PDA

View Full Version : Best quality inexpensive lower parts kits that work well?

The Gleam
03-08-2012, 7:17 PM
Not every AR I build needs to be a Swiss watch. Some are just utilitarian fun, or for chambering fun calibers like .458-SOCOM or .50-BEOWULF, or as AR pistols (with documented pistol receivers of course), etc. In these cases, the trigger does not have to be the finest thing going. I have other ARs for that.

I've seen a lot of AR15 Lower Parts Kits in my day(s) but I've noticed some in the past few years look really poorly made. Bad casting marks with pock holes, tolerances looking lousy, etc. Year ago, most all of them were very similar, but in the past couple of years with the 2004 sunset and Bullet-Button AR mania in CA, it seems there is some real garbage LPKs floating around.

Then there is the other extreme where they are so top-notch, they have a price to match (no pun intended). Not always needed.

So by shared opinion, who provides the best quality inexpensive lower parts kits that work well, with well-made parts, for the most reasonable price? :confused:

LovingTheYear1911
03-08-2012, 7:20 PM
I have a DMPS kit and never had a problem. Everything went together perfectly and the trigger is ok. Very little creep and a clean break. Not the best but works for me, especially when the bad guy is a piece of paper.

Norcal Industries
03-08-2012, 7:31 PM
rock river is pretty decent.

AR15 Guy
03-08-2012, 8:32 PM
Stag Arms seems like the best of both worlds. Good tight fit, with a fair price.

Chaos47
03-08-2012, 8:33 PM
PSA
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/palmetto-state-armory-gen-2-moe-lpk.html

You get a moe grip and trigger guard apx 30 bucks value... and the LPK parts are nice. Just built 3 lowers with them

SurfRider19
03-08-2012, 8:35 PM
I have two Palmetto State Armory kits and I have never had a problem with either of the receivers i built with them.

ENVYGREEN
03-08-2012, 8:36 PM
It all comes out of the same bin

MrPlink
03-08-2012, 9:00 PM
not DPMS

Arkangel
03-08-2012, 9:13 PM
Another vote for PSA. It's what I run in my AR. Best bang for your buck IMHO. May not be high end, but it gets the job done.

SIKwitIT
03-08-2012, 9:19 PM
Ive done a Daniel defense, PSA, DPMS, and a Rockriver. I prefer the DD and rockriver

Metal Magic
03-09-2012, 8:32 AM
^ I have also used DD and Rock River with no problems. Probably prefer the Rock River though.

leumas12
03-09-2012, 8:39 AM
I just put mine together with the CMMG lower parts kit #10208. Good kit and one of the best prices around (<$50). Not much creep to the trigger (noticeably less than my buddy's lower from Stag Arms, not sure if thats the norm or a special case), strong springs, good finish on the parts. Came with all the parts bagged by group too so it made it easy to keep track of everything. I highly recommend it.

Good luck!

motorwerks
03-09-2012, 9:07 AM
It all comes out of the same bin yup

not DPMS

http://www.hatersgoingtohate.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/haters-gonna-hate-chuck-norris.jpg

DPMS parts kits are fine.

JNunez23
03-09-2012, 9:16 AM
I have a DD and am satisfied with it. Though RRA, Stag, and apparently PSA are also winners.

m34tp4ws
03-09-2012, 9:27 AM
PSA
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/palmetto-state-armory-gen-2-moe-lpk.html

You get a moe grip and trigger guard apx 30 bucks value... and the LPK parts are nice. Just built 3 lowers with them

This is the LPK that I used in my build and everything went together smoothly. Haven't had any issues thus far. Another vote for PSA.

Baconator
03-09-2012, 9:33 AM
One more vote for PSA. Built my last 2 rifle builds off of them.

J.D.Allen
03-09-2012, 9:55 AM
Just looked at the PSA website, they seem to have great deals on upper assemblies too.

MXRider
03-09-2012, 10:00 AM
From my experience, RRA has problems with the safety selector grooves being improperly machined. They can be very hard to move back and forth when the bolt is locked to the rear. (sample size 2 kits) I have a Stag LPK that seems pretty decent, though I'm currently running Colt parts in my rifle.

And no, they don't all come from the same bin, however I bet there are only a hand full of manufacturers who actually make their LPK's, and most just put their name on the bag.

