PDA

View Full Version : CO Supreme Court Rules Against Campus Gun Ban

ABN-RGR
03-05-2012, 11:18 AM
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/30610440/detail.html

Between this Colorado Supreme Court decision and the MD Federal Court decision, this is shaping up to be a great day for gun rights in America.

Andy Taylor
03-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Fantastic.

Bhobbs
03-05-2012, 11:57 AM
Must be nice.

Crom
03-05-2012, 12:08 PM
Very nice indeed. They won on statutory claims, handled purely within the realm of Colorado State law.

The [Colorado] supreme court holds that the Concealed Carry Act’s comprehensive statewide purpose, broad language, and narrow exclusions show that the General Assembly intended to divest the Board of Regents of its authority to regulate concealed handgun possession on campus. Accordingly, the supreme court agrees with the court of appeals that, by alleging the Policy violates the CCA, the Students for Concealed Carry on Campus have stated a claim for relief. Because the supreme court affirms on statutory grounds, it does not consider the Students’ constitutional claim.

I sure wish we could get our state legislature to pass some pro-carry laws. :mad:

Connor P Price
03-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Finally, I've been looking for this every day for the last week. The hippies at CU Boulder will love this.

Librarian
03-05-2012, 12:26 PM
Opinion is at http://www.courts.state.co.us/Courts/Supreme_Court/opinions/2010/10SC344.pdf

Dave Kopel on the case at Volokh (http://volokh.com/2012/03/05/right-to-carry-victory-in-colorado-students-for-concealed-carry-on-campus-v-regents/)

Uxi
03-05-2012, 12:30 PM
ah to have a sane legislature

ckprax
03-05-2012, 1:42 PM
Awesome. I wish all Mondays were this good.

PsychGuy274
03-06-2012, 3:17 AM
Yay! +1 for my state!

Sutcliffe
03-06-2012, 5:21 AM
My brother in law lives in Woodland Park(outside Colorado Springs). His church has 50+ members who CCW. On sunday service they have a dozen members present who have been trained in 'active shooter' and evac scenarios.

California has a long way to go.

Untamed1972
03-06-2012, 7:32 AM
The CU spokesman added, “Whether guns on campus are a good thing or a bad thing is a debate that certainly we can have. But our stance has been that the Regents, elected by the people of Colorado and determined by the constitution, are the best people to make that determination.”

So....the debate can be had, but the Regents still get to decide aye?

The unending arrogance of those in Academia never ceases to amaze me. Give someone just a little bit of power and they suddenly become a little petty tyrant over their little fiefdom, and decide the rules that put them in power suddenly no longer apply to them. :rolleyes:

TAKE THAT REGENTS! How's that state court smackdown feel? :p

Paladin
03-06-2012, 7:45 AM
On their homepage, Yahoo has posted a link to their posting of Reuter's article about it!
http://news.yahoo.com/colorado-court-says-students-carry-guns-campus-014512749.html

In contrast, I haven't seen ANY coverage of the Maryland decision. Of course, (1) that is a federal district court vs a state supreme court, and (2) this decision can be made to look bad ("OMG, guns on college campuses?!!!" :eek: :rolleyes:)

GWbiker
03-06-2012, 8:00 AM
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/30610440/detail.html

Between this Colorado Supreme Court decision and the MD Federal Court decision, this is shaping up to be a great day for gun rights in America.

YES!!!

IGOTDIRT4U
03-06-2012, 11:34 AM
Very nice indeed. They won on statutory claims, handled purely within the realm of Colorado State law.

I sure wish we could get our state legislature to pass some pro-carry laws. :mad:

Awesome. Stops it right there.

LoadedM333
03-06-2012, 8:14 PM
Must be nice to live CO!

mag360
03-06-2012, 9:57 PM
Today at work two women said they read about this story in the news and they wont allow their kids to attend college in Colorado now. One of their daughters was going to go to Boulder and the mom wont let her.

that is an excellent opportunity to refute her! What did you tell her? you did throw some counter arguments right?

Zak
03-06-2012, 9:58 PM
As a senior at the University of Colorado at Denver with a valid CCW permit, this ruling makes me very happy :)

GWbiker
03-06-2012, 10:18 PM
Today at work two women said they read about this story in the news and they wont allow their kids to attend college in Colorado now. One of their daughters was going to go to Boulder and the mom wont let her.

Well, I can understand their concern....

Just imagine all those handguns running wild attacking students and staff. Why, there will blood on campus streets and blood splattered classrooms. Shootouts will be a weekly event at keg parties.

We must remove those rampaging handguns from all campus grounds.

Do it for the children and the little kittens.

/sarcasm.

Connor P Price
03-06-2012, 11:08 PM
As a senior at the University of Colorado at Denver with a valid CCW permit, this ruling makes me very happy :)

It is my understanding that the ruling does not take effect until the first of this coming month. Be careful not to get yourself in trouble in the interim.

mosinnagantm9130
03-06-2012, 11:19 PM
Excellent!

PsychGuy274
03-07-2012, 6:00 AM
Must be nice to live CO!

It is, Good Sir. It is. :D

tankarian
03-07-2012, 6:13 AM
You surely understand that permissive gun laws that are good for a rural, backward State like Colorado are not suitable for a modern, densely populated State like California...--Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D) ;)