PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous weapons laws

Pipboy5
03-07-2012, 11:06 PM
There is right now a very informative thread about the history of gun control in California. It got me wondering to reasoning and history regarding laws for other types of weapons such as cane sword, nunchaku, shuriken, Blow gun, etc. There were a few others weapons that I had lookup in wikipedia. If anyone has some knowledge about it, please share.
I was actually looking to buy a blow gun online for a hobby until found it is illegal in California(also only NYC and Mass.)Was there was blow guns incident back in day that cause this? Are the other 48 states where it is not illegal in danger from this silent weapon but just don't realize yet? I am surprised bow and crossbow are still legal. California gots some really messed up gun and weapons laws.
I wondering if the history of some of these laws are similar to gun laws, to prevent certain group(chinese, native americans, elderly men?) from getting weapons. Or is some overaction to gang violence using some popular weapons at the time? Thanks.
This is my first real post. Joined Calguns around time of my first handgun purchase. Did a ppt with calgunner for a second handgun. I also learned about OLL law and how to assemble my AR-15 late last year from Calguns FAQs.

Quiet
03-07-2012, 11:15 PM
AFAIK... They were enacted in the 1970s.

Penal Code 20010
Any person who knowingly manufactures, sells, offers for sale, possesses, or uses a blowgun or blowgun ammunition in this state is guilty of a misdemeanor.

Penal Code 20015
Nothing in this division shall prohibit the sale to, purchase by, possession of, or use of any blowgun or blowgun ammunition by zookeepers, animal control officers, Department of Fish and Game personnel, humane officers whose names are maintained in the county record of humane officers pursuant to Section 14502 of the Corporations Code, or veterinarians in the course and scope of their business in order to administer medicine to animals.

BT JUSTICE
03-08-2012, 9:51 AM
The blow gun thing cracks me up. I wonder if there was some horrific blowgun massacre to precipitate the ban. I remember making them in grade school, out of a pen body and those push pins with a ball end. Wrap it in some spit-soaked paper to make a tight seal against the "barrel" and off you go. I'm glad my background investigator never asked about those "felonies", otherwise I'd be in a different line of work...

BlindRacer
03-08-2012, 10:40 AM
I think almost every crafty youngster these days make blow guns from pens. I know I did.

I don't think most of the 'dangerous weapon' laws in Cali have any specific cause. They just came up with every 'weapon' they could think of, and wrote it into the books. They didn't want people to have weapons at all. It's part of their utopia. Without weapons, there's no crime. That's how we came to things like - to be safe, whenever you have a baseball bat on you, you should have a ball/glove/whatever, so that it's not considered a baton.

These, as well as things like airsoft, and even paintball guns, are covered by the 2A. Training is a huge part of the 2A. The Ezell case made some great precedent regarding that. Replica airsoft guns, that are the same size and weight as their real counterpart, are an amazing source of practice. As well as paintball/airsoft matches where tactics can be learned and implemented.

Then all these other weapons are all covered as well. Just because guns are among the most effective arms, does not mean that other arms don't need to be protected. Knives, bows, batons, blowguns. They are all weapons that can be used for defense for self, family and country.

Hopefully, there are lawyers out there who are willing to fight to bring back our right to these other arms.

Personally, I want to see airsoft discharge in a city - especially your backyard - to be made legal. It is an excellent way to train. It is not dangerous. And when it's on your own property, what does it matter? Target shooting with an airsoft - both rifle and pistol, would be cheap and easy ways to practice tactics, trigger control, grip, breathing, etc. We need things like this to be protected.

jimx
03-08-2012, 11:00 AM
in 79 Blow Guns were legal in CA however metal darts were illegal.

jwkincal
03-08-2012, 1:20 PM
I don't think most of the 'dangerous weapon' laws in Cali have any specific cause. They just came up with every 'weapon' they could think of, and wrote it into the books. They didn't want people to have weapons at all.

Pretty sure it's this right here. They knew even in the dark ages that they wouldn't be able to ban all guns for political reasons, and the unions wouldn't let them ban knives (tools of the trade and all) but they damn sure wanted to ban EVERYTHING else. Just reading the text of the law makes that awfully clear.

CSACANNONEER
03-08-2012, 1:25 PM
I think blowguns were outlawed because people were shooting neighborhood cats and dogs.

BlindRacer
03-08-2012, 1:30 PM
I think blowguns were outlawed because people were shooting neighborhood cats and dogs.

Hmm, instead of making the object that was used, illegal, maybe they should have made a law saying, purposely injuring your neighbors cats and dogs is illegal.

But you know those darn blow guns...it just sits there on the coffee table, calling to you to become a murderous lunatic. Do you hear it. It's whispering to you. Yeah, that's it...pick it up...you know you want to...yeah, now walk outside...there you go...

CHS
03-08-2012, 1:44 PM
Hmm, instead of making the object that was used, illegal, maybe they should have made a law saying, purposely injuring your neighbors cats and dogs is illegal.

I'm sure that was ALREADY illegal. But you know, when there is a certain type of epidemic politicians MUST be seen doing "something".

CaffeinFeign
03-08-2012, 2:52 PM

But you know those darn blow guns...it just sits there on the coffee table, calling to you to become a murderous lunatic. Do you hear it. It's whispering to you. Yeah, that's it...pick it up...you know you want to...yeah, now walk outside...there you go...

:rofl2:

Ubermcoupe
03-08-2012, 3:08 PM
I think its because they were in some spy movie/novel (like cane guns, wallet guns, butterfly knives, suppressors, et al) that somehow ended up in the media that only super-duper super secret spy assassins would use to kill some one. :facepalm:

http://www.completebamboo.com/Pic%20Assets/Other/bamboo_blow_gun.jpg

I donít know what I am doing... help me... :stuart:

mdimeo
03-08-2012, 3:14 PM
Personally, I want to see airsoft discharge in a city - especially your backyard - to be made legal. It is an excellent way to train. It is not dangerous. And when it's on your own property, what does it matter?

Depends on the city.

BlindRacer
03-09-2012, 9:21 AM
Depends on the city.

Well, in my city, it's not allowed, so...

HBrebel
03-09-2012, 12:13 PM
does anybody really care anymore about laws written by these A-holes who don't even respect what is written in our Bill of Rights? What are we children, asking for permission to do things? Just avoid being caught, it's what they do. Why are we given jail time for violations while they are given transfers to new departments.? I gotta get outta here, screw Cali!

Lugiahua
03-09-2012, 12:22 PM
don't forget about it's felony to carry any fixed knife in "conceal" manner.

basically cops could wait outside a cooking utility shop or a knife shop and search anyone with probable cause...

BlindRacer
03-09-2012, 12:27 PM
don't forget about it's felony to carry any fixed knife in "conceal" manner.

basically cops could wait outside a cooking utility shop or a knife shop and search anyone with probable cause...

I know there are some exceptions for fixed blades regarding food prep utility. Don't know if being concealed is one of those. Bringing them onto school property, though I believe is.