PDA

View Full Version : Gura: Force of Nature

Lex Arma
03-05-2012, 12:53 PM
I have the honor of being co-counsel with Alan Gura on a couple of cases here in California. Today we received notification of favorable outcomes in two cases in other states. One in which he played the crucial role of lead counsel (the Maryland Carry case) and another in which he appeared as amicus counsel (the Colorado Campus Carry case).

His victories are now starting to transcend great legal work and are treading into the realm of great art. Michelangelo's David and Pieta would have been enough, but the Sistine Chapel too?

Or if you prefer sports analogies: He isn't just on his way to winning the Triple Crown, he looks ready to repeat Secretariat's performance in the Belmont in 1973. Not only destroying the only other good horse in the country brave enough to enter the race (Sham), but setting a track record while doing it.

Or if you prefer military analogies, imagine if the 101st had not just broken out of Bastogne on their own (without Patton's help), but had gone on to crush the German counter-offensive (the Bulge) single-handedly.

Ladies and Gentlemen, we are witnessing a legal force of nature that comes along only once in a generation. I am a happy witness to this man's work and I am a grateful beneficiary of his talent.

03-05-2012, 1:03 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, we are witnessing a legal force of nature that comes along only once in a generation.

Thankfully he's on our side. :43:

Helpful_Cub
03-05-2012, 1:04 PM
Another victory for the team!

odysseus
03-05-2012, 1:04 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, we are witnessing a legal force of nature that comes along only once in a generation. I am a happy witness to this man's work and I am a grateful beneficiary of his talent.

This is outstanding!

CC Gunsmithing
03-05-2012, 1:06 PM
:jump::thumbsup: Y'all ROCK!!!

spgripside
03-05-2012, 1:07 PM
Congrats and a huge thanks to Alan, and you too Don. Taking the fight to a whole nutha level. Keep it up.

Monte
03-05-2012, 1:08 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/428175_402694639744137_268038566543079_1714869_729 42821_n.jpg

bwiese
03-05-2012, 1:18 PM
Things are going well enough now that I must implore all the "Good gun lawyers" (Alan, along with our CA guys Don (you), Jason, Chuck, Bruce...) plus some others nationwide to use care, not fly on the same planes at the same time.

I'd also hope Clarence Thomas and Nino Scalia are eating their veggies and exercising.

Stonewalker
03-05-2012, 1:31 PM
Things are going well enough now that I must implore all the "Good gun lawyers" (Alan, along with our CA guys Don (you), Jason, Chuck, Bruce...) plus some others nationwide to use care, not fly on the same planes at the same time.

I'd also hope Clarence Thomas and Nino Scalia are eating their veggies and exercising.

Just to be safe, don't flip any damn coins to determine modes of travel at all!

ETA: At my company we used to joke that if this person or that person got hit by a bus, it would be the day [our company] died, and it was very true. We got out of that danger zone and are able to cautiously go after new products/markets now. Gun rights seems to be in that "don't get hit by a bus" stage right now.

BigDogatPlay
03-05-2012, 1:37 PM

+1000... and I am very much looking forward to seeing Mr. Kilmer work in person at the next hearing in the Nordyke saga as well.

A-J
03-05-2012, 1:47 PM

You beat me to it!! It's a question of time as to how long the other side's rhetoric can continue to win the day. With Gura on our team, that success will come that much sooner!

CrackedShot
03-05-2012, 1:55 PM
Don,
You are a humble man........not something you see often in the Legal profession. You sir are to be commended as well for your unflagging diligence, desire and passion for the 2A cause. Your work is equally instrumental in building the momentum that has become the 2A steamroller reasserting the core right that has for so long been marginalized at the hands of government functionaries.

Best on your next battle in the long war.

NotEnufGarage
03-05-2012, 2:14 PM

Just to be safe, don't flip any damn coins to determine modes of travel at all!

ETA: At my company we used to joke that if this person or that person got hit by a bus, it would be the day [our company] died, and it was very true. We got out of that danger zone and are able to cautiously go after new products/markets now. Gun rights seems to be in that "don't get hit by a bus" stage right now.

