PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 rifles more popular today than before the ban?

Moonshine
03-05-2012, 6:01 PM
For the first time in a long time I went to go shooting on a local gun range... usually I shoot on public land because I'd rather not have time limitations or have to wait for other folks to walk to targets every 30 minutes when someone new shows up. Anyhow though I did it for convenience.

I hadn't been to this range since the 1990s and notice a major difference right away: almost every person on the 50 yard range had an AR-15! Now back in the 1990s when they were legal, very rarely did I ever see someone show up with an AR-15.

I'm sure they're more popular everywhere in the country now at this point due to TV shows, etc but does anyone else think the California ban gave them a certain "Mystique" that made them even more desirable here?

c good
03-05-2012, 6:18 PM
Probably alot of pent up frustration from not being able to own them for so long. Plus they are just fun to shoot!

Jarhead
03-05-2012, 6:23 PM
Thanks to Californian Ingenuity ................... The Bullet Button

TNP'R
03-05-2012, 6:23 PM
Yep I'd say so, AR-15's are suppose to be the fasting selling sporting rifle in the U.S right now.

TKM
03-05-2012, 6:25 PM
Every trip to the range for the last couple of years has been Real Life CGN.

Would we have gone all EBR wacky if "they" had just left us alone?

That whole Unintended Consequences thing must drive "them" nuts.

BHPFan
03-05-2012, 6:28 PM
For the first time in a long time I went to go shooting on a local gun range... usually I shoot on public land because I'd rather not have time limitations or have to wait for other folks to walk to targets every 30 minutes when someone new shows up. Anyhow though I did it for convenience.

I hadn't been to this range since the 1990s and notice a major difference right away: almost every person on the 50 yard range had an AR-15! Now back in the 1990s when they were legal, very rarely did I ever see someone show up with an AR-15.

I'm sure they're more popular everywhere in the country now at this point due to TV shows, etc but does anyone else think the California ban gave them a certain "Mystique" that made them even more desirable here?

OK... here's my opinion and take it for what it is:

You see more today because a lot more companies are making ARs now than then and most of them are off-list so you can buy a simple AR similar to or even slicker builds than the ones back then plus you set it up either BB or featureless so it is within the legal limits (according to what CA DOJ says)

My 2 cents.

Fjold
03-05-2012, 6:29 PM
Back in the 80's and 90's I would occasionally see an AR15 at the ranges, maybe 1 out of every 10 trips.

In January of 2006 I took my new fixed magazine AR rifle to 5 Dogs Range in Bakersfield, you would have thought I had brought a super model to a Dungeon and Dragons convention.

I think every person on the range came over to see it and there were people calling friends on their cellphones telling them about it. I probably shot 40 rounds in three hours and spent the rest of the time explaining the whole OLL thing to different people.

Now when I go to the range the AR or AK variant rifles are the most common guns there.

supermanuf
03-05-2012, 6:38 PM
I can't help but feel like the Call of Duty and Zombie Apocalpyse fanboys have something to do with it.

zum
03-05-2012, 7:38 PM
I can't help but feel like the Call of Duty and Zombie Apocalypse fanboys have something to do with it.

well most of the "CALL OF DUTY" aren't of age yet... what you are seeing is the SOCOM and DOOM kids at the range

the COD kids will have saiga 12's SCARS and ACR's

ArcherDog
03-05-2012, 7:58 PM
My next purchase with be an AR variant, and I will probably have to partially attribute the purchase to Call of Duty.

Moonshine
03-05-2012, 8:09 PM
well most of the "CALL OF DUTY" aren't of age yet... what you are seeing is the SOCOM and DOOM kids at the range

My observation is that kids in that generation are now growing up during what is possibly the most pro-gun period I've ever experienced in my lifetime. The TV is filled with shows like Sons of Guns and Top Shot where firearms are glorified and games like COD are like a control pad driven commercial for the 2nd amendment.

But yeah... the Bullet Button was extremely contagious and when I walked into River City Gun exchange I bought on stripped lower and bullet button on the spot.

And AR-15s are tons of fun and addictive but WOW is it an expensive addiction too! There's so many accessories and there's always a new one you're saving for. Worse yet, when your old accessories go into the spare parts bin you start dreaming up new rifles that can be built and buy another lower and the process starts all over again!

