PDA

View Full Version : Which AK47 to get?

TreeHugger
03-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Planning on spending $550 to $750 on a traditional AK with a 45 slant removable brake, suggestions please.

Which one, or any others that are not on this list

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/data/default/images/catalog/small/IAC47WOOD.jpg
$579
Chrome lined barrel
AK47 Rifle Interarms IAC 47 Wood (http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct947.aspx)

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/data/default/images/catalog/small/IOSPORTERCLASSIC.jpg
$599
AK47 Rifle Sporter Classic IO Inc (http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct1057.aspx)

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/data/default/images/catalog/small/AK47CWS.jpg
$739
Chrome lined barrel
Russian AK47 Rifle Cold War Style (http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct1068.aspx)

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/data/default/images/catalog/small/AKTULA.jpg
$739
Chrome lined barrel
Polished & Electroless Nickel PLated Bolt carrier & Bolt
Tula Arsenal Marked AK 47 Rifle (http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct1067.aspx)

Or, should one splurge the extra and go for this one

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/data/default/images/catalog/small/RAK472012.jpg
$939
Chrome lined barrel
Polished & Electroless Nickel PLated Bolt carrier & Bolt
Russian RAK AK47 Rifle Red Classic (http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct655.aspx)

DasBoost
03-04-2012, 12:45 PM
Avoid IO like the plague, plain and simple, it's junk and nothing good has come from that company. I recommend the Interarms; IAC seems to have a nice balance of being higher quality than the WASRs but won't kill your wallet like an Arsenal. IACs are parts kit builds, not converted Saigas like the RAK or Cold War Style AK (See the two rivets above the pistol grip, sign of converted Saiga).

safewaysecurity
03-04-2012, 12:52 PM
Build your own. But if you had to choose of all of those I guess the Tula Marked one is good.

NorCalK9.com
03-04-2012, 12:53 PM
A yugo, tula, wasr, just dont get the io

MrPlink
03-04-2012, 1:04 PM
Tula marked would be cool.

I got a Tula krink kit stting around here somewhere. I swear I will build it one day!

doctor_vals
03-04-2012, 1:19 PM
1. Tula Arsenal Marked AK 47 Rifle $739
2. Russian RAK AK47 Rifle Red Classic $939
3. Russian AK47 Rifle Cold War Style $739

everything else -just crap

bighead
03-04-2012, 1:29 PM
I own an Interarms and it's been flawlees in every way thus far.Maybe someone else has read something different.

lil_jackal
03-04-2012, 1:35 PM
I.O. ALL THE WAY !!!! , is what i would've said if i was brain dead

13204u
03-04-2012, 1:40 PM
I.O. inc (inter ordnance) is different from I.A.C. (interarms corp). The former being junk, the later being substantially better.

Revolver Ocelot
03-04-2012, 1:49 PM
I dont see what so special about the Tukla one. The barrel and Receiver are still new US stuff, wouldnt pay that much just to have a tula mark on the rear trunnion.

atsaubrey
03-04-2012, 1:53 PM
Build your own in my opinion. $500 or less and you'll have full control over how well its made.

J.S.Riesch
03-04-2012, 1:58 PM
None, they all cold war era junk

CSACANNONEER
03-04-2012, 1:59 PM
Tula marked ones will be Saiga conversions. These rifles came into the. US as sporting rifles and have been REMANUFACTURED in the US. No matter how they are marked, they are legally MADE IN THE USA. They will not have mil spec front trunions and, some will not have mil spec chambers or barrels. That said, they will work the same as any other AK type rifle.

MrExel17
03-04-2012, 2:02 PM
+1 for Ansenal

TreeHugger
03-04-2012, 2:43 PM
Build your own.

Know of any good out of state stores with good pricing? Wouldn't mind building my own, sounds like fun.

Thanks

atsaubrey
03-04-2012, 2:46 PM
Know of any good out of state stores with good pricing? Wouldn't mind building my own, sounds like fun.

Thanks

Buy a parts kit. AKbuilder.com is the easiest way to go since the barrels will already be headspaced and populated.

Ruiner
03-04-2012, 2:47 PM
Tula marked ones will be Saiga conversions. These rifles came into the. US as sporting rifles and have been REMANUFACTURED in the US. No matter how they are marked, they are legally MADE IN THE USA. They will not have mil spec front trunions and, some will not have mil spec chambers or barrels. That said, they will work the same as any other AK type rifle.

