PDA

View Full Version : Can you USE a hi-cap in a 22 gun?

Bukujutsu
03-05-2012, 4:48 PM
I know you can use an AR15 with evil features without a bullet button if it has a .22 conversion kit in it and that hi-cap mags aren't illegal to possess.

But can you use a hi-cap 22lr mag in it?

After reading about this, it left me thoroughly confused about this specific issue.

uxo2
03-05-2012, 4:50 PM
IIRC..

Only if you owned said Hi-caps before the ban
and for that gun...

10/22.....Ciener AR .22lr conversions...

curtisfong
03-05-2012, 4:56 PM
IIRC..

and for that gun...

Incorrect. You can use any mag in a rimfire. If you acquired the mag illegally, whether or not you use it is irrelevant; you broke the law when you acquired it.

rromeo
03-05-2012, 5:08 PM
Yes it is legal for you to USE it.

jwkincal
03-05-2012, 5:11 PM
Incorrect. You can use any mag in a rimfire. If you acquired the mag illegally, whether or not you use it is irrelevant; you broke the law when you acquired it.

What Curtis is talking about here is that the Assault Weapons law specifically applies only to centerfire rifles, as such the constraint of larger-than-ten-round magazines permanently affixed (i.e. bullet-buttoned) to said rimfire rifle(s) WOULD NOT constitute a banned AW under the terms of that law.

However, the separate large-capacity magazine law says that ANY ammunition-feeding device with a capacity larger than 10 rounds is illegal to sell, transfer, manufacture or import after 1Jan2000 so if you didn't have it prior to that date your possession of same would essentially be evidence of your having committed (or colluded in) one of the crimes as indicated.

Bottom line is, there is nothing you could do from a CONFIGURATION standpoint with such a rifle that would make it an AW under the law.

IANAL, YMMV...

diginit
03-05-2012, 9:12 PM
In short.... If you owned the Hi cap mags before the ban in 2001. You can use them legally. In any weapon no matter what the caliber unless it is an AW defined by law. A 22 is excempt to AW status. It is a rimire, Not a center fire. and can have all the "EVIL" features
The proof is the burden of the state. They can prove nothing unless you admit guilt.... Just shut up... But don't kiss me...

Munk
03-05-2012, 9:15 PM
If you couldn't, then I'd have a problem every time I take my 10/22 with a flash suppressor on it out with my old 25 and 50 round mags.

It's not an AW.

The mags are legally acquired (as in, owned before ban).

There's no confusion, just do it.

stix213
03-06-2012, 11:17 AM
If you possess large-capacity .22lr mags there is no restriction on their use except for in a fixed magazine semi-auto pistol.

How you acquired them would be a separate area of law.

dfletcher
03-06-2012, 11:34 AM
What Curtis is talking about here is that the Assault Weapons law specifically applies only to centerfire rifles, as such the constraint of larger-than-ten-round magazines permanently affixed (i.e. bullet-buttoned) to said rimfire rifle(s) WOULD NOT constitute a banned AW under the terms of that law.

However, the separate large-capacity magazine law says that ANY ammunition-feeding device with a capacity larger than 10 rounds is illegal to sell, transfer, manufacture or import after 1Jan2000 so if you didn't have it prior to that date your possession of same would essentially be evidence of your having committed (or colluded in) one of the crimes as indicated.

Bottom line is, there is nothing you could do from a CONFIGURATION standpoint with such a rifle that would make it an AW under the law.

IANAL, YMMV...

That is my understanding of the question and law. I suspect not wanting to remove the BB when going to rimfire is the cause of the question. I sidestepped the matter, figured for the low cost I'd go with a dedicated rimfire lower.

uxo2
03-06-2012, 11:44 AM

There is a reason I used 10/22 and ciener .22lr conversions for AR
mags in HiCaps for as an example.

They were around before the ban.
I am sure there are others...But those are the most popular.

You can buy rebuild kits to make legal Blocked 10rnders or repair
your pre-ban hiCaps.

Unlike HiCap mags for a S&W 15/22 as an example...

And NO BB needed for a rimfire....

CHS
03-06-2012, 12:14 PM
The ONLY time it is illegal to actually USE a large-capacity magazine is when it is being used in a fixed-magazine firearm, that is not a shotgun.

If your rifle doesn't have a bullet button, it doesn't matter if it's rimfire or not, you can use a large-capacity magazine legally in it all day long.

For example: Mini-14 with 30rd mags = legal

For the record, I only use 27rd mags in my AR-22 :)

E Pluribus Unum
03-06-2012, 12:19 PM
IIRC..

and for that gun...

What he said.

In short.... If you owned the Hi cap mags before the ban in 2001. You can use them legally. In any weapon no matter what the caliber unless it is an AW defined by law. A 22 is excempt to AW status. It is a rimire, Not a center fire. and can have all the "EVIL" features
The proof is the burden of the state. They can prove nothing unless you admit guilt.... Just shut up... But don't kiss me...

Isn't that a BS milkshake....

Use is not prohibited and is always legal on non-fixed magazine builds, and high capacity magazines are NOT an "Evil feature" and have nothing to do with "Assault Weapon" status.

Decoligny
03-06-2012, 12:33 PM
The ONLY time it is illegal to actually USE a large-capacity magazine is when it is being used in a fixed-magazine CENTER-FIRE firearm, that is not a shotgun.

If your rifle doesn't have a bullet button, it doesn't matter if it's rimfire or not, you can use a large-capacity magazine legally in it all day long.

For example: Mini-14 with 30rd mags = legal

For the record, I only use 27rd mags in my AR-22 :)

Fixed that for ya!

stix213
03-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Fixed that for ya!

Not exactly, its illegal for a large cap rimfire mag in a fixed mag semi-auto handgun too.

CHS
03-06-2012, 2:28 PM
Fixed that for ya!

Not exactly, its illegal for a large cap rimfire mag in a fixed mag semi-auto handgun too.

What Stix said :)