TreeHugger
03-05-2012, 8:36 PM
Most likely, just like what happened to the music industry or the up tight women trying to boycott Married with Children, it always backfires.

pyromensch
03-05-2012, 9:00 PM
i got my first ar when i was 19, that was when there was pacman, and missle command,

it is now a RAW

drifter2be
03-05-2012, 9:13 PM
I would say I am guilty of being one of those guys that bought his AR because of COD, but in reality, it goes back 7 years when I was lucky enough to shoot a friend's full auto AR-15, until that point the only long guns I had ever shot were a 28" barrel 12 gauge and a Marlin 22lr. It was THE experience that made me want to be a gun owner. It took a few years for me to be financially squared away enough to purchase my first gun, and after a few purchases I finally got an AR. So for me it was a purchase akin to someone buying a car that made them fall in love with cars when they were a kid.

SWMP15
03-05-2012, 10:04 PM
Before the AWB when I would go to the range, I would always be the only one there with an AR. Would get looks and once in awhile a comment or two. I was even told that no one will miss my plastic Mattel rifle, when it is banned. And this was from a local range master! AR's are far more popular now. When I go to the range now it is always almost all AR's. Personally I think this is a good thing, and I am glad to see the growth of the AR platform. And there is a side of me that thinks.....if the idiots that put the AWB into law would not have done this, the growth would not be as significant as it is, and will continue to be. Just my 2 cents.....

Lifeon2whls
03-05-2012, 10:15 PM
I'm putting an AR in jail on Wednesday and it is definitely because of the lifting of the California ban or implementation of. I say so because when I bought my other rifles pre-ban there was nothing "special" to me about the AR other than it was a cool rifle that the military uses. I was buying rifles strictly because I was competing and wanted something accurate and I didn't see the mil-spec rifles on the rack to suit my purpose...and hey if I needed one I could always go buy one, right???

Well then they were banned and I felt like I missed my opportunity to own something cool. When they came off ban I started seeing them in abundance at the gun stores and I've been asking questions. It wasn't until recently that I was serious about buying and figured that should they be banned again I wanted to have mine before they tried outlawing them again.

So yes, my purchases were all done due to the laws trying to keep them out of people's hands. Had they just left well enough alone, I probably still would not own any...but I might have a nice .308 sniper rifle in my closet instead.

Lifeon2whls
03-05-2012, 10:15 PM
I'm putting an AR in jail on Wednesday and it is definitely because of the lifting of the California ban or implementation of. I say so because when I bought my other rifles pre-ban there was nothing "special" to me about the AR other than it was a cool rifle that the military uses. I was buying rifles strictly because I was competing and wanted something accurate and I didn't see the mil-spec rifles on the rack to suit my purpose...and hey if I needed one I could always go buy one, right???

Well then they were banned and I felt like I missed my opportunity to own something cool. When they came off ban I started seeing them in abundance at the gun stores and I've been asking questions. It wasn't until recently that I was serious about buying and figured that should they be banned again I wanted to have mine before they tried outlawing them again.

So yes, my purchases were all done due to the laws trying to keep them out of people's hands. Had they just left well enough alone, I probably still would not own any...but I might have a nice .308 sniper rifle in my closet instead.

Horta
03-05-2012, 10:18 PM
For me it was after Sept. 11, 2001 when it became obvious that scumbags wanted to kill me just because I’m an American. I decided (logically of illogically) that I was going to arm myself. I don’t think that I was alone in this mindset.

An AR has been one of my best acquisitions.

ErikTheRed
03-05-2012, 10:25 PM
I think its a HILARIOUS backfire on the anti-gun left wing lunatics!!! I had to build one too, if for no other reason than to give the big ol' black-rifle bird to the Kalifornia democrats in Sacramento. I may not have otherwise.

Ok, that last part is probably a lie.

jonjonkills101
03-05-2012, 10:39 PM

guilty! haha

always was into guns, played games like doom, socom, counterstrike (and yes, COD) and love war movies. my dad didn't help by owning guns and teaching me how to maintain them. once i got old enough and had the money i started my collection.

i didn't have the luxury of being old enough to get one before the ban, therefore i have whats left of ar15s at least

nick
03-05-2012, 10:50 PM
I'm sure there're multiple reasons for ARs' popularity. In my case, it was precisely because of the ban. I wasn't a big fan of semiauto rifles, and if it wasn't for the ban, I probably wouldn't have discovered how great some of these platforms are. When a bunch of retards told me that they've decided that I shouldn't have these... well, you can figure out the rest.