What about the trunions make them non milspec?

atsaubrey
03-04-2012, 2:48 PM

Wrong. Izhmash produces the Saiga rifles currently imported.

therza2071
03-04-2012, 2:50 PM
Out of that bunch? Interarms.

atsaubrey
03-04-2012, 2:51 PM
None, they all cold war era junk

Give me a choice between my Steyr AUG, AR, or any of my AK type rifles if SHTF and I'm grabbing for my AK's. Your opinion and my opinion.

zfields
03-04-2012, 3:04 PM

Quoted from Atlantic.

Item# Tula Arsenal Marked AK 47 Rifle
Brand: AK47 Rifles
Send Link to a Friend

Tula Arsenal Marked AK 47 Rifle , 762 x 39 semi auto rifles built using Imported Bulgarian / Russian Tula Arsenal marked kits with enough US parts to make them 922R legal. Beautiful AK Rifles with fantastic fit & finish . They also sport a Nickel Plated Bolt and Carrier .These rifles are built under contract for Atlantic Firearms Private Label.

Looks like they are a kit build.

MrPlink
03-04-2012, 3:09 PM
Wrong. Izhmash produces the Saiga rifles currently imported.

thats what I was thinkin, but CSA is usually on the mark with AKs...

CSACANNONEER
03-04-2012, 4:53 PM
I stand corrected. Yep, brain fart. I was thinking Tula=Russian=Izhmash.

What about the trunions make them non milspec?

Saiga 7.62x39 front trunions ate not mil spec. They don't even have a bullet guide built in.

Ruiner
03-04-2012, 4:57 PM

Saiga 7.62x39 front trunions ate not mil spec. They don't even have a bullet guide built in.

Aside from the bullet guide, what makes them not milspec?

Revolver Ocelot
03-04-2012, 5:02 PM
Aside from the bullet guide, what makes them not milspec?

Thats it. And you can just add your own bullet guide. Its not very hard.

zfields
03-04-2012, 5:05 PM

Just curious, but aren't some of the Bulgarian rifles the bullet guide riveted in?

Ruiner
03-04-2012, 5:10 PM
Just curious, but aren't some of the Bulgarian rifles the bullet guide riveted in?

Late production Ak74s and the Ak100 series have their bullet guides riveted in as well. They also have that big rivet on the side that serves to rotate the bolt. My bulgrarian 74 also has a bullet guide riveted in. As far as I can tell, the Saigas have the same trunion as late production 74s and AK10x minus the bullet guide. Enlighten me if there is anything else that differentiates "mil spec" trunions from saiga trunions.

ZX-10R
03-04-2012, 5:15 PM
I own an Interarms and it's been flawlees in every way thus far.Maybe someone else has read something different.

This is the answer you are seeking. Go join an AK specific site and all of them if not most will agree with this statement.

The 6 who voted "none of the above junk" are really fishing for AK knowledge. :43:

atsaubrey
03-04-2012, 5:24 PM
To the OP. Buy a parts kit, you make the drive and I will help you build it. We'll compare what you build to a "built" off the self AK and then you can make your own post on which to buy.

FourLoko
03-04-2012, 6:05 PM
pretty bad list, voted for #1 though

Red Devil
03-04-2012, 6:23 PM
I'd spend $650.00 on the one cleverly disguised as a CMP Service Grade M1 Garand. :rolleyes:

TreeHugger
03-04-2012, 7:01 PM
To the OP. Buy a parts kit, you make the drive and I will help you build it. We'll compare what you build to a "built" off the self AK and then you can make your own post on which to buy.

Thanks for the offer and I would love to take a crash course to learn it (I love to learn new things, I'm the curious type, will even watch the cable guys working at my house). Without a crash course, seems I would have to spend a good amount of time figuring it out, which I do not have, am always working. Also, Visalia is 4 hrs away, too far for me.

An AR is easy to build, is AK the same? The things I noticed quickly on the ak parts site, is that I would need the tools for the receiver flat and barrel press, etc.. Not sure if they do offer it, but if I can get a finished receiver and barrel and just slap the rest together, that would make it easier.

Curious, by building one yourself, compared to buying one off the shelf, how much cheaper could one save up to, percentage wise?

zfields
03-04-2012, 7:41 PM
Ar's are assembling from prefit parts for the most part...

