View Full Version : VEPR hunter .308

03-06-2012, 8:03 PM
Hey everyone, first post here on calguns. Just wanted to get everyone's opinion on the vepr hunter in .308. It would be great if I can get some feedback from some shooters who actually own one or have some trigger time behind one but i don't mind hearing opinions from everyone as well.

The reason I'm trying to get info on this particular weapon is because I'm looking to get a California legal semi auto .308 for 100yrd. paper punching, mid range target shooting and has the ability to shoot decent groups at longer ranges as well, that won't cost an arm and a leg. I always pictured myself getting an M1A for this but I've been reading up on them a whole lot through the years and it seems that a lot of folks are saying if you don't go and get a super match them you'll end up spending a nice chunk of change to get them shooting nice groups. I'd get an AR10 but I'm not a huge fan of the whole bullet button. So I've been looking at this weapon.

I'm not saying this weapon will shoot as good or any better than an M1A standard off the shelf, I'm just asking the rest of you shooters if it will. What I've heard so far is the vepr hunter goes for around $1k, it's based off an AK47 with an RPK reciever, I've heard mixed reactions on the groups it shoots (anywhere from 3/4" to 3" groups) and I've heard it chews up your brass (which would suck cause I'm a reloader) and it looks like a great looking rifle.

If anyone could tell me more about and your personal experience with it it I'd appreciate it a whole lot. Maybe tell what kind of groups you get out of it @ 100yrds., if it's been reliable and all that, and if you know a better rifle for the money I'd appreciate the feedback. Here's a link showing it for anyone who might be curious about it also http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct1107.aspx -Thanks.

03-06-2012, 9:48 PM

03-07-2012, 7:00 AM
welcome. i have a sagia in 308 for half the price and it shoots very well. i can hit steel plates at well over 450 yards with it.

03-07-2012, 7:16 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. h0use, that's impressive. i was looking at some saigas as well and is definitely one of my top optionss, especially after hearing they are capable of that kind of shooting. I was really caught by the look of the vepr, but if i can pay half as much and get good performance like that. i may just get me a saiga. -Thanks h0use

03-07-2012, 8:23 PM
The Veprs looks AWESOME!!! If you get it hope you like it. :)

03-07-2012, 8:28 PM
Serious Mag Problem...everything else about the rifle is awesome. Vepr 308 Mags just plain suck!

03-07-2012, 8:29 PM
For the price of the Vepr you can build a AR10ish like rifle. Is what I have now.

03-08-2012, 3:35 PM

03-08-2012, 5:58 PM

03-09-2012, 9:21 PM

Welcome to Calguns! Be sure to check out the centerfire rifle section (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=67) for questions about your future .308. :)

03-12-2012, 1:58 PM
Welcome aboard! You might be better off reading/asking in the centerfire rifles area. Most folks don't look into the "new here" area for Qs to A.