PDA

View Full Version : Range Report: vz58 and a few accessories

BayouBullets
03-05-2012, 2:44 PM
I just sighted in my vz 58 ( a cheaper Century vz2008) at 25 yards from a prop that was not entirely stable but held the weight up. My old eyes can't see a precison target much past 50 with irons, hence the short initial sight-in.
1. Sights were dead on from six o'clock sight picture with horizontal line on target visible. No adjustment made. fired 1 careful shot (literally centered the crossed lines), 5 shots at medium speed to warm the barrel a little, and two more careful shots.
Results: The 3 careful shots clover-leafed and were covered by the cap from an sks cleaning kit tube. The 5 faster shots fit inside a 3 1/2" circle.
I then took 7 rapid shots to get a feel for it. I seem to need a slightly longer stock. (and some strontium doped paint on the front sight,; God I'm going blind) I'm pulling about 3-4 inches low, but the group was within 7-8 inches.
Dropped back to 50 yards for two more shots from a knee. First shot was close enough to the bull I couldn't tell if it was a ballistic difference or me. I pulled the second shot and it went wide 3 inches and high about 1 ". Definitely more accurate than I am with iron sights.
Accessories. I purchased the full plastic upgrade from zahal. Installed the front rails and the foregrip before this range session. buffer tube arrived damaged, however, so I shot from the old crappy plasticized wood stock. Sent zahal a request for a return authorization, they e-mailed me back asking me to send a picture of the damage today. I sent them three. We'll see how long it takes.
Note: I can't recommend the top rail. It sits canted enough that it almost obstructs my sight picture. I would not use it for an optic. I think the left side rail or the bottom rail will be fine for a laser, but the top and right rail are useless as they are pointed too far to the right of bore axis. Is this zahal or my weapon? Don't know.

NorCalK9.com
03-05-2012, 3:56 PM
Pics? How much did it cost?

1forall
03-05-2012, 7:13 PM
I thought that the vz2008 was cheaper...anyhow, enjoy it. I love my CzechPoint VZ58.

zfields
03-05-2012, 10:29 PM
Awesome to hear. I keep seeing these cheap VZ guns from century, and its getting hard to resist. I wonder if there is any way to modify them to take standard AK pattern mags.

Sturnovik
03-06-2012, 9:31 AM
Looks neat!

BayouBullets
03-07-2012, 8:03 PM
No, there is NO WAY to make it take AK mags that wouldn't ruin this superb weapon. It is internally COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. Not a single shared part. Think Stw 44 rather than AK47 if you're looking for the gun that inspired it.
BTW I forgot to mention... I switched the slant brake it came with for a night brake from bonesteel arms.
Pics? I haven't gotten that net savvy yet. Don't have a digital camera anyway. I suppose I'll figure out how to use my phone for it sooner or later. I alreay know how to send from phone to an e-mail, so it can't be that hard.
Update on Zahal. They are just sending me another buffer tube rather than go through return shipping. So I will hopefully have a new stock installed in about 2 weeks.

BayouBullets
03-07-2012, 8:10 PM
OOPs, I forgot to answer cost. It was about 500 after shipping and a $25 transfer fee. Total bill on the upgrades was about $300 after also counting a pouch with 4 extra mags from AIM surplus. btw I was very pleased (surprised) with condition on the pouch and the mags.

BayouBullets
04-02-2012, 6:13 PM
Update. Yesterday was 25 days from Zahal messaging that they would send a new tube. I checked in because I hadn't received yet. They had not sent it. Said they were sorry for the delay.

Quickdraw Mcgraw
04-03-2012, 9:29 AM
Nice writup an nice gun I've seen one in person, but never shot one. How is the recoil compared to an ak just curious since the one I felt was pretty heavy so I'm thinking recoil might be pretty light.

Zartan
04-03-2012, 9:38 AM
Range Report and no pics? :90:

BayouBullets
04-06-2012, 8:48 AM
Already addressed my Pics problem. I'll try to shoot it again this weekend and do the cell phone thing. I'll even take a good solid rest out and do it the right way. How about that?
Recoil with the night brake is VERY light. I can't tell the difference from a solid stocked .223 firing the heavier "penetrator" rounds. Had a hunting buddy try it. He can't tell the difference either. We're both old farts used to high-powered bolt-actions, so take our opinions for what they're worth bearing in mind we're not recoil sensitive. I can say with certainty that it has distinctly less felt recoil than a single-shot, heavy-barreled .243 I have set up for my daughters.

BayouBullets
04-17-2012, 7:21 PM
Stormed out last weekend. Have to try again. I DID finally get the replacement tube from zahal. It seems to be in perfect condition. Already mounted it. Now i just need to get weather for shooting on the weekend and figure out how to put up a pic.

BayouBullets
04-21-2012, 4:05 PM
OK. Shot again today. I've noticed that the vz loses a little bit of accuracy as it gets full of powder residue and copper fouling. I haven't cleaned it since I got it out and prepped it new. After the first 50 rounds, the groups started to widen out to about 3 then 4 MOA. The Fiocchi fmj seems to be leaving significant copper fouling. That may be due to the barrel not being broken in yet or not. I don't know.
I am definitely not tech competent enough to put up a pic. This is defintely NOT like sending an e-mail attachment. Sorry folks.

arsilva32
04-21-2012, 7:03 PM
:useless:

BayouBullets
02-18-2013, 9:24 PM
I felt a real "ole-Timers" moment today. Was running my vz58 to sight in a laser for hog hunting. Put the safety on an when I tried to fire again, nothing. Finally realized that I had accidentally tabbed the safety off to the Full Auto position. So the semi-auto disconnector was completely disengaged. Trigger would pull, but no contact with the sear. LOL!!