MrPlink
03-06-2012, 12:36 AM

speak for yourself! Im in my 30's and I play COD!

No Saiga12 (yet) or ACR here, but I do have a SCAR!

But I def think pop culture is playing a big part in it. And so what? Thats a good thing!

I dont have any concrete evidence of what is more popular now than before, but I will say this, gun shows today in California are not even a passing shadow of what they used to be.

I think its a HILARIOUS backfire on the anti-gun left wing lunatics!!! I had to build one too, if for no other reason than to give the big ol' black-rifle bird to the Kalifornia democrats in Sacramento. I may not have otherwise.

Ok, that last part is probably a lie.

this isnt that crazy of an idea.

I have a good friend with an incredibly large firearms collection, but save for a couple of handguns it is all C+R stuff, most WWII era. However, he wants to build an AR pistol, not because he particularly likes them, but he quite defiantly states, "because I can!"

on a related note:
I along with much of my family and friends pretty much all but lost interest in firearms around the time all the Ca laws went south. I pretty much bought into the FUD and thought "everything is illegal now, what is the point?" It wasnt until a few years ago when a buddy of mine who was stationed in so-cal was telling me about his new AR15 and how it was legal because of this thing called a bullet button and OLL's etc etc etc I was floored at the news and jumped back in the fire in the worst way. My father on the other hand is still in a somewhat state of disbelief, and wont leave the house with his pre-ban mags :D

here is more food for thought: If airsoft guns became illegal in California today would those of us that currently dont own one nor have a desire to suddenly wish we did?

Ok Im done now, I swear I gotta get back to work! Stupid calguns..

zum
03-06-2012, 2:57 AM
speak for yourself! Im in my 30's and I play COD!

No Saiga12 (yet) or ACR here, but I do have a SCAR!

i always do "speak for myself" thanks tho.

that said im entering my 30's a current COD player, own a featureless AR and a AR pistol, with plans to purchase a saige 12 and ACR in the near future.

Judging by the voices i hear during online play i dont think the majority of COD players are old enough to be gun owners.

Bulleh
03-06-2012, 3:28 AM
i always do "speak for myself" thanks tho.

that said im entering my 30's a current COD player, own a featureless AR and a AR pistol, with plans to purchase a saige 12 and ACR in the near future.

Judging by the voices i hear during online play i dont think the majority of COD players are old enough to be gun owners.

Lol you must play on xbox. I moved to PC gaming because of that.

Definitely want a scar, but I settled for an AR :D Going to have to wait till I make some big bucks to be able to afford one of those.

The War Wagon
03-06-2012, 3:32 AM
VERY much so!!!

As an owner of a PWA-HBAR back in the early '90's, it was RARE to see folks with them at the range. The flat-top hadn't been invented yet, nor any of the electro-dot sights we all take for granted now. Your CHOICE of barrel length was 20", or... 20". http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/images/icons/icon11.gif The iron sights and grab handle were what you were stuck with, and while they worked fine, 9mm subguns (MP-5, Uzi, et.al.) were considered THE way to go at < 200 yard encounters at the time (if you didn't live in those days, watch a movie from the 1990's where a SWAT/SEAL Team is deployed [Terminator II, Under Siege, et.al.], and MP-5's are ALL you'll see, mirroring the conventional wisdom of the day).

Carbine, and then mid-length gas systems - shorter barrels and electro-optics - flat-tops, rail systems, & aftermarket accessories - now allow the AR15 to be scaled in any NUMBER of directions: from SBR-PDW, to Mk.12 'urban forward observation' rifle, and many varieties in-between!

When I bought my plain jane 20" HBAR in 1991, everyone thought I was a "survivalist nut." :rolleyes: Build a decent 14.5-16" AR nowadays for home defense, and you're called anything from 'tacticool,' to 'mall ninja!' Go figure... :rolleyes:

EVEN if a revolutionary new rifle were introduced THIS day, the AR15 & its many varieties will REMAIN to those who are of shooting age right now, "our rifle;" even as our fathers and grandfathers bought up all the surplus Garands after WWII, as it was "THEIR rifle." I'll be 45 soon - the AR15 will REMAIN the PRIMARY rifle of our generation until the day I die.

zum
03-06-2012, 3:45 AM
Lol you must play on xbox.

