PDA

View Full Version : magazine size limits help

scrat
04-08-2007, 9:12 PM
Ok i was referred to here from another forum. Over the weekend i was cleaning up at my parents house and found a box that had some magazines for one of my rifles. Rifle is a .22lr Marlin Model 700. The magazines are one stock 7 round, and three 15 round banana clip magazine. The magazines are original marlin magazines. i purchased them back in 1990 or 1991. Now my question is are these still legal to use being 15 rounds. everything i found under the DOJ website only specifies to assualt weapons and center fire. There is an exemption to tube fed .22 rimfire. However im not too sure how this fits in. I would love to take them to the range. Anyone who has shot a .22 lr knows how much of a pain it is to have to reload after 7 shots. So where do i go from here.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a155/scrat36/marlin.jpghttp://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a155/scrat36/marlin3.jpghttp://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a155/scrat36/marlin.jpg

Fjold
04-08-2007, 9:17 PM
Any magazine that you bought in 1990 or 1991 (no matter what capacity) are absolutely legal for you to own and use in your Marlin.

M. Sage
04-08-2007, 9:28 PM
100% legal because you had them before the ban (which was 2000, IIRC.)

Use 'em, enjoy 'em, and I'm jealous.

scrat
04-08-2007, 9:50 PM
100% legal because you had them before the ban (which was 2000, IIRC.)

Use 'em, enjoy 'em, and I'm jealous.

Cool now do i have to have proof of that with me. Or is there some kind of form i need to fill out. I do have a reciept for one of them when i purchased the gun itself.

mike100
04-08-2007, 9:54 PM
the burden of proof on these unenforceable set of hi-cap laws lie with the state. they know damn well people didn't keep documentation for things that were perfectly legal previous to the AWB and then CA specific restrictions.

If you can say that you bought those way back before 2000 with a straight face in all honesty then you ought to be fine.

oaklander
04-08-2007, 9:56 PM
No proof is needed. The burden is on the DOJ to prove that you didn't have them before the hi-cap ban.

However, some friendly advice. Please don't take it the wrong way - but please be careful how you ask questions here. The reason is that the DOJ monitors this board.

Probably the best way to ask this kind of question is in the hypothetical - e.g. "is a hi-cap rimfire magazine that someone possesed before the hi-cap ban legal in this state," etc..

:)

That being said - welcome to the board!!! There's a lot of good information here, and it's a good crowd!!!

scrat
04-08-2007, 10:04 PM
here is a link to the type of magazine. if you look really close you will see it says big 5 model 700. this is the type i have.

http://www.hoosiergunworks.com/images/marlin_70_15shot_new.jpg

scrat
04-08-2007, 10:09 PM
No proof is needed. The burden is on the DOJ to prove that you didn't have them before the hi-cap ban.

However, some friendly advice. Please don't take it the wrong way - but please be careful how you ask questions here. The reason is that the DOJ monitors this board.

Probably the best way to ask this kind of question is in the hypothetical - e.g. "is a hi-cap rimfire magazine that someone possesed before the hi-cap ban legal in this state," etc..

:)

That being said - welcome to the board!!! There's a lot of good information here, and it's a good crowd!!!

I actually dont have any problem with the DOJ they can see my firearms any time they want. Like i said i do have one of the reciepts on the purchase of one of the magazines at the time of purchase of the firearm. I am sure if i really looked into my old paperwork i can find the other two reciepts on them too. Im just not too sure what they would say at the shooting range. i would love to get something in writing saying its ok to have them if purchased before the ban. Same time if i needed to fill something out i will do it. I was thinking for now to make copies of the reciept and take it with me to the range. If it were ever a problem i would just destroy them. but it is a pain to have to reload after every 7 rounds on a rimfire. I also have a tube fed marlin model 60. biggest advantage is not messing up your thumb when reloading.

tenpercentfirearms
04-08-2007, 10:14 PM
Don't worry about the DOJ. They have a hard enough time finding the resources to inspect gun dealers let alone spend all of their time tracking down IPs, getting a search warrant, and going after a guy with high capacity magazines. Some people have their tin foil hats on too tight. Like this guy.

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/8496657f-ef19-482b-ad4e-c44ebb200fa9.jpg

C.G.
04-08-2007, 10:19 PM
Don't worry about the DOJ. They have a hard enough time finding the resources to inspect gun dealers let alone spend all of their time tracking down IPs, getting a search warrant, and going after a guy with high capacity magazines. Some people have their tin foil hats on too tight. Like this guy.

Where is his scooter?:D

oaklander
04-08-2007, 11:12 PM
Too much coffee tonight. :)

xenophobe
04-08-2007, 11:35 PM
I was digging around in my garage today and found these highcaps... and I haven't owned a 10/22 in a couple of years.. lol

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/9466/1022pu7.jpg

I got a bag of beretta 92 mags somewhere, but I couldn't find them...

bwiese
04-08-2007, 11:37 PM
I got a bag of beretta 92 mags somewhere, but I couldn't find them...

You too?
I got a bag myself of 'em, along with Sig 226 and 229 mags.

Just in case I get those guns :)

xenophobe
04-08-2007, 11:43 PM
You too?
I got a bag myself of 'em, along with Sig 226 and 229 mags.

Yeah, I had a bunch of Sig 226 mags. Sold them on gun broker a number of years ago, before the FAWB sunsetted... I sold them after I sold my P226, because I know I won't be getting another one. The factory 20 rounders I had sold for quite a bit too.

I know I've got like a dozen Beretta 92 mags somewhere. I put 'em in a paper bag and can't find them... I'm consolidating all my mags.

I did find 8 or 9 Beretta 84F 13rnders though. I will be getting another one of those someday.

ts
04-09-2007, 12:50 AM
oh wow he said banana clip magazine - i am shocked no one jumped on him for using the word clip incorrectly yet!:cool:

leelaw
04-09-2007, 1:36 AM
oh wow he said banana clip magazine - i am shocked no one jumped on him for using the word clip incorrectly yet!:cool:

I just saw it, then noticed someone beat me to the comment. I'm surprised, Calguns, you're dropping the ball! :p

banana clip magazine

ARRRRRRRRRGH!!! :mad:

scrat
04-09-2007, 9:48 AM
ok back to the original discussion. Can we take these magazines to the shooting range or will they kick us off or tell us we can not use them.

luvtolean
04-09-2007, 9:56 AM
Shoot them without concern.

Rangemasters are more likely to congratulate you on your high caps than not allow you to use them. :)

grywlfbg
04-09-2007, 5:23 PM
Yep. Go to the range and have fun. Also, since you state they've been sitting around for awhile, if you find out they need any repair, you are within your rights to repair your hi-caps as much as you need to up to and including complete replacement. You just need to make sure you don't have more hi-caps that you started out with :eek:

Here's a reference letter from the DOJ on the repair issue:
http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/DOJ-large-cap-magazines-2005-11-10.pdf

I've never had anyone even look at me at the range when using my 30-round AR mags.

M. Sage
04-09-2007, 6:47 PM
I don't think I've heard of any ranges that are like that. Should be able to use them just fine.

I'm really upset that, moving here after the ban, I can't have any high cap mags....

Yankee Clipper
04-09-2007, 9:02 PM
ok back to the original discussion. Can we take these magazines to the shooting range or will they kick us off or tell us we can not use them.

Yes, you can use them at any gun range you chose. I use my M1A with several 20 round mags at several So. Cal. ranges and have not been questioned by a Range Master yet. Nor would I expect them to: their primary function is safe shooting first and, secondly, to make sure the range functions properly. Their third function is, again, safe shooting. They're not there to enforce and interpret this states' inane gun laws.

scrat
04-10-2007, 9:48 AM
well with that im going to be spending a couple of hours today loading some ammo for my 30-30. then tomorrow i am going to the range. Its nice to be on vacation

1911_sfca
04-10-2007, 9:58 AM
Yes, you can use them at any gun range you chose. I use my M1A with several 20 round mags at several So. Cal. ranges and have not been questioned by a Range Master yet. Nor would I expect them to: their primary function is safe shooting first and, secondly, to make sure the range functions properly. Their third function is, again, safe shooting. They're not there to enforce and interpret this states' inane gun laws.

But, but... didn't you know that high-capacity mags are unsafe and should be stopped? I don't see how a rangemaster could overlook this danger.

OK true, they don't allow you to spray from the hip like pistol grips, but you can still fire unlimited bullets without reloading.

chiefcrash
04-10-2007, 2:14 PM
back in '92 or so, my dad took me to an army surplus store (since i was ALWAYS into that stuff)

i had about $15 or so from my allowance (i was only 7 at the time). I found a big bucket of broken/bent magazines. They were selling them for scrap parts at $2 each. I picked up 2 Berreta 92 mags, 3 AK mags, and 3 AR mags to play with when i played soldier boy in the back yard...

a couple of years ago when i moved back to california, my parents had me go through a bunch of boxes of my stuff that was still there. I found my mags, and a little light bulb came on: i can repair my legally owned high-cap magazines!

now i have two functional Berretta 92 mags. Once I get my AK back from James, i plan to repair the AK mags. And once i build a detachable mag build out of my Spike's Tactical lower, i plan to repair those AR mags too.

that day was like christmas in july!

Yankee Clipper
04-10-2007, 7:46 PM
But, but... didn't you know that high-capacity mags are unsafe and should be stopped? I don't see how a rangemaster could overlook this danger.

OK true, they don't allow you to spray from the hip like pistol grips, but you can still fire unlimited bullets without reloading.

You and your tongue and cheek! The anti-gunners are probably looking at the last part thinking "That's the way they do it in the movies!". Good thing we can amuse ourselves on this forum. With the number of anti's running around we've got to have our sense of humor or lose our sanity.

JPglee1
04-10-2007, 7:58 PM

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/8496657f-ef19-482b-ad4e-c44ebb200fa9.jpg

Hehe... he'd be a perfect candidate for membership in the Tinfoil Hat Alliance...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tinfoilhatalliance/

J

chiefcrash
04-11-2007, 11:01 AM
There is no restriction on ownership of high capacity mags in CA. There is also nothing illegal about finding, receiving, or buying high capacity mags in CA.

you should note for the noobs that there ARE restrictions on importing, selling, giving, lending, and manufactering...