PDA

View Full Version : Laws on bringing a gun when visiting California?

Gryff
04-08-2007, 12:22 AM
I am match director for this year's IDPA state championship. A Texas shooter has asked me what the rules are on coming into the state with his guns.

I know that it is allowed, since there is a blurb on the DOJ website pertaining to this. But what about hi-cap magazines? Can they come in with the shooter?

I wouldn't think so, but a friend who shoots IPSC says that it is allowed.

If you have a definitive answer (and can direct me to verification of it), please let me know. I need to be able to reassure my out-of-state competitors about what they can or cannot bring with them to the match.

CalNRA
04-08-2007, 12:41 AM
There are provisions of in section (26) in the "Dnagerous Wespons Law" that leads to PC 12079, which only allows a licensed dealer(FFL) and an out of state client to operate with a permit from the DOJ-BOF.

" (26) The importation into this state of, or sale of, any large-capacity magazine by a person who has been issued a permit to engage in those activities pursuant to Section 12079, when those activities are in accordance with the terms and conditions of that permit."

12079:

(a) Upon a showing that good cause exists, the Department of Justice may issue permits for the possession, transportation, or sale between a person licensed pursuant to Section 12071 and an out-of-state client, of large capacity magazines.

it's a long shot but you "could" apply for a permit if you are or someone you know are an FFL and arrange for a transportation permit.

it will be much cheaper for them to buy 10 round mags and leave the standard-capacity magazines at home.

Gryff
04-08-2007, 1:35 AM
it's a long shot but you "could" apply for a permit if you are or someone you know are an FFL and arrange for a transportation permit.

it will be much cheaper for them to buy 10 round mags and leave the standard-capacity magazines at home.

That is a great response, and exactly what I needed. Thank you!

CalNRA
04-08-2007, 1:40 AM
Jim, you bet, but please don't tell that to the guys in Texas too quickly. I would wait a few hours and let the more knowledgable folks on the board to chime in, it's late and I may have missed or misinterpreted in the sea of Penal Codes.

this is the actual DOJ regulations on issuing the permit:
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/chapter39.pdf?PHPSESSID=ac386f9b9d307fab5009112b5f b9a261

according to that file, the permit is a year-long permit and must be filled one month prior to Dec 31st of each year for the duration of the next calender year, so even if you, by some extraordinary luck, do get a permit, your friends can only bring them at the earliest January 1st, 2008. Doh!!

oh yeah, that and what Bill said below on the AW feature issues.

bwiese
04-08-2007, 1:46 AM
Gryff, some broad-stroke guidane:

You can bring in 'ordinary' handguns, rifles and shotguns just fine.

Semiauto handguns cannot have threaded barrels (that makes them illegal unregistered
assault weapons). Some 'comped' guns may have threaded bbls that are not readily apparent.
Handguns with mags separate from the pistol grip are considered assault weapons too.

Handguns should be transported locked & unloaded.

Do NOT bring in hicap magazines - which includes those mags holding over 10rds, as well as
those that have not been permanently restricted to 10rds or less capacity.

Do not bring in rifle-based assault weapons: this includes any named gun on the banned lists
(which includes the usual suspects), as well as semiauto centerfire rifles w/detachable magazines
that have any evil feature (pistol grip, flash hider, folding or telestock, etc.). Ordinary-looking M1As
and Mini14s are illegal in CA if they have a flash hider.

Gun owners actually moving into CA have 60 days to register their *handguns* (as a "Personal
Handgun Importer") with CA Dept of Justice, with a $19/gun fee.

Dont Tread on Me
04-08-2007, 3:40 AM
Gryff, PM sent so you can connect my calguns identity to my real identity. BWiese gives excellent advice.

Mr. Mildot
04-08-2007, 7:42 AM
Better off just staying out of PRK. F'k this place!

anotherone
04-08-2007, 5:17 PM
My first recommendation would be "don't bring a gun into California", it's hard enough to own one here as a resident and they will come after you no-holds-barred if you bring one into the state as a non-resident. Try to find a different place to hold your competition.

If there's no way around it, keep the guns locked when transporting them, be aware of AW laws (no barrel shrouds, threaded barrels, forward grips, etc on pistols) and only use magazines with a capacity of 10 rounds.

Good luck!

Dont Tread on Me
04-08-2007, 7:08 PM
Try to find a different place to hold your competition.

We really would have lost if the California State IDPA Championship had to be held outside of California!

M. Sage
04-08-2007, 8:32 PM
Holy crap, +1 to CA_Brit's above post. Stop holding competitions in California? No way!

That's not even funny...

CalNRA
04-09-2007, 4:13 AM
We really would have lost if the California State IDPA Championship had to be held outside of California!

like the English Olympic pistol team?

Dont Tread on Me
04-09-2007, 4:51 AM
like the English Olympic pistol team?

I lost track of them. I know there was no sporting exemption to the ban. Do they train in another country?