View Full Version : 4473 eForm - do you use it? And how do you file them?

Colonel Monk
03-05-2012, 8:40 PM
See other thread on 4473s and California for back story....

On a different topic though - seems really easy for the customer to get confused and fill out the form incorrectly and write the wrong dates in the wrong place and all.

I'm quite computer-literate and have been trying to get away from handwritten forms and paper records for some years now.

I found the e4473 application online and I'm going to check it out here shortly. Just curious what you all think of it.

Am I correct in my assumption that you still file via paper though?

Also, I'm aware of the documents that are required for CA DOJ package, but what about accompanying docs for 4473? Is it sufficient just to keep all the paperwork for the state together, and then reference the DROS on the 4473?

to paint a picture, for example for handgun:

Copy of DL with right thumbprint
Safe Handling Affadavit
Proof of Address (if needed)
Affadavit of Gun Safe/Lock
Sales Invoice

4473 with California DROS referenced.

We were planning on filing them separately, but I would like to know what you all are doing.

Also, do you see any value to scanning e-copies of all this for backup / ease of locating files?

Sorry about the newb questions, it's a bit of a steep learning curve and just want to make sure we are doing it right.

03-06-2012, 12:19 PM
I keep all the forms together since it is easier. If you file everything separately then it can be hard to get all the documents for a given transfer, which could annoy the inspector.

You have to enter the DROS number on the 4473, so there is the reference there. You also need a copy of receipts and FFLs.

I find the e4473 annoying since you have to print everything out and that costs money.

Scanning is ok, but extra work and I doubt that anyone would consider it acceptable over the original. So if you want to look at it and if it helps you, then fine, otherwise I don't think it buys you much.