PDA

View Full Version : Using DROS Number for 4473/logbook Transaction Serial Number?

Colonel Monk
03-07-2012, 9:13 AM
Hello again:

I've read a lot here about these topics, but it's time that we need to start cracking on the actual work....

Been using some un-meaningful "1 of 10000" kind of number for the logbook, and not really correlating the 4473 to the logbook.

We aren't using a POS system yet - I like that idea for tracking but it's some years down the road. Until owner retires from day job in 4 years it's just going to be part time, but it's already gotten busy and unmanageable so that's why I'm here to get everything in line.

So, the DROS number seems like a decent idea because it's official, links the log book to the background check, etc. But, it's not available to you when you buy and log the firearm in. Sure, you can work backwards as soon as you DROS the firearm....

Do you all DROS the firearm before filling out the 4473 form?

The other one that makes sense for us is to use the "date-coded" transaction number...

120307-01 "YYMMDD-sequential number"

or something like that.

I'm thinking about using 10%'s excel log, but wondering if there is a way to program the sheet to assign this number automatically - so you run a macro in excel that grabs the current time, and checks to see if it can use "-01" or needs to move on to "-02" etc...

Little help?

Thanks

CM

Colonel Monk
03-07-2012, 9:16 AM
Also, as an addition - from what I'm hearing, the ATF wants you to correlate the line in the log to the 4473 - can I assume this is the transaction serial number in the upper right corner?

Sorry about the noob questions, but we all gotta start somewhere....

Carry on,

CM

kemasa
03-07-2012, 10:27 AM
The number can be anything that you want. Take a look at the 4473 and it says "if any", which implies it is optional.

You can fill out the 4473 and then determine the number that you want to use, so you could add the DROS number afterwards.

I would not use the DROS number because if you transfer more than one handgun or a handgun and a long gun, then you will have two DROS numbers (at least), so which would you use?

You can use a date coded one, which is fine if you hand write it, but if you use a stamp then it gets annoying to change it to the date, especially if you use the same stamp for the bound book.

I used to just use a seq. number, but now I also have the year added, just to make it easier to determine which year the 4473 is from on the first sheet, instead of opening it. I keep a sheet with the number that I have used, so ensure no duplicates.

Colonel Monk
03-07-2012, 10:59 AM
Kemasa

Thanks! you just gave me the reason I needed to NOT use the DROS number. I figured that there had to be a reason not to use it.

I think I'll go for the date + sequential number for multiple guns in the same day. Seems like a good way to go and used by multiple dealers here.

Thanks

kemasa
03-07-2012, 11:09 AM
Just make sure that you keep close track of the sequential number so as to not accidentally duplicate it.

You are welcome, that is what this forum is for.

tenpercentfirearms
03-07-2012, 2:44 PM
Just make sure that you keep close track of the sequential number so as to not accidentally duplicate it.

That is why we got away from this system. We kept duplicating numbers. Now we use our POS receipt number. It can never be duplicated.

Why not use the date and time or no number at all and just file them alphabetically?

Colonel Monk
03-07-2012, 2:56 PM
That is why we got away from this system. We kept duplicating numbers. Now we use our POS receipt number. It can never be duplicated.

Why not use the date and time or no number at all and just file them alphabetically?

I like the date and time idea. Just need to find someone to write a macro for your excel sheet - not that I can't figure it out, but I like automation.

I could see using your POS receipt numbers a few years from new when we have one but it'll be a while.

metalstorm999
03-07-2012, 5:03 PM
I've been using this method, 2012-1, 2012-2, 2012-3.......... so on and so on. I figure the year first, and then the numbers starting at 1,2,3..... that way it will never get duplicated.

Santa Cruz Armory
03-07-2012, 5:20 PM
We use this format: 12- 0001, 12-0002, 12-0003,..... and then reference that # in our A/D book in the Disposition side. Customers name then 4473# 12-0001, etc.

We also write the book, page and line # on the 4473 "dealers notes" line like this: 1-15-12 or whatever.

Good luck to you guys. :)