Add to that list "Don't take walks alone in your neighborhood late at night".

Breitbart found out about that one the hard way..

ojisan
03-05-2012, 2:19 PM
:gura:

This thread would not be complete without this smilie.
Thanks to all of you for all that you do!
:notworthy:

curtisfong
03-05-2012, 2:20 PM
Not to speak ill of the dead, but Breitbart is no Gura

resident-shooter
03-05-2012, 2:29 PM
Mad props bro

Wherryj
03-05-2012, 2:41 PM
I have the honor of being co-counsel with Alan Gura on a couple of cases here in California. Today we received notification of favorable outcomes in two cases in other states. One in which he played the crucial role of lead counsel (the Maryland Carry case) and another in which he appeared as amicus counsel (the Colorado Campus Carry case).

His victories are now starting to transcend great legal work and are treading into the realm of great art. Michelangelo's David and Pieta would have been enough, but the Sistine Chapel too?

Or if you prefer sports analogies: He isn't just on his way to winning the Triple Crown, he looks ready to repeat Secretariat's performance in the Belmont in 1973. Not only destroying the only other good horse in the country brave enough to enter the race (Sham), but setting a track record while doing it.

Or if you prefer military analogies, imagine if the 101st had not just broken out of Bastogne on their own (without Patton's help), but had gone on to crush the German counter-offensive (the Bulge) single-handedly.

The better sports analogy might be that he's becoming Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretsky and Babe Ruth all in one. :)

Alas, attornies such as Mr. Kilmer are "only" two of the above. ;)

hoffmang
03-05-2012, 2:49 PM
The better sports analogy might be that he's becoming Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretsky and Babe Ruth all in one. :)

Alas, attornies such as Mr. Kilmer are "only" two of the above. ;)

All you need to do is compare Mr. Gura to Kobe. With that he will be happy.

-Gene

JTecalo
03-05-2012, 2:50 PM
methinks Gura is a four-letter word in the anti-gun ranks

Casual_Shooter
03-05-2012, 2:50 PM
Keep up the good work guys!

Uxi
03-05-2012, 3:10 PM

Nice! I approve of that analogy. Too bad Alan Gura doesn't post here... or doe he? :chris:

Rossi357
03-05-2012, 3:16 PM

-Gene

Considering that I've been a Lakers fan since about 1964, Kobe and Mr. Gura got game!!
And don't break Mr. Gura's nose. The plastic mask may be a distraction.

Sutcliffe
03-05-2012, 3:17 PM
Not too embarrassed to admit it.

Southwest Chuck
03-05-2012, 3:22 PM

Thank YOU, Don. That's a very special OP. I think we ALL are in awe of Mr. Gura and thank and admire YOU greatly, also. I added your quote to my sigline in tribute to you both!

hoffmang
03-05-2012, 3:31 PM
Nice! I approve of that analogy. Too bad Alan Gura doesn't post here... or doe he? :chris:

Post? No....

-Gene

BigFatGuy
03-05-2012, 3:55 PM
With the Secretariat mention above, am i the only one chuckling at the idea of Alan Gura running down a muddy track with a "little person" on his shoulders?

Scarecrow Repair
03-05-2012, 3:58 PM

You're not so shabby yourself, and the proof is that you and Gura are working together.

taperxz
03-05-2012, 3:59 PM

-Gene

Sorry, as a lifelong Nor Cal person i just can't do this^^ OK for the Socal folks but i really think a Montana to Rice (pick your poison) would serve us up here a little better.

Connor P Price
03-05-2012, 4:02 PM
Sorry, as a lifelong Nor Cal person i just can't do this^^ OK for the Socal folks but i really think a Montana to Rice (pick your poison) would serve us up here a little better.

Alan's an LA sports fan.

taperxz
03-05-2012, 4:05 PM
Alan's an LA sports fan.

I understand that! And its OK! Even Alan Gura is not perfect:p

6172crew
03-05-2012, 4:11 PM
*** Kicker!

