PDA

View Full Version : At Turners Expense

jonny_c
03-09-2012, 2:23 AM
Chesty Puller would eat the souls of the whiners in this forum! I appreciate clever and thoughtful assaults on substance and character, but I am exhausted by the rantings of perpetual bed-wetters. I am a dumb grunt...but I've seen 0331's who should be pursuing degrees in neuroscience if these posts are representative of the strength of the job market. I have had plenty of unpleasant experiences in Turners, but nearly every one of them was easily mitigated. (The unpardonable exception is spreading misinformation.)

1. 12 Customers / 4 Sales guys x 15 minutes per gun sale per customer = A minimum 45 minute wait for customer #13.

Of course this is assuming that NO ONE: answers a phone call, suffers a computer glitch, is forced to take a state mandated break/lunch period, takes the time to EXPLAIN paperwork/federal law/state law/local law/firearms handling/ammo variations/firearm design/firearm accessories, etc.

I know at nursery school they keep you all on a strict schedule, but man-up for goodness sake. Maybe if you had a bit of pride and self respect you wouldn't feign confronting the management with legitimate grievances. And quit bellyaching about the need for more staffing. If they put more guys in their stores, all of you would inevitably begin complaining about how crowded it is on the counter when 12 salesman are trying to show guns and fill out paperwork.

2. Kill em' with kindness. If you are understanding about what seems to be a tough situation for everyone, you will experience reciprocation.

3. Accept that if your experience in a gun store isn't up to your expectation and you walk away without solving the problem...YOU HAVE FAILED. Mission accomplishment boys; if you want something done, make it happen!

4. Some stores have policies and practices that seem ridiculous from your myopic perspective, but if you took the time to inquire about their reasoning, it is perfectly understandable for them to show one gun at a time, multitask when possible, order guns from a central warehouse location, etc.

5. If this is too much for you, at least do the poor bastards behind the counter a favor:

-Alert the sales guy to the fact that this is the first time you have crossed the street without holding your mothers hand.
-Let him know that although you successfully crossed the street by yourself, you miss the security and comfort provided by dear old mom.
-Ask the sales guy to hold your hand until you leave the store.
-When the sales guy instinctively recoils in fear, pause and reflect on the travesty of humanity you see in the mirror every morning.

bonzaiii
03-09-2012, 2:32 AM
For only your 3rd post , THAT WAS AMAZING, and I agree!!!

Chesty Puller would eat the souls of the whiners in this forum! I appreciate clever and thoughtful assaults on substance and character, but I am exhausted by the rantings of perpetual bed-wetters. I am a dumb grunt...but I've seen 0331's who should be pursuing degrees in neuroscience if these posts are representative of the strength of the job market. I have had plenty of unpleasant experiences in Turners, but nearly every one of them was easily mitigated. (The unpardonable exception is spreading misinformation.)

1. 12 Customers / 4 Sales guys x 15 minutes per gun sale per customer = A minimum 45 minute wait for customer #13.

Of course this is assuming that NO ONE: answers a phone call, suffers a computer glitch, is forced to take a state mandated break/lunch period, takes the time to EXPLAIN paperwork/federal law/state law/local law/firearms handling/ammo variations/firearm design/firearm accessories, etc.

I know at nursery school they keep you all on a strict schedule, but man-up for goodness sake. Maybe if you had a bit of pride and self respect you wouldn't feign confronting the management with legitimate grievances. And quit bellyaching about the need for more staffing. If they put more guys in their stores, all of you would inevitably begin complaining about how crowded it is on the counter when 12 salesman are trying to show guns and fill out paperwork.

2. Kill em' with kindness. If you are understanding about what seems to be a tough situation for everyone, you will experience reciprocation.

3. Accept that if your experience in a gun store isn't up to your expectation and you walk away without solving the problem...YOU HAVE FAILED. Mission accomplishment boys; if you want something done, make it happen!

4. Some stores have policies and practices that seem ridiculous from your myopic perspective, but if you took the time to inquire about their reasoning, it is perfectly understandable for them to show one gun at a time, multitask when possible, order guns from a central warehouse location, etc.

