PDA

View Full Version : 4473 and California Questions

Colonel Monk
03-05-2012, 8:29 PM
Howdy All:

As mentioned in another thread, I'm new to the FFL paperwork and have just started working for a friend part-time to make certain that his paperwork is up to snuff.

I took a look on the search, and have read the FAQs on ATF's site but I'm not finding the CA - specific info I'm looking for.

All the doc packages are filled out the same (basically) but I'm confused why section B of our 4473s have NOT been used. I asked my FFL friend (boss) about this, and he was told by another friend and FFL something to the effect that it wasn't necessary in conjunction with the CA DROS.

Can someone shed some light on this? Normally when I see a gov't form I'm expecting that it needs to be filled out in full unless I have from the Gov't a written reason NOT to fill it out completely.

Seems to me, that section A and box 16/17 should be complete before the DROS is run, then section B filled out by FFL, and then when buyer takes possession of firearm Section C signature and date from buyer, followed by Section D with Firearms and Seller details...

If anyone has an example 4473 filled out to go with a DROS that would be really helpful.

As we haven't done much business yet (and all with acquaintances) this should be fairly easy to remedy, but I'd like to know just how it should be done so we can get it right from here out. I mean, we have all the right information in the combined packet, I'm just not sure we have it arranged properly.

Thanks,

CM

Colonel Monk
03-06-2012, 8:15 AM
I installed the e4473 application last night, and filling one out, it would not let me skip section B which indicates that it must be filled out.

Just looking for a little reinforcement from the FFL community before we change our process.

Thanks.

CM

EBR Works
03-06-2012, 8:56 AM
We have been using the e4473 for a year and it works well for us. We always complete section B. Keep in mind that per ATF, the client is required to type in the info. We have a dedicated laptop for this purpose. Once the client completes section A, we complete section B and print it. DROS date and number need to be hand written along with "proceed" checked.

Colonel Monk
03-06-2012, 10:20 AM
EBR,

Thanks for your reply. I think this is leading me down the path I know we need to go.

Can you confirm for me the following:

1) Buyer Sig/Date from Section A should be the date of the DROS at the beginning of wait period?

2) Buyer Sig/Date from Section C should be pickup date AFTER wait period?

3) DROS number goes in BOX 21b?

4) If a DROS is denied - how to handle the RE-DROS? We have one that had an invalid ID - the buyer took care of the issue, and we did a second approved DROS. Does the 4473 need to be redone, or should the DROS number just be corrected on the current 4473?

Thanks alot for your help, much appreciated.

CM

EBR Works
03-06-2012, 10:44 AM
See below:

EBR,

Thanks for your reply. I think this is leading me down the path I know we need to go.

Can you confirm for me the following:

1) Buyer Sig/Date from Section A should be the date of the DROS at the beginning of wait period? YES

2) Buyer Sig/Date from Section C should be pickup date AFTER wait period? YES

3) DROS number goes in BOX 21b? YES

4) If a DROS is denied - how to handle the RE-DROS? We have one that had an invalid ID - the buyer took care of the issue, and we did a second approved DROS. Does the 4473 need to be redone, or should the DROS number just be corrected on the current 4473? We do another 4473

Thanks alot for your help, much appreciated.

CM

Colonel Monk
03-06-2012, 10:47 AM
Awesome - thanks a ton!

CM

kemasa
03-06-2012, 11:43 AM
Yes, all of that is correct. You should also not mark the "proceed" until just before you transfer the firearm. The response was that the form is for all locations, so it is not quite right for everywhere.

Yes, you should fill out a new 4473 and keep the old one.

Colonel Monk
03-06-2012, 11:15 PM
Guys, another question:

This came up when I was researching a electronic version of the AD bound book.

What do you use for the "transaction serial number" on the 4473?

I felt the discussion that I read suggested a link between this and the "transcription #" in the bound book.

Thanks,

CM