Uxi
03-05-2012, 4:14 PM

You shut your mouth! :mad:

:p

I believe he has a Kings jersey on in his twitter avatar. Wonder if he's a regular at Staples. I'm gonna have to keep my eyes out.

chiselchst
03-05-2012, 4:19 PM
Thank YOU Don, for all of your great work and time. It's exciting for common folks like me to watch all of the good things happening as they unwind...

As you said, this is history in the making! And Alan Gura, what can I say...just feel so fortunate he's on the team :43:

Thanks to EVEVERYONE on the "Team"...

stitchnicklas
03-05-2012, 4:23 PM
i think gura has a drink for free card in his pocket from every gun owner in the country at this point

Gray Peterson
03-05-2012, 4:24 PM
Just wanted to add my two cents.

Alan is amicus counsel for the SAF/state organizations in Peterson v. Martinez. The fact that he is on our side makes me believe that we will win the 10th Circuit, and push it over the top.

ShooterDK
03-05-2012, 4:28 PM
^ Yes, I am one of the common folk also and I appreciate what you and Alan are doing for our 2nd. amendment rights. Thank you!

Rich Keagy
03-05-2012, 4:49 PM
Any ideas on how the Federal District court ruling will effect California?

Gray Peterson
03-05-2012, 8:14 PM
Any ideas on how the Federal District court ruling will effect California?

Some sheriff's may decide to flip.

Rossi357
03-05-2012, 8:21 PM
If Sheriff Gore flips, I promise to mess my drawers.

Nachoman
03-05-2012, 8:26 PM
Anyone here ever go shooting with Gura? I wonder what his prefered firearms are and what he owns. If i were an instructor, I'd give that guy free entry to any of my classes whenever he wanted to.

HowardW56
03-05-2012, 8:32 PM
methinks Gura is a four-letter word in the anti-gun ranks

I think you're right!

wildhawker
03-05-2012, 8:34 PM
Some sheriff's may decide to flip.

I'll place odds of an out of CA9 case causing California sheriffs to flip at 1000:1.

-Brandon

TKM
03-05-2012, 8:39 PM
I wonder what his preferred firearms are and what he owns.

In a perfect world he'd be double packing matched Korths in all standard calibers with a bill of sale indicating payment by check from Rahm Emanuel.

Connor P Price
03-05-2012, 8:46 PM
I'll place odds of an out of CA9 case causing California sheriffs to flip at 1000:1.

-Brandon

Even at those odds, I wouldn't take that bet.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

HowardW56
03-05-2012, 8:50 PM

-Brandon

Hopefully that will happen before Nordyke IIX :D

hoffmang
03-05-2012, 9:12 PM
Mr Gura paid for none of the alcohol he imbibed tonight.

The sarcasm was thick :)

-Gene

nicki
03-05-2012, 9:16 PM
In the view of our opponents, Alan Gura is probably the "devil incarnate":eek:

For those of you who have never met Alan, when the opportunity presents itself, you should do so.

Alan is a very approachable and friendly guy just like the rest of the guys on our side. :43:

The other side, not so much.;)

Nicki

craneman
03-05-2012, 9:23 PM
A huge "Thank You For All You Do" to Mr. Gura, Mr. Kilmer, Mr. Micheals and all the other esteemed Esq. that are on our side of this battle.

The right side.

Maestro Pistolero
03-05-2012, 10:33 PM
If Sheriff Gore flips, I promise to mess my drawers.

I'm going to let you off the hook in advance on that one.

Rossi357
03-05-2012, 11:04 PM
I'm going to let you off the hook in advance on that one.

I felt very safe making that promise. Neither is going to happen.

oaklander
03-05-2012, 11:10 PM
I rarely see lawyers outside of the CGF/SAF/etc. . . TRIAD OF WIN posting here. . .

:chris:

Just something to think about. There's some issues with people not understanding the concept of teamwork. I need to remind people that there is ONLY ONE WINNING TEAM.

I will make it more clear. So that people can understand this. More outline is here: http://www.gunrightsarecivilrights.org/10032-about-10032.html as well *(scroll down about 1/2 way on page).

People need to understand the internal politics so that people will know what is happening with respect to a certain state-wide membership 501(c)4 that I recently resigned as a Director of.