5. If this is too much for you, at least do the poor bastards behind the counter a favor:

-Alert the sales guy to the fact that this is the first time you have crossed the street without holding your mothers hand.
-Let him know that although you successfully crossed the street by yourself, you miss the security and comfort provided by dear old mom.
-When the sales guy instinctively recoils in fear, pause and reflect on the travesty of humanity you see in the mirror every morning.

LAWABIDINGCITIZEN
03-09-2012, 6:20 AM

BRAVO !!!!!

VictorFranko
03-09-2012, 6:31 AM
Sick of the constant whining about Turner's myself, and I always speak up and say so.
Well written Jonny.

Gorillasurfer
03-09-2012, 7:07 AM

Nicely stated.

railroader
03-09-2012, 7:40 AM
I love it. This post made me smile. Turner's does get a bad rap here. I remember a couple of years ago Turner's had pretty empty handgun display cases and not very many customers. I was wondering if they would survive. They have turned this around 180 degrees but that means a lot more customers. This also means they are stocking more firearms and having better sales.

surfanimal
03-09-2012, 7:56 AM
Plus. One.

Great post.

DSB
03-09-2012, 8:00 AM
I have always had great experiences with Turners. I totally agree with the OP.

AragornElessar86
03-09-2012, 8:04 AM
Great post. Thanks for a morning chuckle.

Tanner68
03-09-2012, 8:07 AM
I am tired of all the gunstore crybabys too. Good post OP.

Jeepergeo
03-09-2012, 8:21 AM
Turners is busy for a reason, and that is the store/chain is the "go to" gun store for many people. They go there because they like the selection, the help, the location, the prices, and more.

navycorpsman
03-09-2012, 8:22 AM
If any of you have ever been to gun stores like Martin B. Retting around L.A turners is a god sent. Great post. Just remember you can go back to your mom and pop gun shops and pay at least $100 bucks more for the same guns.

xoutxkastx
03-09-2012, 8:38 AM
Great post and well said. I think people got use to getting everything they want now. People with that the of mentality don't have the patience or consideration for others. I've been to Turner's lately and have to admit they have change for the better from when I 1st bought my 1911 7+ years ago. Wait time is not that bad if you consider the quality of service once your number is called. Plus our phones can keep us entertained for an hour or so. I go on calguns while waiting.

Gatcha619
03-09-2012, 9:50 AM
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :

jcwliu
03-09-2012, 10:23 AM
I went there Saturday and the place was packed, so I went back Monday and did the DROS on a handgun in less than 10 minutes. You don't know what a waiting line is until you have been to a busy Emergency Room:eek:

Akers
03-09-2012, 10:25 AM
I'll continue to complain as they continue to suck.

Baconator
03-09-2012, 10:31 AM
Just as you are entitled to your opinion so are those who are unhappy with Turner's, despite your attempts to belittle people.

bonzaiii
03-09-2012, 10:34 AM

If they suck and you no longer go there you should not complain, If they suck and you still go there........nuff said!

pkc168
03-09-2012, 11:03 AM
Thumbs up on this !

MRbaker
03-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Great post OP! I've never understood why some people whine the way they do. If someone doesn't like a store, then shop somewhere else and save all the drama for the daytime soaps. I've always had a good experience at Turner's and will continue to shop there, keep up the good job Turner's!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Sleighter
03-09-2012, 11:20 AM
OP, I look forward to your future posts.

RugerFanRyan
03-09-2012, 11:31 AM
:)
Agreed.

monkeylice
03-09-2012, 12:08 PM
OP, nicely stated! I am amazed by people acting as if they should each be entitled to their own personal butler stationed at Turners to ensure that they don't suffer the slightest inconvenience. Perhaps they would prefer that Turners shuts down so that we can buy guns at Big 5 instead?

Akers
03-09-2012, 12:10 PM
If they suck and you no longer go there you should not complain, If they suck and you still go there........nuff said!

Cool response

biscuitbarrel
03-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Flame war!!!
:82:

paul0660
03-09-2012, 1:08 PM
I think your hurting you business with this thread...

He is obviously a shill, and has no manners, but he might be right, i dunno. Never been, never will.

Turner's Outdoorsman
03-09-2012, 1:15 PM
I think your hurting you business with this thread...

You yourself should stop your WHINING and IMPROVE your business and stop complaining to the PAYING customer....

