a requirement of the health insurance. Quiestion num ber 16 is "Do you keep a gun in your house or place where you live?" Question number 10 is, "Do you feel safe where you live?". This form started out with the usual health questyions about diet, exercise, weight, dental related, sleeping, tobacco and alcohol use, etc. But along the line they slipped in these two questions about having a gun and whether you feel safe or not.

stix213
04-14-2014, 12:39 PM
I thought that recording gun status questions on paper or electronically was forbidden under the ACA, and that only verbal questions with no note taking was allowed.

OlderThanDirt
04-14-2014, 12:49 PM
Skip
Skip
Skip
Comments:

"Child lives in an environment where 1 or more all civil rights are freely exercised."

FIFY

Bluesman
04-14-2014, 3:39 PM
I was discussing this very thing in General Topics.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=918427

waxer
04-14-2014, 4:06 PM

I saw this form too when I took my baby to Kaiser. At the bottom of the form it said in small print that it was optional or voluntary. Well I volunteered to put that form into my backpack and not submit to it. To hell with those kinds of questions.

CBruce
04-14-2014, 5:56 PM

That question should be rephrased as "Does your child have access to guns?"

Answering yes indicates a potential health risk. Answering no neither confirms or denies the ownership of firearms.

Artema
04-14-2014, 6:05 PM
Yeah, I'd choose SKIP on random questions, and include that one. That would throw people off.

AceGirlsHusband
04-15-2014, 5:41 AM
That question should be rephrased as "Does your child have access to guns?"

Answering yes indicates a potential health risk. Answering no neither confirms or denies the ownership of firearms.

It certainly could've been phrased that way: but it wasn't. Which leads a lot of people to think the purpose of the question isn't "health" related, and the data is being accumulated by entities other than physicians and health-care professionals. Personally, I doubt that - but in this day and age, who really knows?

The War Wagon
04-15-2014, 5:53 AM
Lie.

Libtards do it all the time, so, what's good for the GOOSE... http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-finger007.gif

varn
04-15-2014, 9:47 AM
This is nothing more than "back door" gun registration for firearms that never had to be registered. Some people will have rifles and/or old shotguns in their home and absent mindedly answer "Yes" to that question, not realizing what the future repercussions will be. At that point "they" now know that there is a firearm there.

RobertMW
04-15-2014, 11:17 AM
Just went to my family doctor. They handed me this form to fill out (DHCS 7098), "Staying healthy Assessment, Senior". They told me that it is now a requirement of the health insurance. Quiestion num ber 16 is "Do you keep a gun in your house or place where you live?" Question number 10 is, "Do you feel safe where you live?". This form started out with the usual health questyions about diet, exercise, weight, dental related, sleeping, tobacco and alcohol use, etc. But along the line they slipped in these two questions about having a gun and whether you feel safe or not.

The first one I understand, it is a new requirement for doctors to ask patients of their safety, in confidence, my wife wasn't even allowed into the room for the first part of my most recent examination when we were trying to figure out the cause of some splitting pain in my head. Senior abuse has become more prevalent, so I feel it is ok for a doctor to be able to make sure that seniors are not being taken advantage of in their own home.

But there is no reason to ask about guns. If a senior answers that they are unsafe in their own home, THEN they can voluntarily say that guns in the home ARE making them unsafe. Just having them is NOT a cause, and should not be treated as one. They should put "does your home have stairs," before they ask about guns.

Doheny
04-15-2014, 11:49 AM

Good thing he didn't ask you if you bump two year old threads. :oji:

Wherryj
04-18-2014, 8:33 AM
Standard questionnaire.

http://www.dhcs.ca.gov/formsandpubs/forms/Forms/MMCDStayingHealthyAssessmentEnglish.pdf

Standard government form + the reason that the government is trying to force adoption of electronic health records = ???

Jimi Jah
04-18-2014, 9:10 AM
Send it back in smeared with dog crap.

varn
04-18-2014, 3:16 PM
What states is this form being used? I am in California and this week was the first time that my Dr. asked me to complete this form. A friend is in Utah and he has yet to see this form. Would it be just the blue atates that are doing this?

Doheny
04-18-2014, 3:27 PM
Just the blue states? That's rich.

You can probably find about a dozen threads on the issue if you look.

Sent from my iPhone; please pardon typos, edits & stupid comments.

The Gleam
04-19-2014, 1:18 AM
"Does your child spend time in a home where a gun is kept?"

No; she spends time on a range where the gun is kept... on target.

She's quite the marksman!

Tincon
04-19-2014, 1:25 AM
I don't fill out half the crap I get in Doctor's offices. They rarely say anything. They know it's not their business. But I have no idea what you mean by "Legality of Health Questionnaire."

colossians323
04-19-2014, 9:45 AM
Why are you concerned with the legality? Why don't you answer with a question, or don't answer it at all? That question or questions concerning guns has been here for around 20 years. Be smart about it and you won't have to concern your self with the 'legality' of some stoopid form :)

CSACANNONEER
04-20-2014, 7:38 AM
I would have answered "Of course she does. She manufactures her own firearms and stores them in her safe".

Nurse_Rep
04-20-2014, 12:34 PM
The question " Do you have guns at home ?" followed up by another " Do you keep it lock if yes to the question above? " were asked in the questionnaire when I brought my kid to the clinic. I answered NO because first I valued my privacy and second the healthcare business is always antigun.

RobG
04-20-2014, 2:52 PM
They can ask anything they want. You do not have to answer. Questions like these are a way to make guns a "health" issue which the antis will use in the future in some way.