PDA

View Full Version : Out of state from Gunbroker.com to FFL

rrengineer
03-04-2012, 11:52 PM
I am looking at a few different guns on Gunbroker.com. One is a Winchester Trapper, not too old and the other is a Broomhandle Mauser. Is there any difficulty importing these into California? Do they have to be on an approved list? It's hard enough finding one of these guys that wants to bother sending anything to California as it is. Anything I have to do on my part or does the two FFLs do the extra step required by California?
Mike

Mssr. Eleganté
03-05-2012, 12:06 AM
Both of those guns should be no problem. The Trapper is not an "assault weapon" in California and there is no approved roster for long guns to worry about. If the C96 is an original or even a copy made before 1961 then it is exempt from California's safe handgun roster because it qualifies for the "curio & relic" exemption to the roster.

As you already hinted at, the biggest problem is with out of state sellers who refuse to ship to California. If your seller is FFL (excluding Type 03 and 06 FFLs) then he will need to sign up with California CFLC system before he can ship the firearm to your local FFL. Some sellers have no problem with this. Some charge an extra fee to deal with the hassle.

The second biggest problem is finding a local California FFL willing to accept the shipment for you. Some have a company policy of only accepting shipments from other FFLs. So if your out of state seller is not an FFL then you will either have to get him to ship the firearm through his local FFL or find an FFL local to you who is willing to accept shipments from non-FFLs.

Some FFLs don't like doing out of state transfers and will either refuse to help you or will charge you excessive fees.

rrengineer
03-05-2012, 1:54 AM
Well, that's not encouraging. Sounds like I will have to find the right seller (FFL) as well as the right local FFL to make the transfer if I want something from out of state. If I am lucky I can find the guns I want here in California. That would limit my choices though. Thanks for the info.
Mike

Ukiahgunnut
03-05-2012, 9:35 AM
The seller is not your problem. Finding the right local FFL is. With mine, there has been no problems at all.

UGH+N

Munk
03-05-2012, 2:39 PM
if you're dealing with an out of state seller, contact them before bidding, and ask if they've dealt with the CFLC, or are willing to spend 5 minutes entering their FFL info on a gov't website.

I've done a couple of interstate transactions lately, and making sure the seller is cool with doing the CFLC has made things much smoother. One of the guys was even surprised by how quick and easy it was... even if it is an annoying barrier to interstate commerce.

You can also call your FFL of choice for the transfer, and tell them your intentions. Make sure you know their full transfer price, so you don't get yourself hosed by being dumb enough to go through Turner's for a non-PPT transfer.

If they have reservations about the legality of the item, help them research it. Some conversations with FFLs and them having the opportunity to make a few calls before my purchase was made helped them realize we could do wonderful business together.

Once the seller and your transferring FFL are lined up, it's just a matter of winning the auction (or making your purchase) and getting your FFL's info to the seller so they can fill it in on the CFLC and mail it out.

thegreydecay
03-05-2012, 9:36 PM
I recently had a similar experience that might help you out. I was interested in a rifle on GunBroker but noticed the caveat in his ad about not wanting to ship to CA. I took a shot and asked if the seller had a specific reason for excluding CA, or was it just based on a perception that shipping to CA was a hassle/illegal? He responded that it was the latter. So I sent him the following and after reading it, he felt much more at ease and we got the deal done without further incident:

If your FFL is unfamiliar with shipping to California, I'm hoping the following link will help. (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=7799948&postcount=8).

As has been said, it does take a cooperative and diligent FFL on the receiving end, but as this is pretty much free money for them (as long as they follow the rules), you shouldn't have too much trouble finding one to help you out.

-TGD

rrengineer
03-06-2012, 12:15 AM
Thanks guys. Now I feel better. It's much better to be armed with this info and it should help seal the deal.
Mike