PDA

View Full Version : 20 gauge barrel assembly on 12 gauge O/U?

carlosdarwin
03-09-2012, 12:11 PM
I have a (perhaps dumb) question. I've been breaking clays for about a year, and am wondering if I could swap out my the 12 gauge barrel assembly in my O/U Mossberg Silver Reserve for a 20 gauge (or even 28) assembly.

Since the chamber is in the assembly, is there a reason it won't work? Or is it unsafe because the firing mechanism is built for 12 gauge firepower? Any feedback here would be much obliged.

~cdn
PS: My shoulders hurt! =)

SFgiants105
03-09-2012, 12:26 PM
Not sure about the receiver handling the loads, but a 20ga mag can have more kick than a 12ga game load, so for you purposes it would be fine. However, the positioning of the firing pins is aligned for a 12ga as well as the overall size of the receiver, so unless you had the barrel custom built, you're out of luck. maybe they make chamber inserts, but I'm not sure.

On that note, the barrel of a O/U is most of the gun. And Mossberg definitely wouldn't make barrel conversions (it's not even built by Mossberg, it's a Turkish gun, Yildiz). I hope you like yours, because I bought one and it broke after 75 rounds. It is now a novel decoration in my house.

I would say you have a few options. Get a new gun, or just get a shoulder pad or recoil pad. Or get into the habit of icing your shoulder after shooting.

Hope this helps.

Thefeeder
03-09-2012, 12:41 PM
You will not be able to just get a set of 20 barrels and slap them on. The recievers on most 20 are smaller than the 12. Second...the barrels on a O/U
are fitted to the reciever..so even a set from another 12 will not fit....It may be that all the barrels are machine cut and thats it with the Mossberg...so I may be wrong when it comes to Mossberg 12 to 12ga exchange.

Bottom line is if you want an extra set of 20ga barrels they would have to be custom made.

Also be aware that that there are plenty of O/U shotgun sets made with 12/20/28/410,
12/20, 20/28/410, 28/410.....these are two,three and 4 guage sets made at the factory.

Update....Mossbeg does make a 12/20 set...you may be able to do it after all.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/995821446/Guns/Shotguns/Mossberg-Shotguns/Mossberg_Silver_Reserve_COMBO_12_20_2_Barrel_Set_N E.htm

Rob454
03-09-2012, 3:20 PM
Mossberg wont even sell the barrels to you. The barrels are fitted to the receiver so unless you buy it as a 12/20 guage combo set you can't get another set of barrels. I think its more of a issue of fitting the barrels to the receiver rather than two separate types of receivers. I guess if you found a set of 20 ga barrels that do not close on your existing receiver you could have them milled down to fit your receiver for a tight closed fit but i doubt thats worth it.
Either sell your Silver Res and use the money to get a combo set. you can get probably 4-500 for your Silver Res depending on where you live and what condition its in.
OR
You can get those chamber inserts inserts that let a shotgun use various gauges both rifle and shotgun. I was thinking of getting a set for my Silver Reserve but i really don't use it enough anymore to warrant buying anything for it.
or
Go buy a 20 ga Over under.

Mana4real
03-09-2012, 3:32 PM
Mossberg wont even sell the barrels to you. The barrels are fitted to the receiver so unless you buy it as a 12/20 guage combo set you can't get another set of barrels. I think its more of a issue of fitting the barrels to the receiver rather than two separate types of receivers. I guess if you found a set of 20 ga barrels that do not close on your existing receiver you could have them milled down to fit your receiver for a tight closed fit but i doubt thats worth it.
Either sell your Silver Res and use the money to get a combo set. you can get probably 4-500 for your Silver Res depending on where you live and what condition its in.
OR
You can get those chamber inserts inserts that let a shotgun use various gauges both rifle and shotgun. I was thinking of getting a set for my Silver Reserve but i really don't use it enough anymore to warrant buying anything for it.
or
Go buy a 20 ga Over under.

That's what I was thinking.

Rob454
03-09-2012, 5:30 PM
That's what I was thinking.

Oh yeah? let me know how they work if you do get a set. I read up on them and I have mixed reviews. I see them as cheap as 20-30 all the way up to a few hundred.
I guess you can have the barrels sleeved to make them 20ga. I think some high end shotguns have those long metal sleeves available. i doubt they would make them for a mossberg. I guess you can probably get a machinist to make you a set.

Newshooter
03-09-2012, 6:18 PM
Chamber inserts are the way to go.

There are a few different types. You can with a Briley type system that has full length tubes and even accept choke tubes. This is definately the more expensive system. You might be able to buy a new gun for what this system might cost. The benefit is you get the true performance of the smaller gauge round as the tube is the full length of the barrel. Patterns are much more consistent with this type of system.

The other type you can use is a "chambermate" type of system. It is basically a reducer insert that goes into the chamber of the gun. You can get them for quite a few gauges, for example, 12 - 20, 12-28, 20-410. They are much shorter than the full length tubes and I believe they run between $50 and $100 for a set of two. These work to reduce the chamber size but you the pattern does suffer as the reduced section is much shorter than the barrel so the lesser amount of shot will open up in the bigger gauge tube.

Shooting smaller gauge shotguns is a blast and for the recreational shooter, I would recomment the "chambermate" type of insert.

bjl333
03-09-2012, 11:20 PM
I have a (perhaps dumb) question. I've been breaking clays for about a year, and am wondering if I could swap out my the 12 gauge barrel assembly in my O/U Mossberg Silver Reserve for a 20 gauge (or even 28) assembly.

Since the chamber is in the assembly, is there a reason it won't work? Or is it unsafe because the firing mechanism is built for 12 gauge firepower? Any feedback here would be much obliged.

~cdn
PS: My shoulders hurt! =)

Carlos, the Briley Sidekicks are a good way to go. They are good for light shooting and not heavy target practice. http://www.briley.com/side-kickchambertubesets.aspx

carlosdarwin
03-10-2012, 8:24 AM
Wow! Before posting this, I Googled around for 45 mins. and couldn't get a straight answer. And here, I get solid feedback after taking a few moments and waiting less than 24 hrs. I didn't pay much for this Mossberg, so for now, I think I'll likely just pad up and use the wimpiest loads until I can save up my bones for a cushier 20 gauge.

Maybe its worth not buying anything for a few months so that I can get an autoloader (which is supposed to have less recoil) in 20 gauge? Maybe one of those shmancy Beretta's with kick-off and all the trimmings except a reach-around? =)

Or maybe try to shoot ambidextrously to give my right shoulder a break?

Anyway, thanks for all the great feedback guys (sorry if its not all guys)!

Newshooter
03-10-2012, 8:33 AM
If you are having recoil issues, a couple ways to remedy are:

Shoot lighter loads. A one ounce or even a 7/8 ounce load will still crush targets. When the gun is where it is supposed to be, the target breaks. A lot of competitive shooters use one ounce loads. Some shoots have 300 targets per day.

Another option is to look for the Browning Reactor pad. It is a gel pad that fits into a shooting vest that minimizes recoil. Cabelas and Beretta also make their own.

One more option is to add weight to the gun. A heavier gun will kick less. One of my buddies added lead into his stock to reduce recoil. It throws the gun off balance a bit but you can give it a shot.

There are also many, many recoil reducers and recoil pads that you can put on your gun. Dead mule makes a bunch of different reducers and pads like limb saver can also help.

Good luck on your search.

BigDogatPlay
03-10-2012, 10:44 AM
If the gun is beating you up, get to a clinic and learn how to mount it to your shoulder correctly. Aftermarket pads, recoil reducers and adding weight all will dampen recoil, but if you aren't getting the gun correctly to your shoulder the mitigation will be nil.

For singles trap I shoot, generally, one ounce of #7.5 or #8 shot over a 2 3/4 dram equivalent powder charge. This will run ~1150 fps. It's not a complete powder puff load, but it's light and most of the manufacturers (Remington, Federal, Rio, Estate) all have loads in this power band. I can shoot several hundred in a day and feel pretty much no discomfort. But I mount the gun properly.

As to pads, Limbsaver and Kickeez are probably the two best choices for aftermarket pads. Be aware that changing pads can alter your length of pull.

Rob454
03-10-2012, 5:42 PM
BJL333 does a lot of skeet trap stuff. Contact him for a clinic. You are probably not mounting the gun right. I shoot 12 ga all day and don't use pads or anything

carlosdarwin
03-10-2012, 7:23 PM
Yes, I did have a clinic with BJL333, and learned a lot. The problem is that I have bursitis in my shoulder, and have had neck and back problems for many years since flying through the windshield in a car accident a few year back.

Will definitely try to improve my form, and will pad up in the meantime. Going out tomorrow to break clays.

Thanks for all your feedback!

mjsweims
03-12-2012, 8:26 PM
The nice thing about having a multi barrel set is that each gauge shoots the same, so you are always mounting and pointing the same. I have a 20, 28, 410 SKB and there is no difference in my sight plane. The only difference you find is a slight change in weight.

WmWhitfield
03-12-2012, 11:56 PM
For what you want to do, a set of tubes will probably cost more than the Silver Reserve. BJL's suggestion for Briley Sidekicks may work but note that as he points out they are for light shooting. You would pretty well have to start relaoding your own ammo, but if I were you I would shoot low velocity 7/8 ounce loads of #8 in your 12 gauge.

carlosdarwin
03-13-2012, 9:55 AM
Thanks again for the feedback. I did okay on Sunday with Winchester low-vel loads (980FPS, 26 grams, 8 shot). Still I think I'm gonna get a 20 or 28 gauge auto-loader. Looked around on Calguns but didn't find much (no shortage of shorties there though). Any leads/recommendations are much obliged!