PDA

View Full Version : Where in SF area is a assult weapon gunsmith

Beatone
04-08-2007, 11:04 PM
Can one of you guy's here in the SF bay area tell me of a good assault weapons gunsmith around here. I'm having trouble with my Thompson. Thanks for any help.

aznglocker
04-08-2007, 11:10 PM
Not trying to be a smarta** but does such an animal exist for non-LE's in Kali?

bwiese
04-08-2007, 11:16 PM
I am assuming your 'Thomspon' is a civilian-legal semi-auto only carbine that fires from a closed bolt, and that it's reg'd as an AW in California.

True AW *gunsmiths* around here are hard to find. FFLs that hold CA AW permit do not necessarily 'smith them.

There are FFLs w/AW permits that you could use to ship your AW outside CA to an appropriate facility, and who would receive it back. DOJ can give you a list of ones closest to you.

However you you have something going for you: your reg'd Thompson AW is not banned by name, so it's a Category 3 AW.

DOJ has said, in their FAQ, and in my direct conversation with former Deputy AG/FD Asst Dir Tim Rieger, with Randy Rossi looking on, that sufficient evil features can be removed from a reg'd Cat 3 AW to render it into a normal semiauto rifle - at which point it can be treated like a long gun, shipped as a regular long gun, and returned to you as one - after which you can reassemble the AW features onto it.

I don't know a whole lot about Thompsons, but I'm pretty sure the only AW-triggering features on it are the pistol grip and the Cutts compensator (if present, which could have flash hider attributes). Remove both these items and you have an ordinary semiauto centerfire rifle that is not an AW (even though registered as such): it can then be shipped by mail to any FFL without special AW treatment, or left with an ordinary FFL gunsmith.

xenophobe
04-08-2007, 11:22 PM
However you you have something going for you: your reg'd Thompson AW is not banned by name, so it's a Category 3 AW.

DOJ has said, in their FAQ, and in my direct conversation with former Deputy AG/FD Asst Dir Tim Rieger, with Randy Rossi looking on, that sufficient evil features can be removed from a reg'd Cat 3 AW to render it into a normal semiauto rifle - at which point it can be treated like a long gun, shipped as a regular long gun, and returned to you as one - after which you can reassemble the AW features onto it.

Yup. That's how I shipped my USC receiver to Tactical Excellence, and had him send me the side folding stock and receiver in separate boxes.

Beatone
04-09-2007, 12:26 AM
[QUOTE=bwiese;566636]I am assuming your 'Thomspon' is a civilian-legal semi-auto only carbine that fires from a closed bolt, and that it's reg'd as an AW in California.QUOTE]

You are correct Bill, it is a reg'd Thompson AW here in CA. I was hoping for someone local but if I have to send it out of state I'll remove the cutts compensator and the grip. Thanks for the help. Anyone else with a gunsmith please let me know.

M1A Rifleman
04-09-2007, 6:30 AM
Try Tabor's Shooter's Supply in San Bruno, Frank is a good smith, and he may have the required permits etc.

bwiese
04-09-2007, 9:00 AM
Try Tabor's Shooter's Supply in San Bruno, Frank is a good smith, and he may have the required permits etc.

He is a very good smith.

He does not have an AW permit.

Of course for the situation I outlined above, he doesn't need one - however, he may be a bit leery here.

Frank had a nasty $10K AW estate/probate handling run-in with Iggy + DOJ (where it certainly appears Iggy made material statements different from fact, as documented on paperwork). While Tabor shop's conduct was totally legal and clearly allowable in statutory law, the DOJ filed AW charges.

AW charges were laughed outta court pretrial (the judge dismissed), but one other dealer heard Iggy say in passing (approx. quote), "Oh well it cost him $10K anyway".

m24armorer
04-09-2007, 2:51 PM
So, whats wrong with your Tommygun?

edsel6502
04-09-2007, 3:20 PM
AW charges were laughed outta court pretrial (the judge dismissed), but one other dealer heard Iggy say in passing (approx. quote), "Oh well it cost him $10K anyway".

:mad: What an assmonkey. <- I hope that is allowed

Beatone
04-09-2007, 9:45 PM
So, whats wrong with your Tommygun?

It won't shoot :-( Not sure what the problem is. Might be the firing pin? I also have a M1 carbine with the same problem.

McMadCow
04-10-2007, 11:44 AM

I would heed this advice with a MAJOR grain of salt. I no longer shop at Tabor's because of the extremely disrespectful way I've been treated pretty much every time I went there in the past. It seems to Mr. Tabor that if you're not pushing 60 and looking for a hunting rifle, then it's not worth the effort to be a little courteous to you.
The last time I was in there looking for a long eye relief scope for my K-31, they started off by hassling me for wanting to put a scope on the rifle. I'm sorry, isn't it MY money? Then when I wanted to check the eye relief of their various models, they got all huffy, saying that they won't take a return if I end up with the wrong one. Even when I was checking out one that was SPECIFICALLY a LER scope, the guy behind the counter insisted on hassling me and telling me he wasn't going to sell me the "wrong thing". I actually had to start arguing back with him to even let me see it, even though it said its specs right on the box.
Obviously I didn't end up buying a scope from them... but when I was at the counter paying for whatever accessories I did end up getting, the subject of my AR somehow came up and like clockwork, all three of them got on me about "is it registered...?!". Excuse me, is that any of your ****** business? I told them it was an OLL (Fulton FAR-15, Calguns group buy arranged by ArtherD), and they just said it would end up being illegal and that they won't touch those. I'm surprised he didn't go on to recommend I pick up one of his $200 Mosins instead. :rolleyes:
I'm so sick of that kind of attitude when it comes to CA gun stores. Especially when there ARE better places nearby. If you want a good store where the guys won't treat you like you're a jerk because you're a young guy in jeans and a t-shirt, go to City Arms in Pacifica. And if you need a good gunsmith who doesn't act like an *** to his customers, go to Krausewerke in San Mateo. I'm sure there are people who love Tabor's, but if we happen to share anything in common, appearance-wise, I guarentee you won't. :mad:

bwiese
04-10-2007, 11:55 AM
McMadCow,

YMMV. Frank's a good guy and excellent smith. Perhaps he has a bit of 'personality', but I and a ton of others have bought guns from him.

He's likely a bit leery of OLL situation since he got Iggy'd and it cost him $10K for nothing, on BS charges that were laughed out of court. I think he's coming around now though.

McMadCow
04-10-2007, 12:07 PM
Well I'm aware that he has a good reputation amongst Bay Area shooters, but between me and my group of friends (aged 23-31, I'm 30 myself), he's known to be nothing but a jerk. And of all places to be one, too! Young people who like shooting are an incredibly small minority in CA. If some young person who is gun-curious goes into Tabor's with questions about possibly becoming a first time purchaser, we can forget about adding that one to our ranks as an ally.

I'm not saying this stuff to slander Frank, either. I'm saying this to maybe steer someone like me to a more welcoming store for their needs. I may look like some young punk, but I've been shooting for 20+ years now in one form or another. I can get treated like that and go someplace else because I already know what I need. Someone who doesn't might just give up and go home.

ivanimal
04-10-2007, 12:24 PM
Frank can be a nice guy one day and an assmonkey the next. I used to live on Jenevein and Cedar, 6 blocks for him and shopped at Krausewerk, the next town over. I just got tired of the hassles.