PDA

View Full Version : LARGE CAPACITY MAGAZINE PERMIT QUESTION

allpoint
03-04-2012, 4:43 PM
On the LCMPA (Large Capacity Magazine Permit Application), it states, "A permit is not required for the lawful sale of large-capacity magazines within the state to persons authorized to obtain them under Penal Code sections 32400 through 32450, such as law enforcement agencies... " 32410 states "Section 32310 (LCMPA is required) does not apply to the sale or purchase of any large-capacity magazine to or by a person licensed pursuant to Sections 26700 to 26915, which is all the requirements to become a FFL. I am exempt because I am a FFL and PPO Private Patrol Operator, so why do FFL have to apply if according to Penal Code 32410 they are not required. Thank you for your response.

GunSafari
03-04-2012, 5:18 PM
for the importation of the magazines....

allpoint
03-04-2012, 5:56 PM
for the importation of the magazines....

Oh, I knew someone was going to correct me because I missed something. So purchasing online or going out of state to bring them back to CA would be illegal for a FFL.

welldriller
03-04-2012, 6:03 PM
Without the FFL, can a PPO or Alarm Co Operator apply for an exemption?
Attempted to look through 32400 and 26700 and just got confused.

Databyter
03-04-2012, 6:07 PM
Without the FFL, can a PPO or Alarm Co Operator apply for an exemption?
Attempted to look through 32400 and 26700 and just got confused.

I was wondering this as well, although I did not go through the codes to find out.

Is a Private PPO armed guard able to use higher capacity magazines like LEO's?

Regardless of how much sense that makes, I am guessing that the answer is no.

After all, Armed Guards have less backup and manpower. Why would they need the same amount of firepower against Armed Robbers. :confused:

F8ality
03-04-2012, 6:13 PM
Can a business owner apply for a large capacity permit or do you have yo be an ffl/Leo?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

metalstorm999
03-04-2012, 6:35 PM
Can a business owner apply for a large capacity permit or do you have yo be an ffl/Leo?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

According to the DOJ, you have to be on the centralized list to apply for a LCMP, and in order to be on the centralized list, you must have everything that comes along with it, including a federal firearms license.

allpoint
03-04-2012, 7:45 PM
WELLDRILLER PC 32435 states to or by any entity that operates an armored vehicle business pursuant to the laws of the state, so PPO's employ armored vehicle guards but Alarm Co aren't listed.

DATABYTER The PC only specify armored vehicle guards, but if the PPO authorizes it I don't see it being a problem if he is permitted to allow armored vehicle guards to carry LCM and also there are a lot of LEO's that work private security that I'm sure don't change over to 10 round mags to perform security for a PPO. The LEO working security for a security firm fall under the PPO as security officer and not law enforcement and has to follow the rules of security.

franklinarmory
03-05-2012, 9:47 AM
The LCMP is only for dealers. 12020 (or whatever the new number is) has numerous exemptions. If you qualify for the exemption, you can import the magazines without an LCMP. Guard companies are exempted, so you do not have to be an FFL with a LCMP to get the magazines shipped in. You do have to convince an out of state magazine manufacturer or distributor to send them to you, and THAT can sometimes be problematic.

allpoint
03-05-2012, 12:01 PM
Outstanding info! Thanks to all for the input.