We're not big on editing or deleting without cause so we won't.

But "we" did not post this thread ... nor are we not working to keep things on track.

To the contrary that is one of biggest reasons we're on Calguns- to take feedback and change what we can or to let folks know when we can't. We're not perfect; the day any company does that is the day they're out.

iroc626
03-09-2012, 1:17 PM
Great post OP!
I have never had an issue with Turners. As a matter of fact, during the "Ruger Days" I walked in to the west covina store. It was "busy" like always with lots of "browsers". Checked out 2 10/22s, finished all paperwork and was out in less than 15 minutes. Pick up day was the same if not quicker.

A-J
03-09-2012, 1:23 PM

lol

ROFL!

Turners is busy for a reason, and that is the store/chain is the "go to" gun store for many people. They go there because they like the selection, the help, the location, the prices, and more.

Or, if you are me, Turner's is the only option. There are no other gun shops in the valley (that I know of) so I choose to go to Turner's. I always budget my time, anticipating the wait. If it takes a while, then it takes a while. It would probably take me just as long (or longer) to drive to gun world in Burbank and wait there, so why bother? Time is free, gas is not.

LikeAllGuns
03-09-2012, 1:27 PM
We're not big on editing or deleting without cause so we won't.

But "we" did not post this thread ... nor are we not working to keep things on track.

To the contrary that is one of biggest reasons we're on Calguns- to take feedback and change what we can or to let folks know when we can't. We're not perfect; the day any company does that is the day they're out.

Fair enough I have deleted it myself...... good luck

jonny_c
03-09-2012, 5:46 PM
At the moment I don't work for anyone other than Uncle Sam, but I would like to thank all the conspiracy theorists for proving my point and being simultaneously ignorant of the various name drops that give credit to my brethren. If your butt puckered up when you read my post you probably realized that you have acted in a manner unbecoming at least once in this forum.

If you have become so entrenched in your dislike of a business because you feel slighted or wronged, you are only limiting your options because of your narrow minded attitude. You have a far greater ability to influence a company like Turners than you realize. But instead of taking a productive approach, you lock yourself in your room and kick and scream about how unfair life is, how no one understands you, and how the popular girl never pays any attention to you.

I have watched good men give up far too much for their country to feel comfortable with the content and the character of those who use this site as a crutch because they can't afford to pay a shrink to "talk it out." Every honest person here knows exactly what kind of individual I am talking about. I will have one less tasteless thread to scroll over as I am searching for good deals on firearms and trying to get my own questions answered if people like this take the high road a little more often. Turners is one of about a dozen different firearms retailers that I shop at and I have rarely been unhappy with the experience because I accept the fact that they are not going to pat me on the backside just for walking in the door!

If all of my detractors are such skilled managers, and know the in's and out's of running a business that is rife with government regulation I can put you in touch with some lovely individuals at Paris Island and San Diego; they will help you develop those natural skills and also teach you economy of words and attitude.

5kvdave
03-09-2012, 6:44 PM
Maybe Turner's should carry pacifiers

VictorFranko
03-09-2012, 6:53 PM
Maybe Turner's should carry pacifiers

Pacifiers with numbers on them! Classic!

Steph
03-09-2012, 7:05 PM
I spent an hour and a half last Thurs after work just to start DROS on my SR22. Instead of throwing a tantrum about it, I ended up talking to a few older IT guys about Calguns and the upcoming Rancho meet and other stuff. It was pretty busy (as usual).

Steve1968LS2
03-09-2012, 7:48 PM
For only your 3rd post , THAT WAS AMAZING, and I agree!!!

On this I agree.. the whiners get old.. especially when they complain about stupid/trivial things.

Steve1968LS2
03-09-2012, 9:15 PM
I spent an hour and a half last Thurs after work just to start DROS on my SR22. Instead of throwing a tantrum about it, I ended up talking to a few older IT guys about Calguns and the upcoming Rancho meet and other stuff. It was pretty busy (as usual).

I did a transfer in Corona store... took all of 20 minutes (with the wait).. I did one on an AK in the San Marcos store.. about the same.

The key to getting in fast and done is to not go during prime time.. It's like people the go to Disneyland on a holiday weekend and then gripe about the lines.

