PDA

View Full Version : Getting a foster child = Losing your 2nd A rights?

jimx
03-08-2012, 10:55 AM
I took in a kid that I know and love but am not related to. When the DCFS social worker in charge of inspecting my home came over the second question she asked me was ďDo you have any weapons in the house?Ē I assumed they would be an issue so everything was gone.

Has anyone dealt with DCFS and guns? I realize that I have RTBA but Iím also just a box on a form where the social worker will check ether acceptable or unacceptable. If she had checked unacceptable there would have been nothing I could have done.

Added a "?" to thread title.
// Librarian

killathrilla
03-08-2012, 11:02 AM

BlindRacer
03-08-2012, 11:12 AM
I'm not surprise that a question like that was on there. I've always seen social workers as some of the most liberal anti-gun people/organizations out there.

I hope a day will come when the worker asks, "do you have any guns in the house?" Then you answer, "Yes." And they respond with a "Good! You need to protect this child."

SFgiants105
03-08-2012, 11:15 AM
I'm not surprise that a question like that was on there. I've always seen social workers as some of the most liberal anti-gun people/organizations out there.

The irony of mixing bureaucracy with personal discretion

agdparker
03-08-2012, 11:16 AM
When our foster worker asked us about guns, I told her that we did have them in the house. All she asked was if they were "locked up". I said that they were and the subject never came up again. She did not ask to see the guns either. I believe that occurred during the home inspection phase, but I could be wrong. We had a placement shortly thereafter and have since adopted her, so I don't see gun ownership as an obstacle. I do have a co-worker going through the fost-adopt process, but through an adoption agency (we went through the county). The agency's rules are much stricter than what we went through, so depending on how you're doing things, you may get different questions.

X231
03-08-2012, 11:20 AM
I am a "non dependent guardian" which essentially is a foster parent. I had to go through a court ordered investigation before I was granted guardianship and I don't remember being asked about weapons. If I did I'm sure I answered truthfully though. My firearms are in a safe and I think that is all that should matter. Maybe the question you were asked was just the precursor to "do you have a safe?" had you answered yes.

The Original Godfather
03-08-2012, 11:28 AM
Can CGF bring in any help on this?

SASchnell
03-08-2012, 11:31 AM
20 years as a Foster Parent. As long as your weapons are secured you should have no problem. I routinely take my Foster Children shooting never been questioned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

darkwater
03-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Went thru the Fos-Adopt program 7 years ago, wasn't an issue for us. Can't recall if they asked, but if they had, we had them secured in the safe and would have told them as much.

putput
03-08-2012, 12:24 PM
The state is only concerned with the safety of the child. Remember they are moving the child from a dangerous situation and need to make sure that they are not moving them into a different dangerous situation.

You will be asked to do any number of things to bring your home into compliance. This will include having a proper fire extinguisher, locking up your kitchen knives, locking up your medications, locking up your cleaning products, locking up your kitchen trash (neglected children will often look there first when they are hungry), getting your deck railing up to code height, installing a fence around your pool. Don’t forget your first aid and CPR certifications.

And they will want you to lock up your guns in one place and your ammo in another. Bows and arrows too. And that sword collection will have to come off the walls…

That’s just one little check box among hundreds. Once they check it, they’ll move on and you’ll never hear another word about it.

Foster parents come from every background but there are a lot (A LOT!) of police, fire, military, or ex-police, ex-fire, ex-military, etc in the system. If they had to decline gun owners as acceptable foster parents, they would lose half of those who are eligible.

Old Timer
03-08-2012, 1:07 PM
When we finalized the adoption of our daughter the last home inspection was scheduled on a work day for me. I asked my patrol sgt. if it was okay to take an hour of personal time when the social worker arrived. He said, "Sure."

When the social worker arrived my wife called the dispatcher (pre-cell phone days) and the dispatcher told me to go home. I arrived in a marked patrol unit, in uniform, with my S&W 686 on my hip.

The social worker went through a list of question including "Are there any guns in the house." I just looked at her like she was really, really dumb. She then figured out the problem and laughed. That was the end of the matter. That "little girl" is now 38 with three kids of her own. The 686 is in my gun safe along with its brothers and sisters. :)

Foulball
03-08-2012, 1:29 PM
Not to thread jack or anything, but I just wanted to say how awesome all of you are for being foster parents!!!!

Thank you for providing good homes, a safe refuge and a role model that all kids need.

--

AndrewMendez
03-08-2012, 5:05 PM
Not to thread jack or anything, but I just wanted to say how awesome all of you are for being foster parents!!!!

Thank you for providing good homes, a safe refuge and a role model that all kids need.

--

I was just thinking the same thing. I don't think I would ever be able to take in anyone who wasn't close family....I applaud those who do. Adoption is a major problem in this country, and it makes me so sick, when these movie stars "rescue" kids from other Countries.

philobeddoe
03-08-2012, 5:06 PM
They do not have the right to ask.

BigFatGuy
03-08-2012, 5:21 PM
My in-laws were foster parents and adopted one of the children with a gun in the house.

taperxz
03-08-2012, 6:48 PM
I have a friend who has taken in foster kids and he takes them hunting and shooting. Never been a problem for him.

DParker
03-08-2012, 7:34 PM
We were vetted recently because we were listed as caregivers for the foster kids our son and his wife were caring for. They called me during the background check and stated that their records (!?!) indicated that we both had CCWs and asked if our guns were always locked up. I told them that if they weren't holstered on our persons, they were locked up. They said that was fine. No drama.

jimx
03-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Itís good to know that I have firearms in my future. That said I think I did the correct thing getting everything out of my house. Dealing with Los Angeles County has taught me one thing DCFS has an incredible amount of power! I was trying to help out one particular kid and didnít want any potential problems. The only thing that came up when they searched my place was aspirin in by bathroom med cabinet, lol they were ok for me to have but she wanted me to make sure the kid didnít have access to them (he is 15).

The mom is deigning the charges and also does not want me to be the foster parent. When we go to court I will be one of the witnesses against her. (Her 15 yo son is the victim and the one that reported her so the case against her is strong). One thing she pulled last weekend was to call the cops on me saying her son was in danger and I had weapons in the house.

At this time ďfor meĒ it is best that I do not have guns at home. I do not know how long I will have the kid as the main goal is to reunite him with his mother (which is 100% up to her! She will get help or not). But for right now even if it is only to have one less thing for him to worry about , Iím not keeping any guns at home.

rp55
03-09-2012, 12:03 PM
My wife and I were foster parents for her niece and nephew. The girl was given to us by her mother but the boy had fallen into the youth justice system and with his bad attitude was getting in deeper everyday, which was one of the reasons for taking him in. My wife went to court to get some paperwork on the girl and we were never asked about guns, but the boy has given over to us by juvenile court in San Mateo County.

He was on probation and every month an agent would come to talk to the boy and inspect the house. I was asked about guns and told they had to be kept locked up. I showed them my safes and they were checked every once in awhile.

I always thought it was curious that it was the senior agent for the county who always came down to do the check (we lived near Monterey at the time). Then one time a very young brand new woman agent came and stated that the other guy had retired. I had always thought that the newbie would get the job with all the driving and mentioned it to her. She laughed and said the other guy always came down because he would go play a round of golf at Pebble Beach when he was done with us (we lived right outside Country Club Gate at the time).

As an aside, both kids turned out fine once we got them away from the influence of their birth mother. The boy completed probation successfully and has avoided trouble ever since. Both of them finished high school, served honorably in the Marines (yes the girl too) and both are in college now.

Dreaded Claymore
03-09-2012, 2:25 PM

Word!