PDA

View Full Version : AR 15

Doc.Sil
03-04-2012, 1:51 PM
Hello,

I am going to start pulling together pieces for my first AR in a couple months, and wanted to start getting my finished product finalized.

I am looking at this upper: http://www.lefthandrifles.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=upper18&cat=6&page=1&search=&since=&status=&title=

I am a lefty shooter. I know many say just shoot a righty rifle, but if I'm paying for something I want it built for me.

I am pretty unfamiliar with lowers, and can use any sort of input/advice there.

My biggest concern is of course getting everything CA legal. To be honest I am not sure how hard it is to avoid Penal Code 12276.1 and would greatly appreciate any tips on getting my new AR CA legal.

Thanks about it, thanks in advance and I look forward to learning some useful AR facts.

I am new to owning, but have been shooting since a kid, got a few hand guns and a bolt action 22 (of course its lefty! :cool:). I am definitely pretty unfamiliar with AR 15 parts/terminology (there's your warning :p)

icenix
03-04-2012, 2:07 PM
Well, I will sum up what most will say. All lowers are made by the same 5-6 companies and then they put the roll marks of different brands on them. They are considered to be pretty much the same, so just pick one with a roll mark you like (I picked a Spikes Tactical because I like the spider) and go with it.

CA legal basically means you have to have a bullet button or go featureless (yuck IMO). Just add a LPK (lower parts kit) and buffer tube assembly of your choice and put it together.

That upper you are looking at looks nice, and Noveske is a good brand, but just keep in mind you can still get high quality for less (keeping in mind you would have to search for a lefty version if that's what you want). Some think it's better to start with a cheaper AR so you can get a better idea of what you really want when you build your ideal AR. I went with a Spikes lower and Bravo Company upper (good brands) and spent about what you are going to spend on that entire upper alone. So, food for thought.

Doc.Sil
03-04-2012, 2:21 PM
Thanks for the info icenix. I do realize that the price is steep, but I dont really what a stag upper, and noveske is the only mass lefty manufacturer I could find. It's quite a premium, but I am willing to eat it. I was actually looking at a BCM RECCE 16" upper, but they dont make it for lefties.

Anyway, could you please elaborate on LPKs/buffer tube assembly? Thanks!

Edit: if anyone wants to offer an alternate lefty manufacturer and some compelling reasons as to why I am all ears. but am also 100% going lefty, no swaying me there.

icenix
03-04-2012, 5:37 PM
Anyway, could you please elaborate on LPKs/buffer tube assembly? Thanks!

Edit: if anyone wants to offer an alternate lefty manufacturer and some compelling reasons as to why I am all ears. but am also 100% going lefty, no swaying me there.

I will have defer to the more experienced guys about the LPKs and buffer tube assembly stuff. I am only about 5 months ahead of you in putting together my first AR. Mine is done (I'll take this opportunity to share a pic ;) ) but I am still learning as well.

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee415/icenix25/IMG_2247.jpg

Arkangel
03-04-2012, 10:18 PM
^^^ Nice rifle :)

She looks kinda familiar ;)
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg94/arkangelblak/DSCN2172.jpg

tools2teach
03-04-2012, 10:23 PM
All the lowers are the same to me IMO. Just picK the engraving. I love the troy handguard. Looks great!

Doc.Sil
03-05-2012, 5:31 AM
Can anyone tell me if this lower is CA okay: http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/spider-bullet-lower-w-standard-kit-black-ctr-stock-moe-grip-p-590.html

I am particularly confused with pistol grips being "evil items."

Secondly, how do I go about installing an ambi mag release and ambi safety selector?

Thanks

Petro
03-05-2012, 5:45 AM
No. No bb installed. YouTube has a lot of videos on putting lowers together.

Doc.Sil
03-05-2012, 6:04 AM
No. No bb installed. YouTube has a lot of videos on putting lowers together.

I am not so much afraid of putting together the lower, as much as I am afraid of getting incompatible pieces. Getting the whole sha-bang at once is much more convenient for me.

Edit: Is there a way to BB a ambi mag release?

Doc.Sil
03-06-2012, 6:39 AM
Okay, after the help from you guys and some additional research, here is the final build:

Parts
Noveske n4 18" SS SPR Upper
-Black Coated Barrel
-Noveske BUIS (Troy Ind.)
-LaRue FUG (VFG)
Spikes Tactical CTR Black Lower
-Bullet Button
-NO AMBI MAG RELEASE
-Ambi Safety Selector

The search for a scope will be in a later thread! I'll probably wait for a bonus and grab a 3.5x Donut ACOG.

Thanks everyone, let me know if you can think of any missing necessities. I am holding off on a bipod and will eventually grab a strap.

tonyxcom
03-06-2012, 7:31 AM
Just as a point of reference....

I shoot as a both a lefty and righty with my AR's and I the only advantage I can think of with a left hand upper is the forward assist won't get in the way of charging... but I find that reaching over the gun and charging with my right hand is almost just as easy (Med Gunfighter charging handle). You'll have a harder time dealing with the bullet button when doing clearing drills anyway.

Since we all lose out on the mag release, lefties really only lose out on the bolt release, but you can get an AMBI lower relatively cheap.

Nothing wrong with a left handed upper other than replacement parts are a little harder to come by, so make sure to have lefty specific parts of the bolt and carrier on hand.

Doc.Sil
03-06-2012, 8:58 AM
where should i buy the spare parts? how often do they need to be replaced?

Sturnovik
03-06-2012, 9:21 AM

Do you like the magpul pistol grip?

I dont like my stock one on my Spikes....too angled, that magpul looks more comfortable.

Arkangel
03-06-2012, 9:24 AM
Do you like the magpul pistol grip?

I dont like my stock one on my Spikes....too angled, that magpul looks more comfortable.

I really do, that's the MIAD grip. Its comes with interchangeable backstraps to better fit your hand.

Sturnovik
03-06-2012, 9:25 AM
I really do, that's the MIAD grip. Its comes with interchangeable backstraps to better fit your hand.

Yea mines way too angled forward and i makes it more difficult. I will def pick one up!

tonyxcom
03-06-2012, 9:43 AM
where should i buy the spare parts? how often do they need to be replaced?

You should be able to get them from where ever you get your complete upper.

It's not that any of the parts in the bolt carrier group need any regular scheduled replacement, but if any of the left hand specific parts (bolt carrier for sure) need replacement for any reason, they will be a little harder to come by (wont be able to borrow from a friend at the range or buy them from the LGS).

So you should just keep those spares on hand for yourself.

icenix
03-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Yea mines way too angled forward and i makes it more difficult. I will def pick one up!

On mine I have a Hogue pistol grip and I love it, super comfortable. I gripped it once and knew I had to have it, lol. That was $ I hadn't planned on spending.

icenix
03-06-2012, 11:39 AM

Nice gun!! Yeah, I like the handguard that we have, however, I wish I would have gone with the same length that you did. My bottom rail on mine can't go to the end of the handguard because there is no room to screw it on because the gas block gets in the way, so where my bipod is in that picture is as far forward as I can put it, and I would rather have it more towards the end of the gun :(

Okay, I am done thread jacking!