Ak's are a bit more involved.

MrPlink
03-04-2012, 7:57 PM
An AR is easy to build, is AK the same? T

not even close, it requires serious tools/machinery and knowledge

A complete rookie and correctly build an AR no problem with internet instructions and a few dollars worth of basic hand tools from the hardware store.

Keep in mind the AK from the get go was designed to mass manufactured, and the desired efficiency requires machinery not a bunch of hand fit parts.

NorCalK9.com
03-04-2012, 8:18 PM
@FUGASOFF
Stupidest comment ive read all day! Maybe even all week! Maybe all month? This year?

CSACANNONEER
03-04-2012, 8:26 PM
Actually, AKs are easier to MANUFACTURE. To manufacture an AR from an 80% receiver, one needs a mill, jigs and knowledge of machining. Any CHILD can manufacture an AK at a build party. I've watched/helped more than one minor manufacture their own rifle at BPs. It is not fair to compare completely assembling an AR from a completely manufactured stripped lower and using a preassenmbled upper to manufacturing a receiver and then building it into a firearm of any kind.

S470FM
03-04-2012, 11:26 PM
what's an AT?

MrPlink
03-04-2012, 11:47 PM
what's an AT?

pretty sure he meant AR...

but milling aside (which Ive done twice without the slightest background in machining) the AR is still a TON easier.

Dont get me wrong, Im still a bigger AK fan at the end of the day :D

Javi
03-04-2012, 11:57 PM
I had an Interarms ak-74 in my grasp but had to cancel due to my safe going on sale hehe. Planning on getting an Interarms AK-47 in the future. I know people say you don't need it but regardless: IAC has a liftetime warranty on your gun. You won't be spending a boat load of money on the rifle itself and you'll have left over for ammo. Not many peeps on here know about Interarms. The majority is Century Arms Wasr and Arsenal SGL's.

Ninjapilot
03-05-2012, 12:40 AM
So it is still legal in California to buy an AK47???:oji: AGAIN, please remember I'm new to the gun world and all I own is a Mossberg shortgun so far........but if it is still legal to buy this modified versions of the AK47 then I would like to buy one ASAP. I absolutely love these!!!!!

CSACANNONEER
03-05-2012, 4:13 AM
Damn touch talk.

nicoroshi
03-05-2012, 4:21 AM
So it is still legal in California to buy an AK47???:oji: AGAIN, please remember I'm new to the gun world and all I own is a Mossberg shortgun so far........but if it is still legal to buy this modified versions of the AK47 then I would like to buy one ASAP. I absolutely love these!!!!!

Yes :43:
Although I would rather build mine.

TreeHugger
03-05-2012, 6:00 AM
So it is still legal in California to buy an AK47???

Yes, just like an AR, throw a bullet button on there and you can have practically any so called evil features you want. But, even with a bullet button & a locked magazine, the mag can only hold 10 round max, if it's a high cap mag, just need to have a magblock in there to keep it at 10, if you can feed 11+ rnds into it, you are breaking the law.

CSACANNONEER
03-05-2012, 6:12 AM
Yes, just like an AR, throw a bullet button on there and you can have practically any so called evil features you want. But, even with a bullet button & a locked magazine, the mag can only hold 10 round max, if it's a high cap mag, just need to have a magblock in there to keep it at 10, if you can feed 11+ rnds into it, you are breaking the law.

Uh, this isn't exactly right. Please refer to the AW flowcharts instead of trying to paying attention to the above post.

The bottom line is that when talking about semi auto, centerfire, rifles, if it is named, it's banned. If it is not named, if it has any "evil features", it needs some sort of mag lock and one can only use 10 round or less mags with it. If it has no evil features, one can use any legally owned magazine with it as long as it DOES NOT have a mag lock on it. ANY any handgun or centerfire semi auto rifle with a fixed (including bullet buttoned and other mag locks) magazine is limited to no more than 10 rounds under the AW laws.

TreeHugger
03-05-2012, 6:30 AM
Uh, this isn't exactly right. Please refer to the AW flowcharts instead of trying to paying attention to the above post.

The bottom line is that when talking about semi auto, centerfire, rifles, if it is named, it's banned. If it is not named, if it has any "evil features", it needs some sort of mag lock and one can only use 10 round or less mags with it. If it has no evil features, one can use any legally owned magazine with it as long as it DOES NOT have a mag lock on it. ANY any handgun or centerfire semi auto rifle with a fixed (including bullet buttoned and other mag locks) magazine is limited to no more than 10 rounds under the AW laws.

