PDA

View Full Version : PPT'S ON POST-SSE PISTOLS

hiyabrad
03-08-2012, 11:48 AM
I just did a PPT at Ammo Bros on a Bulgarian Krink Pistol that I brought into CA about a year ago with the SSE.

They required that I use a single shot sled for the PPT even though I did that originally when I brought it into CA.

I told them it's now considered a pistol and a 10 round mag is ok for the PPT but they said no-go on the PPT unless it has a sled.

I did this twice on two seperate weekends and got the same story at the Ontario store.

I also called Oaktree and they said the same thing.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Is this just total CYA?

Thanks.

hefedehefe
03-08-2012, 12:09 PM
:popcorn:

stix213
03-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Face to face PPT's are exempt from the roster requirements. SSE is only to comply with roster requirements. Pretty simple. Sounds like ignorance of the law rather than CYA, unless there is some incorrect info or missing info in the OP.

morrcarr67
03-08-2012, 12:16 PM
No need to make it a SSE pistol for PPT. ALL PPT's are exempt from the roster.

626Tony
03-08-2012, 12:24 PM
take a trip to straightline tactical in anaheim on magnolia they are the the best by far for this might be a lil more drive and gas$$ but worth the time youll save from FUD

hiyabrad
03-08-2012, 12:36 PM
Both Ammo Bros and Oaktree said you need the sled.

HisDivineShadow
03-08-2012, 12:37 PM
Which Ammo Bros. was this? Cerritos or Ontario?

Knight_Who_Says_Ni
03-08-2012, 12:40 PM
Both Ammo Bros and Oaktree said you need the sled.

I've heard salesmen at Oaktree say a flash hider on a rifle is illegal even with a Bullet Button... Some of their guys are idiots...

JaeFern
03-08-2012, 12:42 PM
I had the same problem with the ontario ammo bros. Bought a XDm9 from a calguns member and the guy was clueless. Told him what to do, his boss told him what to do, and he still screwed it up. "It won't let me do a private party single **** exemption..." No crap, me and your boss told you it didn't have to be SSE anymore. I'm sorry but it shouldn't take 1.5 hours to do a PPT. I'm sorry but I won't do business there anymore.
-Jae from my Photon 4G

vintagearms
03-08-2012, 12:45 PM
Tagged. Curious about this myself.

hiyabrad
03-08-2012, 12:46 PM
This was at the Ontario AB. I did two separate PPTs one week apart from each other at AB and both times I was told the same thing. Cost me two sleds.

bigcalidave
03-08-2012, 12:52 PM
Absolutely not required, if they won't listen, go somewhere else!

Why would you pay for something at a store that wasn't required instead of going down the street to someone else? If you walk into a store to PPT a gun, they have no right or reason to ask you how you got it in the first place.

bwiese
03-08-2012, 1:04 PM
No need to make it a SSE pistol for PPT. ALL PPT's are exempt from the roster.

^THIS, correct.

A legit Krink pistol (CA-legal non-AW) is just as Roster exempt as older non-Rostered Colt 1911 or a 15yr old S&W revolver.

All these guns (if "already owned") can be PPT'd between Californians without Roster concerns, and thus no SSE concerns exist.

AmmoBros is usu pretty good. Let's not beat 'em up, they do try.

rromeo
03-08-2012, 2:50 PM
How do they know it was DROSed as single shot?

CHS
03-08-2012, 2:54 PM
How do they know it was DROSed as single shot?

They don't, and it doesn't matter.

PPT of pistols is a roster-exempt transaction. Period.

rromeo
03-08-2012, 3:12 PM
I know it doesn't matter. I didn't know if the FFL had that information from the DROS software when they input the serial number, or the OP told them it was a single shot.

tenpercentfirearms
03-08-2012, 3:40 PM
Yep, no sled required on a PPT. PPTs are roster exempt. Silly.

Rekrab
03-08-2012, 4:39 PM
I think Ammo Bros is trying to play it safe in a number of areas. I once contacted them about an out-of-state, off-list, intra-familial transfer and they said it was a no-go for them.

I can't really blame them, but it is frustrating when they're such a big retailer in SoCal and they're not willing to do the work.

mej16489
03-08-2012, 4:48 PM
Sounds like a case of someone offering up too much information the transferring dealer doesn't need. Figure out how the ffl found out the pistol had ever been SSEd and you will be at the root of the problem. ;)

hiyabrad
03-08-2012, 5:02 PM
Sounds like a case of someone offering up too much information the transferring dealer doesn't need. Figure out how the ffl found out the pistol had ever been SSEd and you will be at the root of the problem. ;)

Incorrect.

No info was given and the sled was immediately requested. I then said the orig. transfer to me from outside CA was done as a SSE and this was a PPT therefore sled was not needed. AB then said it must be done with a sled and not a 10 round mag. No exceptions.

GTXR390
03-08-2012, 5:03 PM
I'd do the PPT elsewhere :)

hiyabrad
03-08-2012, 5:10 PM
UPDATE: Just spoke with Victor the Sales Mgr at Oaktree. He knew immediately that a sled is not needed. So tomorrow night I will be there to do a PPT of a Sig P556 with no sled!

I guess I'll need to talk with AB too. I did leave a post in the AB area on CG and referred them to this thread and asked them to comment.

CHS
03-08-2012, 5:24 PM
I can't really blame them, but it is frustrating when they're such a big retailer in SoCal and they're not willing to do the work.

I think the problem here is training that many people takes a lot of time, effort, and scheduling and you can never get to everyone. Ammo Bro's has a *LOT* of employees across two huge stores. Even if/when you do train everyone, you have to worry about retention. There's a LOT to know when it comes to firearm laws regarding transfers in CA. Just running through the DROS is a whole skillset and legal knowledge that you need to know that most gun people in CA are never even introduced to (unless you actually spend time working in a store). So when the employee was being trained about single shot exemptions and stuff, the part where they said "PPT's are exempt" may not have been retained and all they remembered or remembered they heard was "sled required".

Instead of giving them flak, just reach out to management and I'm sure things will get ironed out pretty quickly. Ammo Bro's is pretty good about making sure their guys are trained properly IF and only IF the management finds out there is a problem to begin with.

SRedmon
03-08-2012, 6:38 PM
I just spoke to the OP on the phone and got all the issues cleared up.

To clarify for everyone PPTs do not require a sled. If your magazine is in the pistol grip and the gun does not require a mag lock then no magazines are required at all. If your gun does require a mag lock we PREFER there to be a 10 or less round magazine with the gun.

CHS
03-08-2012, 6:45 PM

To clarify for everyone PPTs do not require a sled. If your magazine is in the pistol grip and the gun does not require a mag lock then no magazines are required at all. If your gun does require a mag lock we PREFER there to be a 10 or less round magazine with the gun.

Seeee OP!

Now, where's my commission? :)

ke6guj
03-08-2012, 6:59 PM

if you don't require a mag in that case, how do you do the handgun safety demo with THAT handgun (or one of the same make/model)?

Rekrab
03-08-2012, 7:27 PM
CHS has the right of it. I've been trained to use the DROS system and the 4473 form and it is a royal pain in the *** to know every single type of transfer you could possibly have to deal with.