Steph
03-09-2012, 11:00 PM
I was leaving the next morning for a trip up to Lake Isabella so I wanted to get in and start Dros before I was gone for 3 days. Wasn't too big of a deal. Plus it just worked out that my 10 day wait is up on my birthday.

maxwellca21
03-09-2012, 11:21 PM
Fair enough I have deleted it myself...... good luck

so noble of you sir.

LBDamned
03-10-2012, 6:54 AM
Remember when a frozen dinner took 30-45 minutes to cook in an oven? These days some people act like they don't have the 3-4 minutes it takes in a microwave... WTF do these people do at all the other retailers they shop at (for clothes, food, etc)... none of the whiners are so damn busy or important that they can't budget some additional time to buy a gun.

For those that feel they have a legitimate complaint; you will get more respect and more likely resolution if you express your situation like a mature adult and not adolescent douchbag.

This is not to say that Turners can't improve - but I too am getting tiered of the feet stompers' drama... from what I've seen (on this forum and in some stores), Turners is committed to bettering themselves - something some of their (ex)customers should consider doing as well.

trew10
03-10-2012, 7:45 AM
i purchased a ruger 9mm from turners in corona and they are out of stock, i was told in a few days i would have a serial to start my D.R.O.S. so few day later i called and nobody had a clue to what i was talking about, i went in the next day and i was told it would take a week, week later i called same answer. i was told it would take two to four weeks. every time i call to get answers they transfer me to the gun department and no one ever answers the phone, i actually waited 20 minutes and no answer. not happy at all!!!!! Turners does have the best prices around but every gun that goes on sale is always out of stock. most stores are nice looking with the exception of a few, san bernardino being the worst. basspro had the same gun for $20 more, should of just paid the extra $20 lol. :facepalm:

trew10
03-10-2012, 7:54 AM
anyone who really wants to complain do what i did call corporate and voice your opinion.

corporate office:
11738 San Marino Street, Suite A
Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730
Phone: 909-923-3009
Fax: 909-923-3022

iroc626
03-10-2012, 9:14 AM
Pacifiers with numbers on them! Classic!
LOL!

Calguns special this week:
Magpul Tactical Pacifiers
Still available in Black, FDE, OD and Foliage Green
Pink sold out. Should be back in stock in 3 weeks.

SoCal Bob
03-10-2012, 4:36 PM
Just as you are entitled to your opinion so are those who are unhappy with Turner's, despite your attempts to belittle people.

Some people brighten a room by entering, others by leaving.

Work on the entering part. ;)

Baconator
03-13-2012, 11:54 AM
Some people brighten a room by entering, others by leaving.

Work on the entering part. ;)

Wish I gave a **** about what you thought about me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

5kvdave
03-13-2012, 5:45 PM
LOL!

Calguns special this week:
Magpul Tactical Pacifiers
Still available in Black, FDE, OD and Foliage Green
Pink sold out. Should be back in stock in 3 weeks.

Are they tac-t-cool & whiner approved

AlabamaBound
03-16-2012, 9:38 PM
i purchased a ruger 9mm from turners in corona and they are out of stock, i was told in a few days i would have a serial to start my D.R.O.S. so few day later i called and nobody had a clue to what i was talking about, i went in the next day and i was told it would take a week, week later i called same answer. i was told it would take two to four weeks. every time i call to get answers they transfer me to the gun department and no one ever answers the phone, i actually waited 20 minutes and no answer. not happy at all!!!!! Turners does have the best prices around but every gun that goes on sale is always out of stock. most stores are nice looking with the exception of a few, san bernardino being the worst. basspro had the same gun for $20 more, should of just paid the extra $20 lol. :facepalm:

I had the same issue.

blazeaglory
03-17-2012, 9:22 PM
Dude I spend hours at Turners NOT buying guns...lol

I play hide and seek in the safes

Chrushev
03-18-2012, 12:14 AM
It seems like there are really bad Turners and some decent ones. I dont think anyone can claim that Turners is "great" or better. One in Orange has been good in my experience, Signal Hill one is a nightmare.

For those really crappy ones with arsehole employees I am tempted to tape them on my phone. They have no respect for customers whats so ever.