1) "The team" is one loose coalition of PEOPLE - not organizations. It basically exists as true friendships among fellow fighters.

2) Whatever organizations exist - DO exist for ONLY one reason - and that is to empower the PEOPLE who win things for you.

3) The organizations and structures THUS exist for no other reason than to empower all of us, and thereby the underlying right.

A few years ago - the state was fractured.

NOW - we ARE ONE WINNING TEAM.

And I know I repeat that all the time, but dammit - it's the fricken truth.

We have a unified vision of civil rights, and rights for all people. Not just a chosen few, and not just people who all look and/or dress a certain way. Unless you have lost your rights (and that's an entirely separate issue too), we welcome ALL PEOPLE OF GOOD INTENT.

I know these things because I am one of the people who actually knows most of the people involved, personally. I have no idea how that happened, most of it was luck, and just showing up at meetings and stuff, BBQ'ing tri-tip, etc.

BUT THE POINT is that we are winning for a reason, and that reason is the hard working people LIKE YOU ALL who share this vision of freedom, civil rights, and the rule of law.

We don't like the laws, so we FIX THEM. We don't burn flags, and we don't riot in the streets. We use our American democratic and legal system AS DESIGNED, to win. TIME AFTER TIME.

And moving forward, I predict that this rights movement will become more overtly political, and I expect us to start regaining back all sorts of freedoms.

But ALL FREEDOMS depend on being free. And you can't be free if you are dead. And our self-defense rights protect all other rights. It is the most American of all the rights, in my personal opinion.

We are a country born of chaos, and the Founders knew that the most patriotic thing a person could do was protect and cherish our freedom. Like you all are doing now.

This is a proud day for us, and I urge people to not get wrapped up in drama, and just remember that we are winning, that we win for a reason, and THAT reason IS YOU ALL.

badwolf
03-05-2012, 11:31 PM
Had the honor of meeting Mr Gura and Mr Kilmer when Mr Gura spoke at Santa Clara University a couple years back. (and got to meet another cal-gunner, too! Hi Sutcliffe!) It was an amazing talk, he truly is an amazing talent and intellect! (as is Mr. Kilmer :-) )

kcbrown
03-06-2012, 5:08 AM
I'm always in awe of Alan and Don. Great minds indeed.

Gura's briefs are always a pleasure to read, most especially when they smack down the opposition but good (some of the Ezell action was particularly pleasurable in that regard). :43:

But most of all, we all owe those guys a huge debt of gratitude. It's humbling to know that we have such immense talent on our side.

Keep fighting the good fight, gentlemen, and know that you have a very appreciative audience!

Paladin
03-06-2012, 8:33 AM
Alan is a very approachable and friendly guy just like the rest of the guys on our side. :43:

The other side, not so much.;)

NickiI think that is inherent in the positions the two sides take: one side is for "privilege", and an aristocracy that exclusively enjoys governmental and other privileges (even while claiming to be for "the common man"). The other side, our side, is for "equal rights under the law," and a meritocracy that opposes all governmental privileges and expects all private "privileges" (private club memberships and other benefits of wealth) to be earned/paid for by lawful means.

Their advocates are often from the Ivory Towers of the Ivy League and think of themselves as "the ruling elite", whereas our guys... "not so much.;)"

Major "hat tip" to Gura -- he's earned it. I am extremely happy for the law-abiding folks in MD, esp those in Baltimore.

aileron
03-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Thanks Gura... you are a true American Hero. :)

Ditto to all the celebrated lawyers of the 2nd amendment. God Bless you all.

REPR
03-06-2012, 3:20 PM
A great thanks to all on our legal dream team :patriot:

Legasat
03-06-2012, 3:29 PM
Mr Kilmer - You and Mr. Gura are the Rock-Stars of the Civil Rights movement in the 21st Century!!!

GOEX FFF
03-06-2012, 3:53 PM
History is in the making here folks and it's these guys along with CGF who are THE ones that are doing it!

I feel honored to be in the presents of you all fighting so hard, and to be on the right side of American freedom.

:patriot:

Southwest Chuck
03-06-2012, 4:43 PM
History is in the making here folks and it's these guys along with CGF who are THE ones that are doing it!

