PDA

View Full Version : Advantage of an AR?

Lapietra
03-05-2012, 3:24 PM
What are the advantages of an AR platform over having a featureless rifle like a Mini 14?

To date I have stayed away from buying or building an AR since I have two mini 14's. But I see all the neat modular advancements and attachments the AR's have and keep wanting to buy or build one.

The thing I keep getting hung up on is my first mini I purchased in 1993 and it came with standard cap mags (20 and 30 rd). The second I got last year and with the new thicker barrel and I am accurate with it out to 150 yds or so. Beyond those distances I typically go with a 30-30 or scoped 30-06.

So what am I missing? I figure if I go with an AR I give up magazine capacity and have to have the bullet button thingy. Is there a clear advantage to AR's that I am missing and should be considering?

killathrilla
03-05-2012, 3:28 PM

Moonshine
03-05-2012, 3:33 PM
If you live close to Nevada, Arizona, or Oregon and frequently shoot in BLM land and competitions out of state there's definitely advantages. However if I didn't live close to Nevada or spend a lot of time with family there who are also gun enthusiasts, I'd probably just have a mini 14 also.

I guess I the zombie apocalypse ever does come though you'll wish you had the AR-15 LOL

NHP1127
03-05-2012, 3:37 PM
OK, I'll play...

AR is much more accurate, has modular and multi round capabilities, cheaper parts, more parts availablity, better iron sights, better scope and accessory mounting options, better barrel for high rates of fire (assuming Colt or comparible AR) and prices have been coming down on AR's... and prices have increased on a Minis. Not a big price difference. Bullet button? Who cares, put a Radlock on it.

bomb_on_bus
03-05-2012, 3:42 PM
Well depending on what you put into it you could have a gun that shoots better than the minis but sans ammo capacity unless you go featureless.

I dunno to each their own in the end I guess. I wouldn't say there is a die hard reason for you to get one since you already have 2 minis. For me it was availibility of parts, wanting one in the first place, options and accessories. The AR has more things you could buy for it than you could find for barbies dream house. There is a reason why its been long considered the barbie for guys LOL.

NorCalK9.com
03-05-2012, 3:46 PM
Youre not missing anything special lol. Now an ak lol just kidding. Keep the minis

MrPlink
03-05-2012, 4:16 PM
Choice of parts and modularity.

Baconator
03-05-2012, 4:20 PM
Like legos. You can set it up how you want it, lots of customization. Only downside is the effing bullet button.

icenix
03-05-2012, 4:42 PM
I love AR's because 1) I love the way they look, 2) You can change so much on them that if you get bored, you can completely change the look without buying a whole new gun, 3) Not too expensive to shoot, 4) parts are readily available and not hard to find, 5) easy to clean, fix, etc., 6) I always wanted one

Madpyro
03-05-2012, 4:43 PM
If you can afford it, why not both? I love my mini and my ar's.

Lapietra
03-05-2012, 5:18 PM
Ok so thus far the consensus is the advantage is parts availability and customization. Only one response on accuracy.

Does anyone with an AR find having a pistol grip or fore-end grips to make the firearm easier to steady or aim?

707electrician
03-05-2012, 6:01 PM
AR is much more accurate

BHPFan
03-05-2012, 6:14 PM
+1.
You can trick up an AR to any flavor you like.

Like legos. You can set it up how you want it, lots of customization. Only downside is the effing bullet button.
Look for a BB that you can easily change to mag release when out of state (NV or AZ) and change back to BB when returning home.

I love AR's because 1) I love the way they look, 2) You can change so much on them that if you get bored, you can completely change the look without buying a whole new gun, 3) Not too expensive to shoot, and more bang for your buck over a .22 which I also have, and 4) parts are readily available and not hard to find, 5) easy to clean, fix, etc., 6) I always wanted one
1) +1
2) +1.
3) I wouldn't know about that. .22LR will always be cheaper to shoot than .223/5.56
4) +1
5) +1 if you know what you're doing. I've seen some doofuses who can't clean properly.
6) Being a former HK 9x series fanboy and a big FAL fan, I love the AR's for what? their versatility for the money. I cannot think of another weapon system that is very affordable with a lot of versatility and modularity.

If you can afford it, why not both? I love my mini and my ar's.
Bingo. Although I don't have a mini and I am not interested in getting one, I have a lot of respect for it and feel it's a pretty good rifle.

icenix
03-05-2012, 6:24 PM
1) +1
2) +1.
3) I wouldn't know about that. .22LR will always be cheaper to shoot than .223/5.56
4) +1
5) +1 if you know what you're doing. I've seen some doofuses who can't clean properly.
6) Being a former HK 9x series fanboy and a big FAL fan, I love the AR's for what? their versatility for the money. I cannot think of another weapon system that is very affordable with a lot of versatility and modularity.

Yeah, I just got sidetracked and mis-typed what I was trying to say on #3, lol, so I just fixed it and made it simpler.

Jarhead
03-05-2012, 6:26 PM
No comparison, AR Hands Down .....................

icenix
03-05-2012, 6:26 PM
Ok so thus far the consensus is the advantage is parts availability and customization. Only one response on accuracy.

Does anyone with an AR find having a pistol grip or fore-end grips to make the firearm easier to steady or aim?

They can be very accurate. But may depend on what setup you go with and how good of a shot you are as well.

TNP'R
03-05-2012, 6:27 PM

+1 This, you can spend A LOT of money on AR-15's you can pretty much change everything about the rifle to you're liking. So many accessories,different chamber's in upper receivers and so on.

Lapietra
03-05-2012, 7:03 PM
How are AR's when it comes to reliability? Three weeks ago my son and I went shooting on company property and shot a good 500 rounds of 223 reloads without a problem. Are AR's similar?

Because I have never owned an auto loading centerfire gun other than the mini 14 which has an open top rotating bolt action I would like to know if the side ejection of the AR is problematic in any way?

Also I am left handed, would that present a problem?

MrPlink
03-05-2012, 7:50 PM
How are AR's when it comes to reliability?

a quality rifle that is properly maintained shouldnt have many issues for us civie shooters

otherwise...

IBTL :D

sd_shooter
03-05-2012, 8:03 PM
OK, I'll play...

AR is much more accurate, has modular and multi round capabilities, cheaper parts, more parts availablity, better iron sights, better scope and accessory mounting options, better barrel for high rates of fire (assuming Colt or comparible AR) and prices have been coming down on AR's... and prices have increased on a Minis. Not a big price difference. Bullet button? Who cares, put a Radlock on it.

Cheaper parts? Depends.

The average calguns AR owner spends $1000-2000 on rifle+optics. That's not to say you can't get cheap AR parts, but few people actually do.