GUILTY! :(

you would think the subscription price would weed out the obnoxious 6 year olds, or at the very least the parents would over hear their kids long winded explicited *tirade about how i must be glitching because he shot me "hecka times" as i semtex'd him in the face*:facepalm:

shadowofnight
03-06-2012, 6:10 AM
Basically a centerfire 10/22, same lowend to highend spread ( From factory bare bones to da moon for both firearms ) ...ammo's cheap ( For centerfire .223/5.56 is really cheap ) .

You can even build both from scratch, and still have a reasonable prices to outrageous spread. I think I actually even see more AR's at the range nowadays , over 10/22's....I would say thats pretty popular. :)

garplay
03-06-2012, 6:31 AM
And AR-15s are tons of fun and addictive but WOW is it an expensive addiction too! There's so many accessories and there's always a new one you're saving for. Worse yet, when your old accessories go into the spare parts bin you start dreaming up new rifles that can be built and buy another lower and the process starts all over again!

Which I think creates a feedback loop which the makers and marketers and shops are exploiting, furthering the hype:

You buy a nice bolt-action rifle, what do you do? Put a scope on it and run a couple boxes of ammo through it per trip to the range or take it out in the woods to go perforate Bambi.

You buy an AR pattered rifle, what do you do? Beyond spending twice as much, you put all the different gadgets on it, change out internals that don't really matter, tweak and tweak, and run through .223 by the brick.

So not only do you spend more on the rifle (a rifle that really doesn't cost that much more to manufacture, certainly not to the price difference.), but you spend a lot more on 'upgrades' (which don't cost much to manufacture) and ammunition.

ARs are profit centers, bigtime.

mixicus
03-06-2012, 6:49 AM
War Wagon has spot-on input.

In the 80's in CA, you had quit a few choices for semi-auto's. So there was a diversity of that market segment. HK's, AK's, SKS and M1A's were likely more popular in a given segment. For a long time, AR's were limited in the offerings by Colt and that was LIMITED. Olympic and Bushmaster showed up at some point but Colt was king. Heavy bullets and match accuracy hadn't made it to the AR, that was ruled by M1's or more commonly M1A Springfields firing a 168 gr HPBT. AR's weren't in every police car until post-North Hollywood (1992) and the goto sexy weapon was the MP-5 or UZI.

Now the alternatives are harder to come by in CA. Pricing has leveled out (no more $100 SKS with $100 cases of 7.62x39). The AR platform has evolved and can perform at standard for most if not all the market segments. There are multiple manufacturers and a catalog of after-market suppliers for customization on your kitchen table. All leading to the increase in popularity of the AR. Plus there is a certain cache to owning something that is so vehemently despised by a vocal segment of society.

peter95
03-06-2012, 6:52 AM
Maybe, we should just think that the sport is just getting more popular???

Hoop
03-06-2012, 7:18 AM
Being allowed to have them after a drought of several years is one reason. Another is the aftermarket support that wasn't available in 1990.

hnoppenberger
03-19-2012, 2:47 PM
Its interesting if you ever get the chance to go to shot show, and you get to realize what our country is all about. We are obsessed with weapons and war. Its in our blood. All i wanted when I was 5 years old was guns, I'd get taken to toys r us and planned my arsenal of nerf equipment, or super soakers, then laser tag, it all depended on the theatre of intended combat. and it only got better from there. Pansy children growing up in europe- what do you think they play with? Thank God, lest we be invaded and conquered.

Capybara
03-19-2012, 5:55 PM
I am 49. I hate video games so I definitely didn't become an AR owner because of them. When I was a kid, the only gun my parents would let me have was a BB gun, which I had a lot of fun with. But when it came to real guns, my parents were opposed to them, even though I grew up on a ranch.

When I turned 18, I bought my first single shot 20ga. at Kmart. Cash and carry, that was too cool. Went rabbit hunting a few times, shot up some targets but even then, in the 1980s, it was tough to find a local place to really shoot. That slowly evolved into trap shooting with my father in law, which I love to do.

I wasn't really into the discipline rifle shooting takes so I never owned an AR type rifle. Shotgunning and shooting clays seems to be more interesting to me than just shooting at a stationary target. My son has gotten me back into shooting rifles though, I bought him a 10/22 and then decided that if he has a rifle, I need one too, we can both share his 10/22 and shoot at the same time.

