View Full Version : Moving to Cal, AR questions

6.8 fan
03-06-2012, 5:54 AM
I know you guys have probably seen this a million times, but please bare with me as I think I already know the answers I'm going to ask you, but I'll ask them anyway.
I have 3 Rock River AR rifles, one is a midlength collapsible stock 5.56, one a rifle length varmint with an A4 stock and one is a midlength 6.8 with A4 stock. Are all three non-compliant just because they are made by Rock River? If so, do I simply need to change the lower receivers to an off list brand of lower? Any help is really appreciated. I also have an IMI Baby Eagel 9mm with high capacity mags, also illegal?

My new job is bring me to the Sacramento area around the middle of March, so time is short to get compliant! Any recommendations on a good shooting range around Sacramento as well?

Thanks for helping out a newbie!

03-06-2012, 6:17 AM
I'm new to the game but I just purchased a complete RRA 5.56 in CA. The only difference was adding a bullet button to make it a fixed 10 rd magazine.

03-06-2012, 6:49 AM
As long as your rifles are not listed by model in this list, then you are g2g with some modifications:

If your rifles have features that CA considers "Evil" (pistol grip, VFG,collapsible stock) you will need a bullet button in order to keep these features.

You can't use standard capacity magazines in a rifle that is equipped with a bullet button, you are limited to 10 rounds or less.

Remember that CA's minimum OAL is 30" for a semi-auto centerfire rifle

Barrel must be 16" minimum (so pinned and welded muzzle break if under, as SBR's in CA are banned if not a RAW)

If your rifles are on the list, then swap out the lower for an OLL and follow the same steps above.

Hope this helps and let me be the first to welcome you to the Suck :( .
Get ready to learn some very stupid and horribly pointless gun laws.

03-06-2012, 7:13 AM
This interactive site will help you

CalGuns AW Flowchart (http://calnra.com/cgi-bin/flowchart.cgi?Reset=Try+Again&qq=)

These RRA are on the list and thus banned in CA:

Rock River Arms, Inc.
Standard A-2
Car A2
Standard A-4 Flattop
Car A4 Flattop
NM A2 - DCM Legal
LE Tactical Carbine

Worst case scenario is you will need to buy three stripped (CA legal) lowers and swap your RRA lowers out, plus the BB of course unless going featureless.

03-06-2012, 7:22 AM
Any recommendations on a good shooting range around Sacramento as well?

I like going to YSA Yolo Sportsmans Association

YSA (http://yolo.net/sportsmen/)

Close to home, nine bucks for non members, range masters are not jerks. Only thing is, cash only. Plus they have clays if you want to practice with your shotguns.

03-06-2012, 10:12 AM
Sac Valley is my favorite range near Sacramento. It is a bit of a drive from the downtown area though. Cordova is a little closer but not near as nice.

6.8 fan
03-07-2012, 5:22 AM
Thanks to everyone for thier input and the range recommendations. Robby at Goldenstate Tactical checked my Rifles and says they are all legal with the Button of course. Just ordered 3 of them. Is Sac Valley the one with the 1000 yd range? Hope to meet some of you guys out there!

03-07-2012, 7:06 AM
Is Sac Valley the one with the 1000 yd range? Hope to meet some of you guys out there!

Yes, to answer your question, but the 1K is only open for certain events (special occasions), matches, that sort of thing. Typically the 25-100, and 300 are open at all times. You have to qualify on the 100 (tight three shot group before they will let you shoot on the 300). It's no big deal just take a little time because you have to physically bring in your target to prove you can shoot, and get your 300 yard qualification card.

6.8 fan
03-08-2012, 5:31 AM
No big deal there on the 100-300 qualification. Are there any other long distance ranges to shoot at?