Exile Machine
03-09-2012, 10:57 AM
+1 for the CMMG. We have a shipment of the CMMG kits coming early next week. We sell more of the CMMGs than any other brand, with zero customer complaints to date. Looking for a budget LPK < $50 you can't go wrong. Check 'em out:

https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/cmmg-lower-receiver-parts-kit-5313.html <<-- CLICK HERE TO BUY

EvolutionGSR
03-09-2012, 11:14 AM
I like rock river and psa also. I esp like how I can buy them with no fcg if i know im going to use a geissele or something.

ott1
03-09-2012, 11:15 AM
If you're near Riflegear, pick up their own LPK. It's a few bucks cheaper than DPMS. Not sure if it's listed on their website or not.

Johnnyfres
03-09-2012, 11:16 AM
Daniel Defense , PSA, RRA.

monk
03-09-2012, 11:22 AM
Sad thing about PSA is that they seem to be out of stock of ALL their LPK's.

stix213
03-09-2012, 11:36 AM
RRA & CMMG get my votes

tundraotto
03-09-2012, 11:56 AM
PSA

definately this PSA one!!!!

Sumo99
03-09-2012, 11:58 AM
I have 2 PSA's and 1 CMMG. Both my PSA's have better triggers than the CMMG, nothing major, just the CMMG trigger pull is a little gritty. Also, there was something wrong with the selector of the CMMG where I could not put it on safe. I tried switching out the spring & detent and when that didn't work, I bought a new selector and $10 later it works just fine.

Considering how many LPK's are out there, this sort of thing is going to happen from time to time, no matter who's name is on the packaging.

m34tp4ws
03-10-2012, 6:44 PM
Sad thing about PSA is that they seem to be out of stock of ALL their LPK's.

I just saw that. Was gonna start ordering parts for my wife's build.

rogtac
03-11-2012, 9:05 AM
+100 on PSA. Give PSA a call and ask them what the ETA is. They have gotten a tremendous amount of business over the past year and their wait times seem to remain reasonable compared to others in the industry.

bearstatearmory.com
03-11-2012, 9:15 AM
Why the hate for the DPMS LPK, mine works fine?

LovingTheYear1911
03-11-2012, 9:22 AM
^^ So does mine.

I guess its a pride thing. People know it all, especially on the internet. ;)

jkasandiego
03-11-2012, 9:27 AM
^^ So does mine.

I guess its a pride thing. People know it all, especially on the internet. ;)

Exactly!!

Below.Zero
03-11-2012, 9:32 AM
Rock River and Stag for me. Not the cheapest, but I like the Armalite kits as well.

Javi
03-11-2012, 9:36 AM
Have you guys ever tried Bushmaster LPK's? I had one I bought for $50 before tax but had to sell it. They looked like nice parts. I'll probably go with it again if I can get it at that price or I'll try PSA's. I'm interested in a standard, single stage trigger but I hope to have a good one, if that makes sense haha. Don't know if that's any oxymoron but I just mean a clean break.

TStewartFan
03-13-2012, 9:33 AM
I've used DPMS in 3 builds now, but I am going to try the PSA one for the next couple of builds.

BTW, PSA LPK were out of stock last Friday, but are back in stock today.

C2

shamu415
03-13-2012, 11:12 AM
Rock river and stag works great for me.

tundraotto
03-13-2012, 11:21 AM
PSA

+1 this

also with nice trigger for stock

Dirtbiker
03-13-2012, 11:31 AM
I have a bushmaster I bought for 50 shipped and it works great.

ThemBastards
03-13-2012, 11:37 AM
I use a Spike's LPK in a Spike's lower and I am having problems with the trigger pin working it's way out.. I am running 7.62x39 so maybe there is more energy at work than a normal .223. Cost $70@Sportsmans-Depot

Grumpyoldretiredcop
03-13-2012, 11:48 AM
I've used a lot of DPMS LPKs, all worked fine, although I'd rate the quality as about "Volkswagen" level. Not fancy, but they work. I've also used BM kits, they worked fine also.

monk
03-13-2012, 12:07 PM
PSA

Just ordered mine in FOL before it ran out. :D

robcoe
03-13-2012, 12:10 PM
I typically use Bushmaster parts kits, they work just fine(though I always replace the grip, never liked the stock AR grip.

wisefire
03-13-2012, 12:14 PM
I bought Daniel defense for my first at and got PSA for my budget build. Both works great, can't beat PSA deal with magpul grip and trigger guard.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

randomBytes
03-13-2012, 12:47 PM
I used PSA's MOE Plus lpk:
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/psa-moe-plus-lpk-1.html
the grip is very nice

Szabi B
03-13-2012, 1:11 PM
I am running a del-ton kit, how does every one think of those. Thank you

CHS
03-13-2012, 1:48 PM
DPMS parts kits are fine.

