PDA

View Full Version : Gun Rights Advocate Gets $25K Settlement from Philly

Southwest Chuck
03-09-2012, 11:41 AM
http://lansdale.patch.com/articles/lansdale-gun-rights-advocate-gets-25k-settlement-from-philly

The city and the individual officers, including Commissioner Ramsey, have agreed to the entry of a judgment against them, which shows that they are cognizant of having violated Mr. Fiorino’s constitutional rights."

Can you say WIN !

This week just gets better and better...... :43:

spalterego
03-09-2012, 11:46 AM
I love the fact that there was an entry of judgment and not a pure settlement with the City and Police officers maintaining their belief that they did nothing wrong and settled merely to make the dispute go away.

Southwest Chuck
03-09-2012, 11:56 AM
I love the fact that there was an entry of judgment and not a pure settlement with the City and Police officers maintaining their belief that they did nothing wrong and settled merely to make the dispute go away.

Agreed.
I love the fact also that the local ACLU was involved in GUN RIGHTS LITIGATION !!! :eek: :43:

Decoligny
03-09-2012, 11:57 AM
"the city of Philadelphia has taken steps to train its officers on the rights at issue in this case to prevent this from happening again."

This is one of the most important parts.

GaryV
03-09-2012, 1:26 PM
Agreed.
I love the fact also that the local ACLU was involved in GUN RIGHTS LITIGATION !!! :eek: :43:

Yeah, but the suit was on 1st and 4th Amendment grounds; not a 2A case. The ACLU has a long history of defending the 1A rights of people even when they don't agree with them, so this isn't at all surprising. Had they made a 2A argument, then that would have been something to get excited about.

stix213
03-09-2012, 2:00 PM
This was the incident where the cops told the guy legally carrying that they were going to kill him right on the spot, right?

Southwest Chuck
03-09-2012, 3:42 PM
Yeah, but the suit was on 1st and 4th Amendment grounds; not a 2A case. The ACLU has a long history of defending the 1A rights of people even when they don't agree with them, so this isn't at all surprising. Had they made a 2A argument, then that would have been something to get excited about.

My post was made due to following a link to the original article they published on the incident. http://lansdale.patch.com/articles/lansdale-man-aclu-suing-philadelphia-police-for-retaliation-against-gun-rights

In it, it says:

Fiorino is an American citizen, exercising his right to bear arms.
He and the American Civil Liberties Union are taking the Philadelphia Police to court for violating that right, as well as his right to freedom of speech.

Leave it to the press to get it wrong again. :facepalm:
The complaint does, however, say that they violated his constitutional rights ... "including but not limited to his 1st and 4th amendment rights." http://www.aclupa.org/downloads/fiorino21412.pdf

I guess that's as close the ACLU will come to supporting the 2A, ha ha !
Little by little, though, inch by inch......;)

(so you're wrong... on a very weak and sketchy technicality :p)

Too bad they didn't have the backbone to argue it (2A) though.....

Southwest Chuck
03-09-2012, 3:43 PM
This was the incident where the cops told the guy legally carrying that they were going to kill him right on the spot, right?

Yup

Southwest Chuck
03-09-2012, 3:51 PM
I just noticed that "Exhibit A" is not attached to this (Judgment) document.
http://www.aclupa.org/downloads/Fiorino3812.pdf

Isn't that public information? I'm wondering if they admitted violating his 2A rights also... hum .....

Dreaded Claymore
03-09-2012, 3:52 PM
The ACLU has a long history of defending the 1A rights of people even when they don't agree with them

Thank the Gods for that. The fate of the Republic depends on our remembering that we are not more free than even the local KKK.

Gio
03-09-2012, 3:54 PM
Good news :)

gunsmith
03-09-2012, 6:58 PM
soooo-how much does the gunnie get and how much does ACLU get?
It could be a fun way to earn a living.

NotEnufGarage
03-09-2012, 7:04 PM
He got his point across, made them change their ways and walked away with some cash. All in all, a good outcome.