PDA

View Full Version : sighting in 16" mid-length ar 15 BUIS and A2 front sight?

mywytefeet
03-05-2012, 1:53 AM
I decided to take the plung and build my first AR-15. I am almost complete. The rifle consists of a BCM 16" standard midlength upper (1:7 twist) with A2 front sight and magpul BUIS. That being said, I know pretty much nothing about sighting in rifle sights. I read something about having to adjust the front sight as part of the sight-in process when using BUISs?? Anyways can someone walk me through the basics of the sight-in process--especially with a midlength upper and flip up rear sights? I don't really see myself shooting past 100 yards with iron sights--but then again, this is my first rifle, so maybe I will if my skills improve? What distance do I zero the sights at? Do I start with the front sight in a certain position? The rear sight? would using a laser bore sight make my life easier? Any particular targets for zeroing that should be used?

Thanks everyone for your help!

kermit315
03-05-2012, 2:13 AM
If you arent planning on going past 100 on irons, I would zero for 100. That being said, at the very least, sandbag it to help eliminate variables. as far as the front sight post, that is going to depend on your rear sight. I can say that on mine, I have never had to touch the front sight post.

YMMV.

mywytefeet
03-05-2012, 2:18 AM
I've read that quite a few AR guys zero at 50 yards. Is there an advantage to zeroing at 50 yards as apposed to zeroing at 100 yards?

If you arent planning on going past 100 on irons, I would zero for 100. That being said, at the very least, sandbag it to help eliminate variables. as far as the front sight post, that is going to depend on your rear sight. I can say that on mine, I have never had to touch the front sight post.

YMMV.

kermit315
03-05-2012, 3:30 AM
if you zero at 50, with most ammo you will also be on at 250.

Mrbroom
03-05-2012, 3:46 AM
Intresting.. In my Army days (84-92), we "zero'd" at 25 meters and shot up to 300 meters with our iron sites on the m-16. With my AR I built a few months back, I basically did it the same way I was taught in the Army ie 3 clicks right, 2 clicks down until your shot group was center mass.

Anyways, I wanted to recommend the use of a bore laser as it really helped in the beginning! When I first hit the range after the laser sighting, I was just about dead on!

ejhc11
03-05-2012, 8:31 AM
This is my preference for every rifle including rimfire.

1) do a rough sight-in at 25yds just to get on paper, this will involve windage and elevation adjustments (both front and rear will need some adjustments)

2) then move to 50yds and zero. Your sights will be good to 200yds, I don't check further cause my eyesight isn't that great w/those open sights.

I like a nice bright target so I can gauge where my shot groups will land. I shoot better with a reference point, a blacked out circle target with black sights is terrible for my eyes to pick out and shoot accurately.

Here is what I like to use:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/312978/hoppes-target-sighting-in-14-x-14-package-of-100

wsmc27
03-05-2012, 8:48 AM
possibly a good read...has some nice illustrations of irons too.

:) Have FUN and be safe with your new rifle OP!

http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/army_board_study_guide_topics/m16a2/zero-and-m16a2-rifle.shtml

mywytefeet
03-06-2012, 12:20 AM

1) do a rough sight-in at 25yds just to get on paper, this will involve windage and elevation adjustments (both front and rear will need some adjustments)

2) then move to 50yds and zero. Your sights will be good to 200yds, I don't check further cause my eyesight isn't that great w/those open sights.

I like a nice bright target so I can gauge where my shot groups will land. I shoot better with a reference point, a blacked out circle target with black sights is terrible for my eyes to pick out and shoot accurately.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/312978/hoppes-target-sighting-in-14-x-14-package-of-100

Thanks for the link! This is the rout I decided I want to go! Thanks again!

possibly a good read...has some nice illustrations of irons too.

:) Have FUN and be safe with your new rifle OP!

http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/army_board_study_guide_topics/m16a2/zero-and-m16a2-rifle.shtml

I'll definitely check this out! Thanks for the link!

Sturnovik
03-06-2012, 9:27 AM

+1. This method worked for me on my first AR two weekends ago.