DPMS parts kits have some of the absolute worst QA/QC in the industry.

I've built hundreds of guns for people and installed even more LPK's. DPMS ones are the only LPK that I've used that CONSISTENTLY had issues. Out of spec parts are not only common, but should be expected. Missing parts are commonplace as well. I've had to replace more individual DPMS lower parts for people than from ANY other brand.

Sometimes you get a good one from DPMS. Most of the times it's a gamble.

Stay away from DPMS.

The parts I've had the most consistent luck with are Stag, Armalite, and RRA. I prefer the Stag and Armalite over the RRA because they have a more proper rounded hammer where the RRA has the old Colt and Bushmaster style "stepped" hammer. But for quality, all three are consistently great.

CHS
03-13-2012, 1:49 PM
I use a Spike's LPK in a Spike's lower and I am having problems with the trigger pin working it's way out.. I am running 7.62x39 so maybe there is more energy at work than a normal .223. Cost $70@Sportsmans-Depot

Your hammer spring is probably installed backwards if your trigger pin is walking out.

hawkeye
03-13-2012, 2:30 PM
Palmetto State lower kit works fine for me.

Chaos47
03-13-2012, 2:51 PM
+1 this

also with nice trigger for stock

Yea they do have a nice pull.

Seems they are currently made by L.W. Schneider (or at least some parts, going off memory my Trigger, Hammer and Safety and possibly more parts have their [S] proof mark)

http://www.lwschneider.com/

By the looks of it the new ALG Quality Mil-Spec Trigger it seems they are using L.W. Schneider parts as their base of their honing and polishing. So that's a good sign...

http://palmettostatearmory.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/l/alg1.jpg

Sunday
03-13-2012, 5:59 PM
.458-SOCOM or .50-BEOWULF tells me that cost is of no concern:oji:

CHS
03-13-2012, 6:33 PM
.458-SOCOM or .50-BEOWULF tells me that cost is of no concern:oji:

With most people around here, you'd be surprised.

I put together a .50 Beowulf gun together for a guy that had cobbled together the nastiest and most used mish-mash of parts I'd ever seen. He literally bought each part or assembly used, including the LPK, for as little as he could find them for from Gunbroker and/or Calguns EXCEPT the bolt.

The bolt was the only new part and it was an actual Alexander Arms bolt. The barrel was some no-name Gunbroker special.

I'm glad I wasn't around when he went to shoot it the first time.

But yeah, some people will go out of their way to cheap out on even expensive-to-shoot guns. I don't get it either.

The Gleam
03-14-2012, 9:46 AM
With most people around here, you'd be surprised.

But yeah, some people will go out of their way to cheap out on even expensive-to-shoot guns. I don't get it either.

I've seen that too. Baffles me. But not here. My upper is one of the early Tromix builds, and another from Teppo-Jutsu, I just never got around to building them. Doing that now.

I am not being cheap; just cost logical, the reason for my question. Other reason for the question is that I've also seen DPMS LPKs vary widely as others have mentioned, and I have no interest buying an LPK from them ever again. In the past (like more than 10 years ago) Bushmaster had some good kits, but lately? Not so sure.

Best quality/inexpensive for an LPK that fits the application, does not relegate my interest to garbage out of a gum-ball machine. I see no need for a Timney group or other best possible trigger expense for what I consider to be a short range gun. Standard pull, no creep, quality made is all I expect. I want good standard function. I don't expect to win long-range accuracy competitions at something in accuracy of 600 yards the size of a dime with .458-SOCOM (it's almost the size of a dime anyway! LOL!).

Like I said, I have other ARs for that. :)

By the way, they will be built on RAW receivers. Not shorting anything. When I finish everything up, I'll post photos.

Thanks for everyone's input; sounds like those from PSA are a good option. Now I just have to wait until they get them in stock, or hit-up some of the other suggetions.