Guess I mainly forgot to mention the important "centerfire, semi auto, named". But, forgetting is how you can end up breaking the law :eek:

When it comes to the mag itself, some newbie may think that it HAS to be a 10 rnd maximum, even unaltered. The clarification is that even if it's a 1000 rnd high cap, as long as it is PERMANENTLY altered to hold no more than 10 rnds, that'll work.

I was not talking about featureless.

Dhena81
03-05-2012, 8:46 AM

LOL welcome

Op that Russian RAK AK47 Rifle Red Classic is absolutely beautiful that's one AK I'd hate to scratch up.

TreeHugger
03-05-2012, 9:24 AM
Op that Russian RAK AK47 Rifle Red Classic is absolutely beautiful

That was my first impression also. I would definitely have to move my wife to the couch and replace the empty spot with that beauty :43:

Sicarius
03-05-2012, 9:47 AM
Also look into a Vector. They build a really nice AK.
Kevin

ns209
03-05-2012, 11:23 AM
I was thinking of a Arsenal sgl21 but after seen that Russian RAK I don't know :tt1:

ScottsBad
03-05-2012, 1:21 PM
Go to Riflegear, I think they still have the Arsenal SGL-21 for less than $800...

Get it and don't look back.
Cheers---

therza2071
03-05-2012, 1:37 PM
Go to Riflegear, I think they still have the Arsenal SGL-21 for less than $800...

Get it and don't look back.
Cheers---

Hard to believe that not 3 years ago, you could find SGL21's for five or six hundred bucks brand new.

NorCalK9.com
03-05-2012, 1:37 PM
Screw aresenal!

zfields
03-05-2012, 1:39 PM
Screw aresenal!

+1!

therza2071
03-05-2012, 1:58 PM
+1!

+1

I'd love to own one, but I don't appreciate their support of Harry Reid, nor do I support their price jacking practices, and they won't get a red cent from me.

$800 for a Saiga conversion? I'll have some of whatever you guys at Arsenal and K-Var are smoking.

CSACANNONEER
03-05-2012, 2:00 PM
Screw aresenal!

:jump:

TreeHugger
03-05-2012, 2:01 PM
Sh*t, trying to order an AK from Atlantic Firearms, but it's always an answering machine. Are they really be THAT busy????? Since it's so difficult to get a live person, if I do, makes me want to buy a truck load now.

zfields
03-05-2012, 2:04 PM
Sh*t, trying to order an AK from Atlantic Firearms, but it's always an answering machine. Are they really be THAT busy????? Since it's so difficult to get a live person, if I do, makes me want to buy a truck load now.

They are a few hours ahead of you....

ns209
03-05-2012, 2:07 PM
What ak you going for treehugger?

jeep7081
03-05-2012, 2:08 PM
delete

l0rdr0ck
03-05-2012, 2:09 PM
Build your own Yugo. Yugo is more stout.

TreeHugger
03-05-2012, 2:15 PM
Build your own Yugo. Yugo is more stout.

If I had more time, I would love to. As of now, I don't even have the time to change my underwear and it's already been over a month, working 24/7. Whatever spare time I do have, I rather go blow some sh*t up. Unless if I can slap one together in about 4 or 5 hours.

J.S.Riesch
03-05-2012, 2:50 PM
@FUGASOFF
Stupidest comment ive read all day! Maybe even all week! Maybe all month? This year?

Take it from the guy who spends most of his life in uniform with enough exposure to large amount of weaponry, AKs included ….Please accept my humble apology. It was not really my intention to be insulting. I was wrong, my comment is inappropriate. Let me rephrase myself….

…None, they all cold war era junk. :44:

atsaubrey
03-05-2012, 3:25 PM
Take it from the guy who spends most of his life in uniform with enough exposure to large amount of weaponry, AKs included ….Please accept my humble apology. It was not really my intention to be insulting. I was wrong, my comment is inappropriate. Let me rephrase myself….

You have your opinion no doubt. i will make one comment. I had a Marine sniper drive down from NorCal to build an AK with me. He mentioned that he had to have one after pulling them out of the sand in Iraq and Afghanistan and watch them go bang everytime. Cold war era junk, maybe but for reliabilty you wont find much that will run no matter the conditions. ;)

To the OP, as long as you stay away from I.O., you'll probably be fine with any of your choices but still recommend building your own.

kotton
03-05-2012, 3:38 PM

i loled:smilielol5:

J.S.Riesch
03-05-2012, 4:44 PM
You have your opinion no doubt. i will make one comment. I had a Marine sniper drive down from NorCal to build an AK with me. He mentioned that he had to have one after pulling them out of the sand in Iraq and Afghanistan and watch them go bang everytime. Cold war era junk, maybe but for reliabilty you wont find much that will run no matter the conditions. ;)..

Thanx. It’s all right. No harm done. To have one when SHTF, -yes. To have a relic of the cold war,-may be (it’s sort of cool :cool2:).To pay more then $350.00 for that,-f**k NO!!!
To you-it is a novelty item in your collection. To me-it was and still is a tool of my trade. If you trying to convince me other wise, you are doing a halfassed job at that. You ought to wake up and look around. It’s 2012, not 1947 anymore. Gotta say I'm partial to AKs, due to their long history of usage. Still they are outdated 50’s technology. And it’s just my opinion. So to each his own…Surrender. Resistance is futile.

P.S. You doing fine. Carry on. :patriot:

zfields
03-05-2012, 5:02 PM
Thanx. It’s all right. No harm done. To have one when SHTF, -yes. To have a relic of the cold war,-may be (it’s sort of cool :cool2:).To pay more then $350.00 for that,-f**k NO!!!
To you-it is a novelty item in your collection. To me-it was and still is a tool of my trade. If you trying to convince me other wise, you are doing a halfassed job at that. You ought to wake up and look around. It’s 2012, not 1947 anymore. Gotta say I'm partial to AKs, due to their long history of usage. Still they are outdated 50’s technology. And it’s just my opinion. So to each his own…Surrender. Resistance is futile.

P.S. You doing fine. Carry on. :patriot:

So we shouldn't be using AR platform weapons anymore either, or is the cut off the 1950s?

atsaubrey
03-05-2012, 5:14 PM
So we shouldn't be using AR platform weapons anymore either, or is the cut off the 1950s?

:rolleyes:

We should be looking a 1974. JEEZ. lol. Naw but really, I wouldnt care to go up against anything if SHTF, I know personally that my AK's would serve me well. :43:

J.S.Riesch
03-05-2012, 5:33 PM

Here we go. Comments like that melt my heart away… Bear with me zfields, you know better than that. Short answer is yes. Yes, buy/build and use it to your heart's content. Buy and use whatever you can afford and is legal in your jurisdiction. No, because you can buy/build something nicer and with all the present day technology upgrades. I read the question. I answered in an honest manner. To me they (AK’s), are outdated…That’s all.

zfields
03-05-2012, 5:37 PM
I read the question. I answered in an honest manner. To me they (AK’s), are outdated…That’s all.

No, what you did was interjected in a thread just to crap on it.

Big difference.

FWIW I could give a crap less what people use, AR, AK, SCAR, ACR, whatever, as long as it gets the job done for you, awesome.

TreeHugger
03-05-2012, 5:38 PM
If it ever comes a time where I won't be able to easily clean my rifle and I have to choose between an AR or AK, I think I would go with the AK, the loose tolerance is definitely a plus to keep it banging along, practically no matter what. Yeah, the standard AK design is old tech, but still effective and reliable enough to trust my life with. It's ok to have your own preference, this is SUPPOSED to be a free country, or is it???

J.S.Riesch
03-05-2012, 5:57 PM
No, what you did was interjected in a thread just to crap on it.

Big difference.

FWIW I could give a crap less what people use, AR, AK, SCAR, ACR, whatever, as long as it gets the job done for you, awesome.

???

peppermintman
03-06-2012, 4:12 AM
Build your own. But if you had to choose of all of those I guess the Tula Marked one is good.

I will agree with that selection too. Tell me if I'm wrong... Russian, Bulgarian.Hungarian,Yugo then Polish??? Never mind the rest of domestic AK's. I'm still waiting for Atlantic to have that one model AK back.