I feel honored to be in the presents of you all fighting so hard, and to be on the right side of American freedom.

:patriot:

^^ x 2. See my sig

hill billy
03-06-2012, 4:54 PM
To all of you men(and wonderful women) who labor so much on our behalf, our unending gratitude.

jaymz
03-06-2012, 5:12 PM
Bud Light needs to do a "Real Men of Genius" jingle for these guys! Fantastic work. Thank you.

goober
03-06-2012, 7:36 PM
Thank you for all the work you do, Don... And agreed, Gura is a true artist and force of nature (and a really nice guy).

CapS
03-06-2012, 10:44 PM
His victories are now starting to transcend great legal work and are treading into the realm of great art.
...a legal force of nature that comes along only once in a generation. I am a happy witness to this man's work and I am a grateful beneficiary of his talent.

Hear, hear!

(You deserve your own tribute, Don, but I am not near eloquent enough to deliver it.)

CapS [Resident Old Guy] :oji:

fquinonez
03-07-2012, 12:30 AM

BLASPHEMY!!! :eek:

zonzin
03-07-2012, 7:28 AM
Thanks to the "front Line" of this war on the assault of our liberties.

Quick bio on Alan Gura here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Gura

Good read on the sacrifices made by the Gura team: http://blog.simplejustice.us/2011/12/31/alan-guras-expensive-lesson.aspx

And did you know about his FA beer case? Outstanding. http://thexemplar.com/blog/xemplar/2011/08/01/alan-gura-its-a-matter-of-principle/

Wherryj
03-07-2012, 11:21 AM
Post? No....

-Gene

We've got a lurker?

Cool.

Wherryj
03-07-2012, 11:22 AM
Considering that I've been a Lakers fan since about 1964, Kobe and Mr. Gura got game!!
And don't break Mr. Gura's nose. The plastic mask may be a distraction.

I'd be much more concerned about needing a $4mil apology ring myself.

Wherryj
03-07-2012, 11:24 AM
You shut your mouth! :mad:

:p

I believe he has a Kings jersey on in his twitter avatar. Wonder if he's a regular at Staples. I'm gonna have to keep my eyes out.

Oh, So Cal fan was ok, but tell me not the Kings!!

I guess that everyone has a "vice".

HowardW56
03-07-2012, 11:38 AM

-Gene

Post? No....

-Gene

We've got a lurker?

Cool.

Everyone had better polish up on their writing skills, it seems that we have a lurker who is quite the wordsmith... :D

1BigPea
03-07-2012, 11:38 AM
I'm always in awe of Alan and Don. Great minds indeed.

Gura's briefs are always a pleasure to read, most especially when they smack down the opposition but good (some of the Ezell action was particularly pleasurable in that regard). :43:

But most of all, we all owe those guys a huge debt of gratitude. It's humbling to know that we have such immense talent on our side.

Keep fighting the good fight, gentlemen, and know that you have a very appreciative audience!

I couldn't have said it better...

Guru and Don are amazing with what they do for RKBA.

Southwest Chuck
03-09-2012, 5:38 PM
Al Norris posted this over at MD Shooters, Post 112 .I thought it appropriate to post it here as well.
http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=1545616#post1545616

...in referencing the recently filed brief in Moore v Madigan CCA7 Opening Brief.pdf (http://www.mdshooters.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=54024&d=1331073393) , Al stated:

.....I have to mention that it is becoming harder to distinguish the writings of David Sigale and David Jensen from that of Alan Gura. Sigale appears to be the researcher, while Jensen is the firebrand. They are both being tempered by the wordsmithing abilities of their associate, Alan Gura. I may be wrong in my assumptions, here, but after reading all of their pleadings, we are experiencing another Gura first - Team-Building.

This is a distinct, "Good Thing."

Bolding is mine.

Awesome. Just Awesome We're going to need more steam rollers!
:King:

hoffmang
03-09-2012, 8:13 PM
We have way too much work for Mr. Gura and we're starting to build a national infrastructure of those who can do the Federal District Court work.

Steamroller is getting wider....

-Gene