PDA

View Full Version : CO Anti-gunners opposing a memorial statue of a Navy SEAL

Delta V
04-09-2007, 8:56 AM
http://slapstickpolitics.blogspot.com/2007/04/colorado-statue-honoring-fallen-navy.html

So far, it appears the City of Littleton is ignoring the zealots ...

BLKTALN
04-09-2007, 9:22 AM
we can't do things to honor our soldiers... this makes me sad... :(

redneckshootist
04-09-2007, 9:31 AM
I remember when I was living in Colorado, boulder and denver subs were very anti-gun and the rest of the state openly carryed guns.

So this comming from littleton (which is a denver subberb) dosent supprise me but it still makes me sad

tman
04-09-2007, 9:49 AM
I watched the news segment.

It seems as though they are opposing the location of the memorial.

I think the location is great, for all the reasons mentioned.

Charliegone
04-09-2007, 10:11 AM
Damn hippies are everywhere nowadays.:mad:

m1aowner
04-09-2007, 10:59 AM
Would they be happier if he had a 1903 instead? Stupid douches! Probably just a bunch of old nasty bitter women with no men in their lives, that never got married or had a family and hate the world that are behind the opposition.

CalNRA
04-09-2007, 11:16 AM
Would they be happier if he had a 1903 instead? Stupid douches! Probably just a bunch of old nasty bitter women with no men in their lives, that never got married or had a family and hate the world, that are behind the opposition.

good guess, or some of them could be a bunch of Metro-sexual men who never got a woman and lonely enough to oppose anything just to have social interactions. These two groups described most of the move-on.org types.

megavolt121
04-09-2007, 11:16 AM
I can't believe of their reasons was:
"Too many children will see a violent image"
"children should be exposed to a violence"

Come on people, I'm pretty sure children already associate images of soliders with guns the same way they associate a construction worker with a hardhat and hammer.

cartman
04-09-2007, 11:18 AM
I'm sorry but that is bull**** that they would compare an American hero with what happened with Columbine.

jumbopanda
04-09-2007, 11:35 AM
What....the....hell...

I think I just ruptured an artery from reading that. :mad:

bbbppc
04-09-2007, 11:51 AM
That's disgusting! What happened to America? We have a protest over a statue erected to honor a fallen war hero. What the hell is going on!!!!

slowjonn
04-09-2007, 1:14 PM
A simialr thing happened awhile back here in Cali. You might remember Navy Seal Neal Roberts, who was killed in Operation Anaconda? I grew up a few houses down from him (we were in the same grade/ age group). Long story short, about the time he was killed, the city of Woodland (where we grew up) was in the process of building and naming the second high school. IIRC, his brother Gaylon and others made a move to name the new high school after Neal. A big flap was made that there were a bunch of veterans in town and that it wouldn't be fair to them. I believe the suggestion of naming the school "Veterans High School" was mentioned with no better results. They ended up naming it "Pioneer High School". Lame. Clearly the city didn't want to have anything to do with our Vets. Why people fear honoring our warriors is beyond me.

This is the story that was related to me by family and friends. I could be off as I really don't go back there much anymore.

redneckshootist
04-09-2007, 1:53 PM
A simialr thing happened awhile back here in Cali. You might remember Navy Seal Neal Roberts, who was killed in Operation Anaconda? I grew up a few houses down from him (we were in the same grade/ age group). Long story short, about the time he was killed, the city of Woodland (where we grew up) was in the process of building and naming the second high school. IIRC, his brother Gaylon and others made a move to name the new high school after Neal. A big flap was made that there were a bunch of veterans in town and that it wouldn't be fair to them. I believe the suggestion of naming the school "Veterans High School" was mentioned with no better results. They ended up naming it "Pioneer High School". Lame. Clearly the city didn't want to have anything to do with our Vets. Why people fear honoring our warriors is beyond me.

This is the story that was related to me by family and friends. I could be off as I really don't go back there much anymore.

I knew Neal too and I remember when that happened I had only met him a few times when he came to visit. Iam good friends with his brother franklin, I was at the house when the military pesonal showed up to deliver the news that was a sad day.

It a small world isn't it

Technical Ted
04-09-2007, 1:58 PM
Put him on a horse waving a sword or standing with a musket by his side.:rolleyes:

Kids know about guns. You can't keep them from knowing about guns unless you keep them in a closet.

I have a good friend that I've known since junior high. He has a 10 yo son. His wife wanted to raise their child "right" and did her damnedest to protect him from guns: no toy guns; no books about guns; no movies with gun violence.

Funny thing is, she's okay with aircraft and the kid has a large selection of military aircraft models, books and movies (Many courtesy of Uncle Ted). Needless to say, the boy is a *****. A momma's boy. A wimp.

However, every so often my friend and his son do join me for hikes. Lately I've noticed that the boy will pick up a stick and pretend it's a gun: carrying it at low ready; sighting down the stick and pretending to pull a trigger while making subtle gunfire noises.

I've offered to take my friend and his son to the range several times and every time the answer is a variation of "I don't think Carol would approve of that".

Yeah, friend is whipped. He's also not a shooter. The only time he's fired a gun was during spring break in 1980 when he fired my 870 on a friends family property in the Santa Cruz mountains.

jumbopanda
04-09-2007, 2:40 PM
That's a sad story Ted. I think the dad needs to stand up to his wife and make her realize that she's turning their child into a wimp. Just because she has an irrational fear of guns doesn't mean that she needs to pass it on to her son. I swear, parents that try to shelter their kids from the facts of life make me sick.

MrLogan
04-09-2007, 3:15 PM
What the hell? He's a hero. Those people don't even deserve to kiss his boots. :mad:

24thMED
04-09-2007, 10:58 PM
The city council says it respected the differing opinions of citizens, but added that support for the memorial and its site has been overwhelming. The family and the city plan to move ahead with the memorial and its unveiling on the Fourth of July.