Here it is three months later and I have the EBR disease bad. I bought a Windham SRC, I am having an AR pistol built and I just bought three stripped lowers today. The way I am looking at it is similar to many of you, I look at owning these types of weapons as a freedom, thank God I can, so I will. For the same reason, I bought an Uzi, I have wanted one since I was a kid. I don't need an Uzi but the powers that be in Sacramento don't think I am responsible enough to own an AR, AK or an Uzi so to hell with them. For the same reason, I will probably end up with an AOW, even though I doubt I will shoot it very often.

Shooting is fun, but gun ownership is important, owning them is our constitutional right and woe to any idiots in Sacramento that think we will just roll over and sigh. I think that Sacramento and the anti-gunners have caused a HUGE run on ARs and it is great. That is the same thing I say about all of the gun programs on TV. While I think that the Red Jacket crew are bunch of bad Southern stereotypes straight out of central casting, I am glad that it seems that our gun culture in California is growing because at least some of those viewers are registered voters so when the Boxers, Feinsteins, Browns and Pelosis of the world try to make it just a little bit harder on us, maybe those votes are our edge.

I own an AR, AR pistol, an Uzi, soon, three AR stripped lowers and perhaps an AOW exactly BECAUSE I live in California and it is my right to own and shoot them. Gotta add a 1919 to that list too someday. The more the anti-gunners want to take away our rights, the more we are going to buy, stockpile and strategize how best to defeat their arbitrary and capricious "rules" that threaten our rights and freedom. To whoever thought up the BB, featureless rifles, SSE, the Franklin XO-26, the Ultimate Bullet Button and AOW/NFA trusts...Thank you all, keep up the good work.

joelberg
03-19-2012, 6:19 PM
Basically a centerfire 10/22, same lowend to highend spread ( From factory bare bones to da moon for both firearms ) ...ammo's cheap ( For centerfire .223/5.56 is really cheap ) .

You can even build both from scratch, and still have a reasonable prices to outrageous spread. I think I actually even see more AR's at the range nowadays , over 10/22's....I would say thats pretty popular. :)

I recently went to an outdoor range near me and counted 7 AR's, an AK, a VEPR in 7.62x54R and only ONE traditional bolt action hunting rifle.

10 years ago I might have seen 1 AR at the range, and several traditional rifles.

jbush
03-20-2012, 3:00 AM
Some interesting thought on here. About 12 or 14 years ago I got out of shooting because of other interests. Hadn't opened the gun safe in years. Then about 2 years ago, while on disability I would drive within 10 miles of a range on my way home from treatments, so I started target shooting to pass the afternoon. I was suprise how much the sport had changed. Especially accuracy in the newer firearms. Back in the days most people shot 25 and 50 yds. Now I find myself shooting 50 and 100 on a regular basis. Ars back then were not known for accuracy and were a military gun and you just didn't see many at the range because thay were expensive for a not so accurate rifle.

I still wouldn't own an AR except I was looking for a 223 target rifle, good out to 300 yds. Some guys at work started talking to me about how their ARs can do that. After looking into the versitility or the AR platform I decided that would be the way to go.

Alot has changed in the rifles of today verus those of the 90s.

yuccales
03-20-2012, 5:13 AM
"The more the anti-gunners want to take away our rights, the more we are going to buy, stockpile and strategize how best to defeat their arbitrary and capricious "rules" that threaten our rights and freedom. To whoever thought up the BB, featureless rifles, SSE, the Franklin XO-26, the Ultimate Bullet Button and AOW/NFA trusts...Thank you all, keep up the good work."

Capybara,
You got that right!

S470FM
03-20-2012, 6:25 AM
I'm a COD fanboy and the only reason I have an SGL 33 and LWRC M6A3 is because of videogames. everything I know about guns (and I mean everything) is from video games. next on the wishlist is a mini gun!!!

bob7122
03-20-2012, 7:23 AM
imo in californistan if it is not allowed by our great gov't or if there is a hassle on purchasing them, then ppl will want them. if you discourage a behaviour and people don't have an idea on what it is like then they go out and try it out.

bob7122
03-20-2012, 7:24 AM
the guns that i buy are the ones i see in COD and BF3.. but i also buy the one in movies :43: