View Full Version : transfering my Ca - non compliant springfield 1911 back home

03-06-2012, 6:53 PM
im in the military and station here in hawaii ,i have a springfield 1911 trp operator .45acp, half railed thats not ca legal... im a california resident and im about to move back to cali for orders... so , was wondering since california has so many rules, im not really sure how i can make my pistol legal in cali. .. any suggestions??

03-06-2012, 6:59 PM

SoCal Bob
03-06-2012, 7:25 PM
Welcome to Calguns. Your gun is not illegal in CA, it just isn't on the safe gun list so it cannot be sold by a CA FFL to a non LEO buyer. It can be sold to a non LEO through a Private Party Transfer (PPT) at a CA FFL, but cannot be shipped from one CA FFL to another CA FFL if the buyer is a non LEO. There is also a way to make them single shot pistols for the purpose of CA FFL sales to non LEO's, it is explained here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=383692

I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried. :rolleyes:

Here is a link to the CA DOJ site that talks about moving to CA with guns: http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/ab991

03-06-2012, 7:34 PM

03-09-2012, 9:13 PM

Welcome to Calguns! Don’t worry, as long as your handguns don’t have threaded barrels you’re GTG. The roster (aka “CA Legal List”) only applies to HGs bought from FFL dealers within the state.

If there is something you’re looking for not on the roster I would suggest picking it up before you move.

ALSO: Stop by Sugoi’s on Kalani st before you come over and have some Garlic Chicken for me.


03-12-2012, 2:09 PM
Welcome aboard! I don't know the answer to your Q. However, I know the answer is here or can be found here. You just need to look/ask in the right subforum (most folks don't look into the "new here" area for Qs to A).

03-12-2012, 3:15 PM

03-12-2012, 3:24 PM
You and your pistol are both welcome.

You can't buy it from a dealer but it's fine if you bring it in.

If you want another one you can buy one in California but it has to be from somebody who already owns one. PPT- person to person transfer at a gunstore/FFL. You could even sell it the same way.

03-12-2012, 3:49 PM
Bring it in. Register it when you get here.

That's it.

See if you can find a bunch of off-list pre-lock S&Ws to bring, too. :)

03-12-2012, 10:38 PM
Welcome aboard.