PDA

View Full Version : Home based FFL

JayTee_IsMe
03-05-2012, 2:50 PM
Friend emailed his city zoning and got this back in response.

"The criteria basically prohibit sales at the residence, with no stock in trade kept on premises.* You would need to have an off-site location for your stock, such as a self storage unit, a bank safety deposit box, or a commercial location.* Sales can occur only at gun shows, not in the residence.* That would include no mail order or internet sales."

Are you required to have a minimum amount of sales to get 01 FFL? He mainly wants to help people out with transfers, receiving shipments, and HSC's. Legit or does he NEED to make sales for his FFL to get approved?

Sorry is this is an uneducated question, but you CG folks are pretty knowledgeable. Thanks!

lockandloadllc
03-05-2012, 4:28 PM
It sounds more like a city ordinance. There really isn't a minimum for sales or a minimum to keep stock on hand. Thats the fun part with an FFL. You need city,sometimes county, state, and federal approval.

Rudolf the Red
03-05-2012, 6:53 PM
Sounds like the city is restricting SALES not transfers. If your friend sticks to only xfers and HSC, he should be fine. Does he have an exemption to the requirements of the HSC Instructor card? If not, he will need the class and it's kind of rare. Read: Nonexistent. Without a HSC Instructor card, no handgun transfers.

JayTee_IsMe
03-05-2012, 7:22 PM
Yeah we know a HSC instructor in the Bay Area and I tried but he said I need FFL for HSC instructor class. But we didn't know if the ATF requires you sell handguns? Say he acquires 3 and never sells them but uses his FFL for xsfers he is good to go? We are tired of people getting raped paying $75 receiving fee + $35 DROS + $$$ tax making that cheap budsgunshop handgun cost well over gunship prices. (I got lucky and found a FFL to receive for $30)

JayTee_IsMe
03-05-2012, 7:25 PM
Also how to inspections work in your home? Do they look around your house or just stay in one room and chat with you? Do children in the house affect anything, even if he needs to store off site?

Rudolf the Red
03-05-2012, 7:43 PM
My business is in my garage. No reason to go inside.

ATF certainly does not require you to sell handguns, but you will want to.

lockandloadllc
03-06-2012, 4:34 AM
Also how to inspections work in your home? Do they look around your house or just stay in one room and chat with you? Do children in the house affect anything, even if he needs to store off site?

They will inspect whatever room you deem to be your "office" or storefront.