PDA

View Full Version : FAL question

areyouliving
03-06-2012, 4:18 PM
Is a FAL like this one legal for sale in CA? It has no BB.

Thanks

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q276/areyouliving/Guns/alf5.jpg
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q276/areyouliving/Guns/alf1.jpg

S470FM
03-06-2012, 4:26 PM
only if the FAL was registered as an assault weapon prior to 2000, otherwise no.

cabinetguy
03-06-2012, 4:32 PM
is the mag fixed?

areyouliving
03-06-2012, 4:46 PM
Not a fixed mag.

Do you mean if the owner had registered it with the state?

kingmoochr
03-06-2012, 4:55 PM
I didnt think aw's were transferable. If fn fal is on the ban list then no. if its not (on the list or a fn fal) unless you put a bb on it then no. and you cant use that mag as is

areyouliving
03-06-2012, 5:04 PM
Thanks guys.

cabinetguy
03-06-2012, 5:11 PM
i think fn is listed, there are uppers (the registered part on fn's) that are off list. just follow the flowchart

cabinetguy
03-06-2012, 5:11 PM
i think fn is listed, there are uppers (the registered part on fn's) that are off list. just follow the flowchart

anothergunnut
03-06-2012, 9:25 PM
I don't believe it is a FN gun since it is a STG. You would need to see who the manufacturer is but it is likely off list. If it is offlist, you could add a bullet button such as the excellent one the PRK firearms manufactures and sells. You'd also need a ten round magazine which you can get from DSA arms.

saki302
03-06-2012, 10:31 PM
IF it's off-list, they can ship it to you in two pieces- just remove the lower from the upper = not a functional rifle anymore.

I'm selling a DSA 10 rounder in the marketplace. They aren't the nest working mags on earth, but do work with some tweaking.

-Dave

freonr22
03-06-2012, 10:34 PM
I am probably wrong, but, I don't see a flash hider, so if you did a solar tactical? Or monster an type grip, and had 30 round mags prior to 2000, you don't need a bullet button, if its off list?.....

Von_Richthofen
03-06-2012, 11:39 PM
I am probably wrong, but, I don't see a flash hider, so if you did a solar tactical? Or monster an type grip, and had 30 round mags prior to 2000, you don't need a bullet button, if its off list?.....

Yes... If the only PRK "Evil Feature" is the pistol grip, then you are correct... With an ST grip, etc you can preban hi cap mag all day long if it's also off list....

Sicarius
03-07-2012, 9:30 AM
Looks like an STG kit on possibly an Imbel receiver. You are off list if that is the case. Only the FN FAL is banned by name. SAR-48 also if that matters... Just grip wrap it from solar tactical or bullet button it. You cannot bring the mags into the state. You can disassemble and keep them as parts kits but you would violate the law if you assemble them back into 20 rounders.
Kevin

SURVIVOR619
03-07-2012, 12:50 PM
Check the markings inside the receiver, I've seen some "FAL" variants that were complete Argentenian from the DM Rosario plant, marked "FMAP DM", which is not banned by name, i.e. OLL. Follow the excellent CG flowchart by way of BB, mag capacity, etc and you got yourself an awesome rifle in your collection.

areyouliving
03-09-2012, 10:40 AM
Ok this is what is says

IMBEL made in Brasil Pacific Armament Corp.- Modesto, CA D.S.A., Inc. Lake Barrington, IL PAC5629

areyouliving
03-11-2012, 7:39 PM
Is this a common brand?

Obviously a Plant
03-11-2012, 8:45 PM
DS Arms is one of the better makers of FAL-type rifles, much more reliable than Century or Enterprise.
Imbel parts are generally considered high quality and are more desirable now that they are no longer imported.
If you need that rifle sent to CA by an out-of-state private party, you can either have them send the barreled upper to an FFL and the lower to you, or have them remove the hand grip or add a bullet button (magazine release shroud, PRK arms makes some) and ship the rifle whole. Talk to the FFL you plan on dealing with first to see what condition they want to receive it in.
This looks like it could be a great gun, likely worth obtaining.

Barabas
03-12-2012, 8:28 AM
I've never seen an IMBEL receiver with DSA's name on it. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, I guess, but PAC and DSA on the same IMBEL receiver? Something smells fishy. Are you sure it isn't an IMBEL upper on a DSA lower?

Edit: Further research proves that DSA did in fact assemble some STG kits on IMBEL receivers imported by PAC, back in the day. It should say "Assembled by DSA" on the magwell. I'd buy it if I was in the market for another FAL, just because it's a PAC import, but I'm biased.

1911su16b870
03-12-2012, 9:30 AM
Enterprise Arms in Irwindale is your FAL connection, they have 2 or 3 on the rack ready to go to your home!

thedrickel
03-12-2012, 9:38 AM
How much is it? It's way superior to a current Entreprise.

saki302
03-12-2012, 5:14 PM
I own a DSA built on an Imbel receiver. They made some in the late 90s to get them in before the CA AW ban. I did register mine as an AW, but they are not banned by name.

The build quality is great- never had a problem with mine.. though I did end up turning it into a PARA 50.63 replica, just because I can :D

Only thing I didn't like was the non-threaded barrel. That can be swapped out later(with some effort).

If you buy this, I still own the original muzzle brake which was held on by set screws. A gunsmith can also tap the stub at the end for 1/2"x28 threads- there's JUST enough room to do it (and AR accessories fit if you ream them out to a .30 hole).

-Dave

areyouliving
03-12-2012, 7:52 PM
He is in Nor Cal. Registered in his name preban. He wants $1500 for it. I'm gonna pass on it since I just bought a Mini 30.

saki302
03-13-2012, 2:40 PM
If he registered it, he'd have to DE-register it prior to selling it, and legalize or disassemble it first.

I still don't get why ANYONE would sell a registered AW- it's priceless!!

-Dave