PDA

View Full Version : Already have one AR stripped lower do I need more?

vintagedude88
03-05-2012, 8:51 PM
I already have one AR stripped lower. Haven't gotten to building it. Lately Turner's has the PSA lower at a great price. If I jump on the deal, I was thinking of getting three to save on DROS. However, I don't have any idea what I am gonna do with three stripped lowers let alone the one I already have. People say "2014 is coming better stock up". But do I need to?

I mostly have AKs (Saiga) I have them in x39, .308, .223, and 12ga. If I were to build an AR I would build it with a varmint upper in a 20in barrel to play at the range. I've thought about 300 blk out and that is another option. So what other ARs do I need after that to build the lowers to?

smog7
03-05-2012, 8:53 PM
what's going to come in 2014?

GMG
03-05-2012, 8:54 PM
It's not a bad idea if you can afford it ! It will give you options for future builds.

Moonshine
03-05-2012, 8:59 PM
You should buy another lower when you're ready to build another gun. Use the money to take a carbine class or to buy ammo to enjoy the rifle you are already building.

I don't see the AWB going away any day soon and the California market is likely more saturated with lowers than other markets are... new AR-15s are being built daily by members of this forum alone. So if there is a panic situation as a result of some new ban there will likely be plentiful numbers of lowers out there.

2014 is going to mean more sales from panic buying. The only reason I would buy more lowers now is to sell them to panic buyers at what will likely be well into the $200 - $300 range when panic buying causes the supply to dry up at stores.

If you ask me the Assault Weapons Ban and other bans failed because they created a panic buy mentality that has actually saturated the market more than if people felt they could buy it any day so they didn't get one in the first place. There's probably alot more AR-15s in California than other states.

sd_shooter
03-05-2012, 9:08 PM
2012 - Obama's second coming (better stock up ammo again.)
2014 - CA Long gun registration (better stock up on lowers for your whole family)

jbush
03-05-2012, 9:26 PM
I'm I not understanding the law that goes into affect in 2014. It simply means all gun will have to be registered. Which translates into DROS fee on every item, more difficulty transfering to relatives. My personal feeling is that this will be challenged in court, but who knows. If you have the money buy more and save the fees. If it bothers you that your lowers will be registered like a handgun, buy more lowers.

Panic buying is difficult to project. Last ban prices went up, but about 15 days before the ban went into effect I got a super deal on an AK, because the dealer was worried he'd get stuck with it and have to ship it out of state. Anyones guess what longgun registration will bring us.

I do try to save fees on longguns and save up to purchase 2 or 3 I want at a time rather then running to the gun store everytime I want something new. 1 is 25 bucks a gun, 2 is only 12.50, 3 is better.

ThemBastards
03-05-2012, 9:33 PM
So how much are those lowers?

Haha NM Google led me right back to CGN and the special price.... Get another lower- you will find a special purpose build for it sooner or later... haha "Evil Obama" is going to take them away soon... haha

JNunez23
03-05-2012, 9:38 PM
Don't waste your $$$, you already have one.

I was on the same boat, then I thought "wow, I'm going to buy this JUST to buy something" lol sick!

Trendkill
03-05-2012, 9:47 PM
You guys really think there will be a long gun reg..??

Moonshine
03-05-2012, 10:39 PM
Here's an interesting question: will 80% builds be subject to the 2014 long gun registration? If not I'd expect there to be a lot more build parties and a whole lot more AKs out there as bending reciever flats is a lot less involved than finishing an 80% AR-15 lower.

sd_shooter
03-06-2012, 6:55 AM

You really think we won't have it?

AlliedArmory
03-06-2012, 7:25 AM
I had the same feeling when I bought my first lower. I ended up buying 2 and put it on the same DROS. Many years later it still sits in the safe. But one day I will build it into a 9mm AR.

BAGunner
03-06-2012, 10:59 AM
You should have at least two AR15 lowers, one with carbine butt, another one with rifle butt.

Speedpower
03-06-2012, 11:06 AM
I already have one AR stripped lower. Haven't gotten to building it. Lately Turner's has the PSA lower at a great price. If I jump on the deal, I was thinking of getting three to save on DROS. However, I don't have any idea what I am gonna do with three stripped lowers let alone the one I already have. People say "2014 is coming better stock up". But do I need to?

I mostly have AKs (Saiga) I have them in x39, .308, .223, and 12ga. If I were to build an AR I would build it with a varmint upper in a 20in barrel to play at the range. I've thought about 300 blk out and that is another option. So what other ARs do I need after that to build the lowers to?

You should by 2 of each in different brands! :43: Go to Riflegear, they have a great selection with everyday low price!

deviljon
03-06-2012, 11:15 AM
Don't think you "need" another stripped lower, but once you build up your first AR there's a good chance you'll want another.. and another.. and another.

I'm working on my 3rd and 4th AR builds at the moment and I have a bad feeling there are still plenty more to go. I need to stay off these damn forums or it will never stop!

SURVIVOR619
03-06-2012, 11:49 AM
2014 - CA Long gun registration (better stock up on lowers for your whole family)

You are a wise man indeed SD SHOOTER...:oji:

MrPlink
03-06-2012, 12:52 PM

oh no!!!! :TFH: :TFH: :TFH:

Im telling you, gun store owners are secretly democrats. They make so much $ $ $ of the FUD that gets spread when one takes office.

we definitely will, well unless it gets overturned prior.
Am I happy about it? No.
Am I terribly worried? No. Its just registration. I know a lot of hardliners and :tfh: will say reg leads to this that and the other, but that is just conjecture (fancy man's FUD) at this point

Capybara
03-06-2012, 2:04 PM
Isn't the 2014 long gun registration already law or is it just proposed? I thought I read in 2nd Amendment forum that it is already law?

