PDA

View Full Version : Technical Question Needs Fast Answering

FRamos92
03-09-2012, 1:17 AM
Hello my name is Francisco Ramos and I reside in Sacramento. I have a question regarding my next shooting trip. my friend who at this time is 17 asked me if I wanted to do a range trip with her. I said sure since I just got an SKS and several hundred rounds as a gift. I thought the plans had been set until she mentioned that she would be bringing an assortment of rifles and even a couple .22 pistols. Now Im not a stranger to shooting or to known law but Im still learning here. Can she legally "own" or even transport such weapons at her age? she seemed sure about it and so I thought that she maybe knew something I didnt. As a criminal justice student going into law enforcement I decided to take on the legal (let alone moral) obligation of asking this question. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Wicked Pete
03-09-2012, 5:46 AM
Francisco: you have come to the right place - CGN: there is a wealth of information here.

About your question. I'm an older shooter (65), back in my day you could transport, buy/sell/trade etc. without many problems.

These days....I dunno. I heard of a guy that went on a range trip with someone in possession of a stolen firearm. They ALL went to jail, it was a complicated mess. Just sayin.

lazyworm
03-09-2012, 5:54 AM
It's not legal to own any firearms until 18, so those guns cannot be legally hers. Then the next questions are if she is legal to possess them and can those guns be loaned to her. That I don't know.

OldShooter32
03-09-2012, 6:07 AM
I recall that < 18 need written permission from parent/guardian to possess firearms. This may be old law (I retired in 2000) and around here the question never came up.

CSACANNONEER
03-09-2012, 6:13 AM
It's not legal to own any firearms until 18, so those guns cannot be legally hers. Then the next questions are if she is legal to possess them and can those guns be loaned to her. That I don't know.

WRONG. It is LEGAL to OWN long guns at ANY age. It is legal to possess handguns (without the owner present) at the age of 16 (or is it 14?) with a note from a parent. I do not think a permission slip is required for a minor to possess their own long guns.

It is not legal to buy a long gun until one is 18. It is illegal to buy a handgun (from a FFL) until the age of 21. However, there are other perfectly legal ways of legally aquiring firearms besides purchasing them.

lazyworm
03-09-2012, 6:18 AM
WRONG. It is LEGAL to OWN long guns at ANY age. It is legal to possess handguns (without the owner present) at the age of 16 (or is it 14?) with a note from a parent. I do not think a permission slip is required for a minor to possess their own long guns.

It is not legal to buy a long gun until one is 18. It is illegal to buy a handgun (from a FFL) until the age of 21. However, there are other perfectly legal ways of legally aquiring firearms besides purchasing them.

Thanks for the correction.

bikr4jc
03-09-2012, 6:25 AM
Welcome!!!

h0use
03-09-2012, 8:54 AM
welcome

Sonny188
03-09-2012, 3:09 PM
Welcome!

zod
03-09-2012, 7:25 PM
Welcome aboard.

Jeepster824
03-10-2012, 12:04 PM
Welcome,good question and good answers too,love to learn something!

DeanW66
03-12-2012, 2:38 PM
Welcome aboard! Lots of useful info and helpful folks 'round these parts. You will also find answers in the other subforums - that is usually better since most folks don't look into the "new here" area for Qs to A.