PDA

View Full Version : Replacing A2 front sight?

Sheperd80
03-05-2012, 8:43 PM
Hey folks. So I'm planning my first AR build, probably gonna go with a BCM midlength upper assembly which comes with the A2 front sight. I'll probably put a magpul handguard for now but could I eventually get a full length toprail, and front flip up sight with that barrel assembly?

As far as I can tell id just have to change the gas block for a low profile that would fit under a free floating handguard and then add a full length top rail.... Right? I don't like the idea of the gas block with the rail on it, I'd much rather just add a full top rail later so I have more options for optics and iron sight combinations.

I'm new to this stuff and try to research before asking questions but my brains starting to hurt lol, and I just wanna make sure I have some options.

Dhena81
03-05-2012, 9:00 PM
You could just cut the A2 down. You can't really get more solid of a front sight than a fixed A2 the only other front sight that's different than the standard is an HK style. Your not really going to be putting optics on your handguard rails anyways unless your running thermal or NV so there aren't endless options in that department. I think Vltor makes something for this also.

Here's a video for reference

I5rPPyYdFUs

torquefliteterror
03-05-2012, 9:01 PM
yes, you can use an 11" troy handguard or yhm spectre to cover the gasblock. you can chop your a2 down or you can buy a low profile gas block for 25-40bucks.

Sheperd80
03-05-2012, 9:04 PM
OK great thanks.. So part 2 of the question is... If I were so inclined could I remove the rail from my flat top upper and get a full length top rail that spans all the way from back of upper receiver to the front of handguard?

LBDamned
03-05-2012, 9:20 PM
OK great thanks.. So part 2 of the question is... If I were so inclined could I remove the rail from my flat top upper and get a full length top rail that spans all the way from back of upper receiver to the front of handguard?

if you want a full length rail, why are you using Magpul forend? If it's because you dont want quad rails, there are several options to have top rail handguard without rails all around... here's Troy/VTAC Battlerail
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u72/OCG35/Guns/SW%20MP%2015%20Sport/SW%20MP%2015%20Mods/IMG_20111210_220937.jpg

Sheperd80
03-05-2012, 9:26 PM
Well the magpul would be temporary. The I just want to make sure I have the option to change it in the future if I want. That setup looks nice.. Might just start with something like that depending on price.

Thanks alot for your help folks!

Sheperd80
03-05-2012, 9:27 PM
Well the magpul would be temporary. The I just want to make sure I have the option to change it in the future if I want. That setup looks nice.. Might just start with something like that depending on price.

Thanks alot for your help folks!