Dan

Speedpower
03-06-2012, 2:06 PM
Yes, it is already a law but not until 2014.

ParanoidCivilian
03-06-2012, 2:27 PM
Not trying to thread jack. But do you only pay one dros fee ($25) even if you buy more than one lower at a time?

MrPlink
03-06-2012, 2:45 PM
Yes, one dros for multiple long guns

PhalSe
03-06-2012, 3:20 PM
I don't know if you need any more lowers, but i can tell you a .22 AR is a ton of fun and cheap to shoot. Maybe consider one for that purpose.

HPGunner
03-06-2012, 3:33 PM
I purchased one lower on one DROS for my first build. A couple months later I bought another two. I should have just bought three the first time around.

+1 on Rifle Gear. They have a wide selection of lowers at awesome prices. Including their own Rifle Gear lower which compared to my Spikes and JD lower, it's got a nicer fit and finish.

ThemBastards
03-06-2012, 3:47 PM
I purchased one lower on one DROS for my first build. A couple months later I bought another two. I should have just bought three the first time around.

+1 on Rifle Gear. They have a wide selection of lowers at awesome prices. Including their own Rifle Gear lower which compared to my Spikes and JD lower, it's got a nicer fit and finish.

They are kinds low on inventory right now as far as selection goes... But they do have a pretty sweet looking CalGuns lower available.

smog7
03-06-2012, 4:35 PM
Don't waste your $$$, you already have one.

I was on the same boat, then I thought "wow, I'm going to buy this JUST to buy something" lol sick!

exactly! think rationally.

the second coming of obama???? you nervous f&%$% better not freak out and buy every single round of ammo and drive ammo prices up.

h0use
03-06-2012, 4:38 PM
you can never have to many lowers =)

shooperman
03-06-2012, 4:40 PM
I have two built. Two more stripped, just waiting to be built. And two pistol lowers on the way. I don't think you could ever have to many. Better to have em and not need em. Than to need em and not have em. Hahaha.

stix213
03-06-2012, 6:04 PM
I suggest going and buying like 30 of them. Let us all know if anything happens.

MrPlink
03-06-2012, 7:40 PM
Fwiw I have two, but there is a practical reason, one is a pistol lower

icenix
03-06-2012, 8:10 PM
Okay, wait, so maybe I missed it, but what exactly does the new law of 2014 say?

jink122
03-06-2012, 10:47 PM
Long Arms are going to be under same registration process as a handgun. 80% lower builds FTW.

pdugan6
03-06-2012, 10:52 PM
I bought one the other day just becuase...... I picked it up today and thought to myself,"well now I have to start building it up."this will be my 7th. they are legos for adults.

colossians323
03-07-2012, 5:34 AM
oh no!!!! :TFH: :TFH: :TFH:

Im telling you, gun store owners are secretly democrats. They make so much $ $ $ of the FUD that gets spread when one takes office.

Not sure about he long gun reg, but if you shoot avidly and you don't have at least a couple of years worth of your target/plinking ammo, you will be paying a higher price in the coming months no matter who is elected.

vintagedude88
03-07-2012, 8:53 PM
I need to learn how to read a calender. 2014 is 21 months away.:kest:

mike_the_wino
03-07-2012, 9:00 PM
Go for multiples, parts will find a way of showing up. Normally from a big brown box truck. :D

Carbine, A3/ A2 clone, tack driver/ varminter and that's just .223. If you are thinking other calibers, get at least 5. Helping?

bohoki
03-07-2012, 9:22 PM
why build one when you can have two at twice the price? Only, this one can be kept secret

icenix
03-07-2012, 9:23 PM
Okay, wait, so maybe I missed it, but what exactly does the new law of 2014 say?

Anyone? Someone?

sd_shooter
03-07-2012, 10:59 PM
Anyone? Someone?

See Post #5

BigBamBoo
03-08-2012, 8:23 AM
Really? Top of the 2nd Adm. thread, but here you go: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=399849

IMHO you can never have to many guns,parts,ammo,etc. I have a few stripped lowers, but my goal/plan is to have a dozen or so by 2014 and hopefully by election time. Yep...call me paranoid, but if any of you forgot what happened in 2008 then you will get a BIG reminder if the big O gets re-elected. So stock up now is my advice. Just call around or look online for LPK's,lowers,etc. Already starting to be a run on them.

Rob454
03-08-2012, 10:01 AM
I would invest in more ammo or better yet a reloading set up with supplies, have a few months worth of supplies food water fuel etc rather than more guns.Unless you plan on arming your whole neighborhood your family should already have guns of their own. Guns are great but without ammo they are just expensive clubs. Guns and ammo and reloading supplies are gonna go up in price everyone agrees on that but I would get a reloading set up with supplies ( brass bullers primers powder extra wear parts for the reloader etc to last a long time. I would go as far as getting reloading supplies for calibers you don't have. As long as you don't have a ton of different calibers you can get a simple set up with the required materials, dies etc to reload. I would take a long hard look and possibly unload "weird" calibers in the upcoming rush. The only reason to buy a bunch of guns now is to sell for a profit when the demand goes up. Not that i see anything wrong with that IMO the "gun rush" is gonna happen simply because people are so damn scared of their own shadows these days they are stocking up on everything guns ammo food fuel etc.