PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from new member (Alpha-Zulu)

Alpha-Zulu
03-06-2012, 9:06 AM
Greetings to the Calguns forum.

It's a sincere pleasure to be a new member.

I'm a southern Californian (born and raised) that's been living in Arizona for the past 18 years, and about to move back home to California with the family.

Being a family of shooters and enthusiasts, we've obviously got some adjusting to do when in comes to our beloved firearms, most of which we won't be able to bring with us from AZ if we want to stay legal, and trust me when I say we want to stay legal. The last thing we'd want is to get into trouble due to an oversight on our part of some detail.

We do own a number of Off List ARs and AKs, as well as a couple of M1A1s (springfield) and DSA SA58 rifles.

I'm wondering if anyone would have some viable suggestions on how we can legally bring our rifles into California during the move and have them properly registered. I'm curious if I'd need to strip all the receivers, and have them sent from my dealer (FFL) in Arizona to a dealer in southern California in order to go through the registration and background check process.

Are there any others in the forum who have gone through a similar situation?

Any feedback would be well received and highly valued.

Best regards to you all :cool2:

h0use
03-06-2012, 10:03 AM
welcome

SoCal Bob
03-06-2012, 10:57 AM
Welcome to Calguns. Look just above your post and below the sponsor tiles and you will see a link called "Flowcharts & OLL Assembly Guide", this should have most of the info you need on what changes you need to make. You may want to post additional questions in the centerfire rifles section.

You can bring magazines with you but they must be disassembled prior to entering CA if they hold more than 10 rounds, magazines holding 10 rounds or less are fine.

Handguns will need to be registered with CA DOJ but rifles do not require registration.

Here is a link to the DOJ site with the "Firearms Information for New CA Residents" page, it has links to the forms you will need to register the handguns: http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/ab991

If you should decide to call DOJ with a question be aware that if you talk to 10 different employees you might get 10 different answers.

Alpha-Zulu
03-06-2012, 1:09 PM
Thank you h0use for the welcome.

SoCal Bob, my many thanks for the information provided. I'll research everything now.

zod
03-06-2012, 1:21 PM
Welcome aboard.

.22guy
03-06-2012, 1:28 PM
Welcome to Calguns! :)

den888
03-06-2012, 2:34 PM
Welcome!

GMG
03-06-2012, 2:51 PM
Welcome aboard !

jonc
03-06-2012, 3:01 PM
welome!!!:eek:

xXx Sir Sik xXx
03-06-2012, 3:01 PM
Welcome

Sonny188
03-06-2012, 4:13 PM
Welcome!

bikr4jc
03-06-2012, 8:25 PM
Welcome!!!

LikeAllGuns
03-06-2012, 8:27 PM
Welcome... good luck...

Alpha-Zulu
03-08-2012, 10:02 AM
I sincerely appreciate the warm reception, and from such an awesome group of shooters!

Makes me feel right at home :)

Sunderland
03-08-2012, 2:44 PM
Welcome

Wicked Pete
03-09-2012, 7:57 AM
Welcome to Calguns. Look just above your post and below the sponsor tiles and you will see a link called "Flowcharts & OLL Assembly Guide", this should have most of the info you need on what changes you need to make. You may want to post additional questions in the centerfire rifles section.

You can bring magazines with you but they must be disassembled prior to entering CA if they hold more than 10 rounds, magazines holding 10 rounds or less are fine.

Handguns will need to be registered with CA DOJ but rifles do not require registration.

Here is a link to the DOJ site with the "Firearms Information for New CA Residents" page, it has links to the forms you will need to register the handguns: http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/ab991

If you should decide to call DOJ with a question be aware that if you talk to 10 different employees you might get 10 different answers.

Welcome. Glad you could join. SoCal Bob: you are our hero!

Ubermcoupe
03-09-2012, 10:31 PM
A-Z,

Welcome to Calguns! You will want to consult several threads here on the site about compliance and the like, but off hand you will need to Bullet Button your centerfire rifles and disassemble your >10 mags into parts, unless you had them in the state prior to 2000.

Good luck with the move and welcome back. :)

Alpha-Zulu
03-10-2012, 11:06 PM
Thank you Sunderland, Wicked Pete, and Ubermcoupe for the welcome and the information.

DeanW66
03-12-2012, 4:05 PM
Welcome aboard! Lots of useful info and helpful folks 'round these parts. You've received some answers but you are usually better off looking/asking in the appropriate subforum. Most folks don't look into the "new here" area for Qs to A.