PDA

View Full Version : Question about TDS .308 BCG

m9bayonet
03-04-2012, 9:42 PM
I bought two TDS .308 BCGs a week ago and was told they were manufactured by DPMS not just DPMS "profile". After comparing them to my DPMS .308 BCG I noticed some differences with the carrier. After talking to a DPMS tech on the phone I determined they are not manufactured by DPMS or any of the other 4 or so manufacturers I know of.

Does anyone know the actual manufacturer of these BCGs? If you have a TDS .308 BCG what is your opinion/experience?

The quality looks very good to me and no one can beat their price but I want to make sure I should keep them and not just take them back.

Thanks for any information about this.

S470FM
03-04-2012, 11:01 PM
I think Aero makes their uppers and BCGs

motorwerks
03-04-2012, 11:34 PM
http://tdsguns.com/store/product/9816/TDS-Bolt-Carrier-AR-10/

This one? Hard telling I really don't trust much that TDS says. On two separate trips I had to explain how a bolt carrier works to one employee and the next trip I had to explain to another guy behind the counter why I wanted to buy a Young manufacturing bolt carrier over a standard phosphate BCG. I poke my head in once in a while.... thats it though.

I would see if you can find a go, no go set of head space gauges though. Just to make sure its with in spec with your barrel.

m9bayonet
03-04-2012, 11:45 PM
I think Aero makes their uppers and BCGs

Makes sense. The only BCG picture I have seen that looks the same as the TDS was on surplusammo.com which sells a bunch of aero precision parts.

The main difference between the DPMS is the sides of the TDS carrier are rounded instead of hexagon.

m9bayonet
03-04-2012, 11:58 PM
http://tdsguns.com/store/product/9816/TDS-Bolt-Carrier-AR-10/

This one? Hard telling I really don't trust much that TDS says. On two separate trips I had to explain how a bolt carrier works to one employee and the next trip I had to explain to another guy behind the counter why I wanted to buy a Young manufacturing bolt carrier over a standard phosphate BCG. I poke my head in once in a while.... thats it though.

I would see if you can find a go, no go set of head space gauges though. Just to make sure its with in spec with your barrel.

I hear you. The first time I called they told me that the .308 BCGs were made by WilTec :facepalm:

Definitely going to have them checked for head space.

Hoop
03-05-2012, 6:38 AM
The first time I called they told me that the .308 BCGs were made by WilTec :facepalm:

Why is that a facepalm? I've never heard of wiltec but there are lots of small shops making OEM parts out there.

m9bayonet
03-05-2012, 6:41 PM
Why is that a facepalm? I've never heard of wiltec but there are lots of small shops making OEM parts out there.

Facepalm was because TDS could not get the manufacturer straight. Wiltec is no longer in business and I've never heard of them making DPMS .308 parts. I have a Wiltec BCG in an AR15 and it works great.

Another member got back to me and has had no problems with his TDS .308 BCG but did have problems with a DPMS.

Looks like these are keepers.

negolien
03-06-2012, 4:35 AM
I also have issue with the whole can't beat the price of TDS thing... Not a bad shop but really lol their prices can be beat.

Hoop
03-06-2012, 7:15 AM
Facepalm was because TDS could not get the manufacturer straight. Wiltec is no longer in business and I've never heard of them making DPMS .308 parts. I have a Wiltec BCG in an AR15 and it works great.

Another member got back to me and has had no problems with his TDS .308 BCG but did have problems with a DPMS.

Looks like these are keepers.

I have a TDS 308 BCG and it works fine too. They told me that their parts were from OEM makers and assembled by an employee which makes sense.

Googling around there is a wiltec machinging industries website with a date of 2011 and they do have a picture of misc parts that includes a 308 BCG. So if they are out of business there still could be a pile of parts floating around that they made maybe TDS got a deal on some.

m9bayonet
03-06-2012, 8:23 AM
I also have issue with the whole can't beat the price of TDS thing... Not a bad shop but really lol their prices can be beat.

Agreed I was referring to one part- .308 DPMS BCG. Have not seen them lower than $189 for a while.

m9bayonet
03-06-2012, 8:27 AM
I have a TDS 308 BCG and it works fine too. They told me that their parts were from OEM makers and assembled by an employee which makes sense.

Googling around there is a wiltec machinging industries website with a date of 2011 and they do have a picture of misc parts that includes a 308 BCG. So if they are out of business there still could be a pile of parts floating around that they made maybe TDS got a deal on some.

I've never heard of them making DPMS .308 parts.
I stand corrected. I saw those same pictures.

problemchild
03-06-2012, 8:51 AM
If that link/picture is the one you are using I think the gun will be overgassed. The exhaust hole in the BCG is way too small. Its also missing the 3 holes in the cut.

Hoop
03-06-2012, 10:54 AM
If that link/picture is the one you are using I think the gun will be overgassed. The exhaust hole in the BCG is way too small. Its also missing the 3 holes in the cut.

Well, the ejection pattern is very uniform and the recoil isn't bad so it seems to be working fine for me. If I were to do it again I might go with a JP bolt and DPMS carrier though.

problemchild
03-06-2012, 12:51 PM
Well, the ejection pattern is very uniform and the recoil isn't bad so it seems to be working fine for me. If I were to do it again I might go with a JP bolt and DPMS carrier though.

What clock position is the brass landing at and is there any brass marks anywhere in the ejection oval itself (front or back end)?

Hoop
03-06-2012, 1:01 PM
Pretty steady at 230-3o'clock no marks. My other 308 upper w/dpms bcg which was overgassed was about 130.

problemchild
03-06-2012, 5:47 PM
Pretty steady at 230-3o'clock no marks. My other 308 upper w/dpms bcg which was overgassed was about 130.

Interesting. My LMT has 4 holes for exhaust and having just gone through an overgassing issue they changed the BC to a BC with a much larger exhaust hole.

m9bayonet
03-06-2012, 6:31 PM
Interesting. My LMT has 4 holes for exhaust and having just gone through an overgassing issue they changed the BC to a BC with a much larger exhaust hole.

The TDS and DMPS BCGs I have look almost identical except the sides of the carrier below the gas key are round on the TDS and kind of hex shaped on the DPMS. Number of exhaust ports and size are the same as well.

m9bayonet
03-06-2012, 6:50 PM
BCGs are manufactured by Wiltec. The first guy at TDS I talked to was right.

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/part-accessory-classifieds/55800-various-complete-bolt-carrier-groups-bcg-308-556-a.html

Thanks everyone.