View Full Version : HSC?

03-06-2012, 7:33 AM
Finally received my CFD number!!! Now comes the fun part.

Where can I go to become a HSC instructor?

I have looked at the NRA site but it does not say anything about certifying for CA HSC.

Being a home based FFL I don't want to tell customers to to X to get the HSC and then come back.

I have friend who have walked into a gun shop read the book, took the test and viola! They get a HSC. No, demonstration or training.

If its not one thing its another.


Mssr. Eleganté
03-06-2012, 8:01 AM
The California Penal Code lists eight ways to be eligible to become an HSC instructor...

(1) Department of Consumer Affairs, State of California-Firearm Training Instructor.
(2) Director of Civilian Marksmanship, Instructor or Rangemaster.
(3) Federal Government, Certified Rangemaster or Firearm Instructor.
(4) Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, Firearm Instructor Training Program or Rangemaster.
(5) United States Military, Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) as marksmanship or firearms instructor. Assignment as Range Officer or Safety Officer are not sufficient.
(6) National Rifle Association-Certified Instructor, Law Enforcement Instructor, Rangemaster, or Training Counselor.
(7) Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST), State of California-Firearm Instructor or Rangemaster.
(8) Authorization from a State of California accredited school to teach a firearm training course.

CalDOJ lists a bunch of places on this web page where you can get training that they say will qualify you...


Hopefully one of them is close to you.

03-06-2012, 9:00 AM
Thanks, I know, 15 years in the Corps as infantry and scout sniper. Worthless, go figure.

03-12-2012, 6:59 PM
where are you located? I am doing mine next week here in Fresno at Herb Bauers $100 bucks.

03-15-2012, 8:47 PM
Im in Chula Vista (San Diego). Going to do it Monday... Depends on work and kiddies.