PDA

View Full Version : concealed carry in a locked case?

ilikerugers
03-05-2012, 5:41 PM
I do not have a CCW. Can I carry, concealed on my person, an unloaded revolver in a locked case?

I like to hike around the Sierras. Sometimes, I might stop in a store or cross a road. Sometimes I ride a little dual-sport motorcycle on the highway and then go off-road for a deep hike. I can't do any of those things with a loaded revolver strapped on my hip in a visible holster.

An unloaded SP101 zipped up in a canvas case fits nicely in an interior jacket pocket. With an easily opened lock and shells in my other pocket, I could arm myself within 30 seconds. While not ideal, it would sure provide more comfort than nothing.

Librarian
03-05-2012, 7:00 PM
I do not have a CCW. Can I carry, concealed on my person, an unloaded revolver in a locked case?

I like to hike around the Sierras. Sometimes, I might stop in a store or cross a road. Sometimes I ride a little dual-sport motorcycle on the highway and then go off-road for a deep hike. I can't do any of those things with a loaded revolver strapped on my hip in a visible holster.

An unloaded SP101 zipped up in a canvas case fits nicely in an interior jacket pocket. With an easily opened lock and shells in my other pocket, I could arm myself within 30 seconds. While not ideal, it would sure provide more comfort than nothing.

What you describe is called Locked Unloaded Concealed Carry - LUCC.

It used to be slightly useful, in that one could theoretically have a handgun in that condition any place where on could open carry; that is, any place not in a school zone and not where firearms are prohibited.

It might still be useful that way; the idea has just left me, personally, uncomfortable.

See Mudcamper's sticky on Firearms in Forests and Parks (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186457).

ilikerugers
03-05-2012, 8:56 PM
Thank you, Librarian, for the reference.

This thread directly addresses the issue:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=163061

I had no idea I was bringing up such a quagmire. Oye vey.

Falstaff
03-05-2012, 10:49 PM
LUCC is the ONLYway you can carry through a school zone- I'm not sure why Librarian seems to make some sort of distinction between me driving to the range on sunday LUCCing 5 handguns and 2-3 rifles and you LUCCing on your dualsport.

As an alternative; you could open carry an unloaded rifle with a loaded magazine also on your person (not inserted in rifle)... however, exercising your 2nd amendment rights to that extent is frowned on here. (unless you own a 4000000 acre ranch in a box canyon, then it's OK)

Librarian
03-05-2012, 10:58 PM
LUCC is the ONLYway you can carry through a school zone- I'm not sure why Librarian seems to make some sort of distinction between me driving to the range on sunday LUCCing 5 handguns and 2-3 rifles and you LUCCing on your dualsport.

It was the getting off and hiking part; LUCC is the standard way to transport in a vehicle.