I went to grab some ammo last Thursday (at Signal Hill Turners), as I approached the ammo section I heard an elderly gentleman ask the store manager about a used gun that was for sale and how long it would take to buy it etc, the store manager irritatingly told him its 30 days due to theft checks etc. Then the gentleman asked about another gun, store manager went off the hook. He was super disrespectful to the guy and with eyes as wide as grand canyon literally yelled "30 days, all of the guns in this section it will take you 30 days" while throwing his hands in the air.

The guy laughed it off by saying that at that rate it will take him years to get all the guns he wants. But you could see it in his face that he felt disrespected and treated like a loser.

I feel that no employee, let alone store MANAGER should act that way. Even if you already told the man 30 times that this section is the same, doesnt mean you can yell at him 31st time. I am not sure what happened before I entered, but I didnt hear the guy pestering him or asking too many questions or anything, he seemed like a potential customer interested in a weapon that got yelled at.

Point being is that one should never be in a position to feel bad for someone in that situation. And I was put in that situation. I felt embarrassed that I am about to do business and give my money to arseholes.

On top of all that it seems like they often mess up on paper work, take forever to do anything , and actively ignore you while chatting about irrelevant (personal) stuff with each other.

While I understand that a place like Turners wants employees that are enthusiastic about what they sell (guns), and its hard to find someone that loves guns and is awesome at customer service, but come on... theres got to be large enough pool to choose from to find the good ones, or at least decent ones. At this Signal Hill location everyone is at least 50 years old, and it shows... 0 customer service skills. While at Orange location most are in the 20's, who probably had customer service jobs while in High Shool etc.. and it shows.. they are not afraid to approach you, chat with you, and explain things to you, while remaining enthusiastic about it.

toxxic1
03-18-2012, 1:04 PM
Not all sales people are equal, not all store provide the same level of service…

I don’t think it’s about whining. I read both good and bad posts.

People shouldn’t use the forum for problem resolution, those are best when dealt face to face.

This is also a place for “word of mouth”. If someone is going to write a long essay ;-) to express their problem, I will read it decide how it would influence my next purchase there…

For some, the value of customer service outweighs the discount. A good store will have both and would not let us choose.

I had a great experience with Chino Hills store when I purchased my 930spx in Jan and bad experience with West Covina store for my M&P 9C this month (they were sold-out at the CH store). I wouldn’t recommend any one to the WC store…

I heard Torrance has good service there... anyways...

my2cents.:)

toxxic1
03-18-2012, 1:09 PM
It seems like there are really bad Turners and some decent ones. I dont think anyone can claim that Turners is "great" or better. One in Orange has been good in my experience, Signal Hill one is a nightmare.

For those really crappy ones with arsehole employees I am tempted to tape them on my phone. They have no respect for customers whats so ever.

I went to grab some ammo last Thursday (at Signal Hill Turners), as I approached the ammo section I heard an elderly gentleman ask the store manager about a used gun that was for sale and how long it would take to buy it etc, the store manager irritatingly told him its 30 days due to theft checks etc. Then the gentleman asked about another gun, store manager went off the hook. He was super disrespectful to the guy and with eyes as wide as grand canyon literally yelled "30 days, all of the guns in this section it will take you 30 days" while throwing his hands in the air.

The guy laughed it off by saying that at that rate it will take him years to get all the guns he wants. But you could see it in his face that he felt disrespected and treated like a loser.

I feel that no employee, let alone store MANAGER should act that way. Even if you already told the man 30 times that this section is the same, doesnt mean you can yell at him 31st time. I am not sure what happened before I entered, but I didnt hear the guy pestering him or asking too many questions or anything, he seemed like a potential customer interested in a weapon that got yelled at.

Point being is that one should never be in a position to feel bad for someone in that situation. And I was put in that situation. I felt embarrassed that I am about to do business and give my money to arseholes.

On top of all that it seems like they often mess up on paper work, take forever to do anything , and actively ignore you while chatting about irrelevant (personal) stuff with each other.

While I understand that a place like Turners wants employees that are enthusiastic about what they sell (guns), and its hard to find someone that loves guns and is awesome at customer service, but come on... theres got to be large enough pool to choose from to find the good ones, or at least decent ones. At this Signal Hill location everyone is at least 50 years old, and it shows... 0 customer service skills. While at Orange location most are in the 20's, who probably had customer service jobs while in High Shool etc.. and it shows.. they are not afraid to approach you, chat with you, and explain things to you, while remaining enthusiastic about it.

Couldn't agree more! I wonder the same thing, where did they find these people...

Baconator
03-18-2012, 1:23 PM
I applied as an Assistant Manger to Tuners in 2005 I think. I had 7 years of retail experience with 3 as a department manager or higher in a big box store. I had all sorts off good customer service awards I could draw on and they said no thanks, they didn't think that my big box experience would transfer to the small store (even though my big box experience including managing groups of 10 or so people)

GrinderCB
03-18-2012, 2:26 PM
Excellent post. I have a lot of experience in customer service, in-person and over the phone in several unrelated businesses, and one thing that all complaining customers have in common is that they're self-centered, believing they're the only customer you have and you'll be filing for bankruptcy that day if you let them walk out the door.

toxxic1
03-18-2012, 5:45 PM
Excellent post. I have a lot of experience in customer service, in-person and over the phone in several unrelated businesses, and one thing that all complaining customers have in common is that they're self-centered, believing they're the only customer you have and you'll be filing for bankruptcy that day if you let them walk out the door.

All complaining customer are self-centered? I think the truth is contrary. One can easily choose not to come back, it’s not that difficult. Customer complaints are just a form of feedback, an open conversation, an opportunity to correct any misunderstanding from either side. You wouldn't want an unhappy customer to just walk away and never come back. Maybe I’m old fashion.

They are just not concern with your money. They are concern with anyone of the hundreds of people who see you as a knowledgeable expert and to be influenced by your experience.

jonny_c
03-18-2012, 10:15 PM
There is a huge disparity between customers lodging legitimate grievances and customers posting because they feel it is the best way to "get back" at someone. There are thousands of members who have rightly charged businesses with foul play and I encourage every one of them to turn up the heat when necessary on Turners, Rifle-gear, Ade's, Grant Boys, Ammo Brothers, and every other shop within 50 miles of me. I want inventory and fair prices and a buying experience that lets me express my nasty opinion of our elected representatives.

I was simply fed up reading posts that indicated laziness, weakness, or willful ignorance on the part of the offended customer; the very qualities these people claim the salesman possessed when he poorly handled their gun purchase. I am sufficiently honest to admit that I was a wet-behind-the-ears young punk at one point in my life and some years down the road I will become a cynical and perhaps senile old man. Customer service employees are rarely different from their customers, and those who are educated enough to recall the lessons of Socrates know that the only thing a person can be truly confident about is the extent of his/her own ignorance.

This forum is a wonderful tool that can serve to the benefit or the detriment of firearms enthusiasts in this pain in the rear republic. I vouch for benefit.

LikeAllGuns
03-18-2012, 10:36 PM
:popcorn:

Mateba
03-18-2012, 11:49 PM
yeah...edited cause I don't wanna get involved

lhecker51
03-26-2012, 1:53 PM

Which Turner's did you go to? The one in Corona has been very pleasant for me.

Here are my expectations regarding the reality of gun sales to the public:

1. You can't hire enough sales staff ever. The simple fact is that a huge percentage of the public that is buying a gun, have a lot of questions and have a serious decision to make that neither Turner's nor the customer take lightly resulting in a lot of time and patience with the customer for the purchase of a firearm.

2. Given that gun sales are cyclical based on the season, gun law anticipation and political policy, you can expect instant rushes of first time buyers.

3. The paperwork. Not only for new guns, but walk-in PPT. I fully expect that the paperwork will not be hastily completed and will take time to ensure accuracy.

Given my expectations, I schedule my visits based on busy hour/busy day and can usually be served with just little wait. They have always been pleasant, courteous and knowledgeable when I have patronized their store in Corona. I did a ten handgun PPT there and could not have had a better experience. I have also purchased firearms and reloading supplies (primers, powder) from them and never had any issues. Over the years the Corona Turner's has been very consistent.

LBDamned
03-26-2012, 6:56 PM
^^^ now that just makes way too much sense.

If everyone was like you, the pacifier industry would go bust.