PDA

View Full Version : Hunting License for ground sqiurrels?

Gary O
03-04-2012, 6:51 PM
Do you need a calif hunting license to shoot ground squirrels? Coyotes?
Thanks...

wtkaiser
03-04-2012, 6:56 PM
yup. If you can shoot it, you need a license, at least. Even pesky pigs. Crows that are depradating your crops are subject to hunting (assuming you have a license), but if they're not, crows are protected. I don't know who passed that one, or why, but it was there last time I checked the regs. And funny thing, but license fees keep climbing - imagine that!

hayaku
03-04-2012, 7:41 PM
which kind of squirrel?

ground squirrels are considered pest/varmint and can be taken year round in legal areas. if you are on your own property and have legal rights to shoot, you don't need a license for dealing with pest. if you are out in public land, you do need your license with you.

tree squirrels are considered small game and have a season and daily bag limit. obviously you need a license to hunt these.

jswr450
03-04-2012, 7:59 PM
You need a license to hunt ground squirrels and Coyotes. You need a hunting license to hunt anything and, of course, there are regulations to make sure you can hunt year after year. The ground squirrel season is open all year and tree squirrels have a limited season. A hunting license is not too expensive and the money helps hunting and wild game in California.

Fjold
03-04-2012, 8:02 PM
yup. If you can shoot it, you need a license, at least. Even pesky pigs. Crows that are depradating your crops are subject to hunting (assuming you have a license), but if they're not, crows are protected. I don't know who passed that one, or why, but it was there last time I checked the regs. And funny thing, but license fees keep climbing - imagine that!

CA has a season on crows.

485. American Crow.
•(a) Shotgun, Falconry, and Archery Seasons, and Bag and Possession Limits. ◦(1) Season: The first Saturday in December and extending for 124 consecutive days.
◦(2) Daily Bag and Possession Limits ■Bag Limit: 24 crows per day
■Possession Limit: double the daily bag limit

◦(3) Area: Statewide: see closure area (d) below

•(b) Crows may only be taken by shotguns 10 gauge or smaller using shot shells only and incapable of holding more than three shells in the magazine and chamber combined, bow and arrow, and falconry. Crows may not be hunted from aircraft.
•(c) No person shall kill or cripple a crow pursuant to this section without making a reasonable effort to retrieve the bird, and retain it in their actual custody at the place where taken or between that place and either: (1) their automobile or principal means of land transportation; or (2) their personal abode or temporary or transient place of lodging; or (3) a migratory bird preservation facility; or (4) a post office; or (5) a common carrier facility.
•(d) Crows may not be taken in the following areas: ◦(1) Within the boundaries of the Trinity and Mendocino National Forests south of Highway 36.
◦(2) North and east of a line beginning at the mouth of the Eel River; south along the Eel River to the town of Alton; east on Highway 36 from the town of Alton to Highway 89 west of Chester; south and east on Highways 89 and 395 to Interstate 15 near Hesperia; south on Interstate 15 to Interstate 10; and east on Interstate 10 to the California-Arizona border.

•(e) See Section 472(d) for the take of American crows causing depredation.

MrPlink
03-04-2012, 8:02 PM
And funny thing, but license fees keep climbing - imagine that!

what is easier to list? Things that are getting more expensive, or thing that are getting cheaper?

:p

but yeah, as stated: if you are hunting, you need a license!

Peter.Steele
03-04-2012, 8:07 PM
Incorrect info used to be here. It has been deleted.

Mssr. Eleganté
03-04-2012, 8:10 PM
FUD.

Game animals require licenses.

Varmints do not require licenses to shoot.

I thought varmints required a license but not tags. :confused:

NorCalK9.com
03-04-2012, 8:10 PM
Well heck I sure hope I dont need tags for ground squirrels, lmao theyre tearing my training field up

Peter.Steele
03-04-2012, 8:29 PM
I thought varmints required a license but not tags. :confused:

I just looked it up, and ... turns out you're right.

russ69
03-04-2012, 8:47 PM
which kind of squirrel?

ground squirrels are considered pest/varmint and can be taken year round in legal areas. if you are on your own property and have legal rights to shoot, you don't need a license for dealing with pest. if you are out in public land, you do need your license with you.

tree squirrels are considered small game and have a season and daily bag limit. obviously you need a license to hunt these.

This is 100% correct.

SamSung
03-04-2012, 8:52 PM
CA hunting license is $44.00, Valid for a year from July 1st to June 30 the following year.

Drivedabizness
03-04-2012, 9:15 PM
License fees are now tied to a COLA so they will do nothing but go up.

fusionstar
03-04-2012, 9:25 PM
dont forget the 10hr minimum hunter safety course.

Habid
04-11-2012, 4:45 PM
When the battle drum beats, it is too late to sharpen your sword."

Drivedabizness
04-11-2012, 8:01 PM

Several years ago fees were pegged to automatic increases....

Spyder
04-12-2012, 7:52 AM
Rattlesnake is about the only critter you don't need a license to take. And if you DID need one, reptiles fall under fishing licenses anyway. And bag and possession on those tasty little buzzsnakes is 2. :D

GrizzlyGuy
04-12-2012, 8:05 AM
which kind of squirrel?

Here is some clarification and additional info on that from DFG (http://californiaoutdoors.wordpress.com/page/2/):

Question: My uncle has a ranch up in northeastern California and his property has become overrun with ground squirrels. He’s worried about his calves stepping in the holes and breaking their legs. Do we need hunting licenses to help him get rid of these varmints? How can we legally help my uncle control his ground squirrel invasion problem and not get in trouble with a game warden? (Anonymous)

Answer: When taking nongame mammals (like these ground squirrels) for depredation purposes, the landowner must be able to prove damage by the nongame mammal prior to the take. Damage must be proven in order to fall under the parameters of “take” without a license. In addition, the no license requirement only applies to the landowner and their agent. The person “taking” under depredation must show proof in writing they are acting as an agent for the landowner for depredation purposes and they must carry this proof while doing so.

Shooting certain nongame mammals not causing damage may still be allowed by licensed hunters, but all hunters must have written permission of the landowner to hunt on private property.

As always, remember that safe gun handling practices must always be practiced when using a firearm and other laws may apply.

motorwerks
04-12-2012, 11:54 AM
I just saw an episode of "wild justice" where a guy got ticketed for shooting ground squirrels with no license.

chicoredneck
04-12-2012, 11:59 AM
Do you need a calif hunting license to shoot ground squirrels? Coyotes?
Thanks...

If you want to shoot critters without a hunting license the state of NV allows you take take non-game animals without one. It is not that long of a jaunt from the sacramento area to the NV desert if you desperately seek living targets or animals of low food value.

peter95
04-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Yes, u need a license for everything in hunting....

TROYSD
04-12-2012, 2:12 PM
SO you can take your dead crows to the post office