TreeHugger
03-06-2012, 5:02 AM
How much would you say this is overpriced by, compared to building something comparable? Unable to access ak-builders.com to check

Russian RAK AK47 Rifle Red Classic $939
(http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct655.aspx)

I noticed some stores showing furniture for Romanian, Yugo, etc. and some just AK47. Is furniture not one size fits all?

dbo31
03-06-2012, 5:50 AM
Here we go. Comments like that melt my heart away… Bear with me zfields, you know better than that. Short answer is yes. Yes, buy/build and use it to your heart's content. Buy and use whatever you can afford and is legal in your jurisdiction. No, because you can buy/build something nicer and with all the present day technology upgrades. I read the question. I answered in an honest manner. To me they (AK’s), are outdated…That’s all.

And yet they're still used on pretty much every battlefield in the world today. As a fellow Marine I'm surprised at the lack of respect for the Ak. AK's are simple and if you were in the military you should know all about KISS

chead
03-06-2012, 6:03 AM
How much would you say this is overpriced by, compared to building something comparable? Unable to access ak-builders.com to check

Russian RAK AK47 Rifle Red Classic $939
(http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct655.aspx)

I noticed some stores showing furniture for Romanian, Yugo, etc. and some just AK47. Is furniture not one size fits all?

It's a little more than you'd pay for an Arsenal. They're both based on the same rifle and use the same receiver. The Russian Red has some nice furniture but that's about it. The Russian receiver is a draw for some folks, and it commands a little higher price.

Sturnovik
03-06-2012, 8:25 AM
Saiga. I wish I hadnt got rid of it and had the time and money to convert it. It wasnt to bad but was working quite a bit when I had it.

NorCalK9.com
03-06-2012, 9:06 AM
@FUGASOF
Bud just cause you wear a uniform all you life why would you hate a tool? Cause your statements and reasoning make no sense!
Tell us how you really feel about afghanis? Cause its a human being using the rifle!
My AK's ak47's ak74's crap all over AR's!
3 years ago a CHEVY truck killed my cousin in a car accident, do I hate chevy's hmmm I have 3!
Good luck to you bud

MKMS
03-06-2012, 9:36 AM
I'm glad you made this thread op. I too am looking for a ak. I don't know anything about ak except that I want one. I'm learning a lot. Thanks.

TreeHugger
03-06-2012, 11:06 AM
I'm glad you made this thread op. I too am looking for a ak. I don't know anything about ak except that I want one. I'm learning a lot. Thanks.

That's cool. AK has such a simple design, takes about 5 minutes to clean, and the look, it's like the beauty and the beast. I ordered the Larue OBR and waiting for the new Sig Sauer SIG716, these two will stay in their cases. But, the AK will hang on the wall, it's useful and very decorative.

kotton
03-06-2012, 11:23 AM
That's cool. AK has such a simple design, takes about 5 minutes to clean, and the look, it's like the beauty and the beast. I ordered the Larue OBR and waiting for the new Sig Sauer SIG716, these two will stay in their cases. But, the AK will hang on the wall, it's useful and very decorative.

whats so useful about an AK hanging on the wall?

chead
03-06-2012, 11:29 AM

I hate to go there but I have legit just embarrassed shooters at the range with a '74. They are incredibly versatile rifles. The worst you can say about them is they're marginally heavier than other rifles chambered for intermediate calibers and some folks don't like the sighting system. They aren't "better" than an AR, they are different. But I happen to like the AK system a lot more.

TreeHugger
03-06-2012, 12:00 PM
whats so useful about an AK hanging on the wall?

I'm 8 feet tall

The War Wagon
03-06-2012, 12:07 PM
Yugo M70B? Wish I had one to go with my M70AB. Or my old Norinco Polytech back. :(

J.S.Riesch
03-06-2012, 12:38 PM
@FUGASOF
Bud just cause you wear a uniform all you life why would you hate a tool? Cause your statements and reasoning make no sense!
Tell us how you really feel about afghanis? Cause its a human being using the rifle!
3 years ago a CHEVY truck killed my cousin in a car accident, do I hate chevy's hmmm I have 3!
Good luck to you bud

Thank you dad.

NorCalK9.com
03-06-2012, 12:52 PM
You are very welcome sir!

gesundheit
03-06-2012, 12:55 PM

This is the reason why I will only buy AK12.

TreeHugger
03-06-2012, 1:25 PM

Found this educational site about what is a good or bad AK, long read, I just glanced thru it so far. Thought it might be helpful to you.

http://www.ak47world.com/

http://www.ak47world.com/rifles.html

J.S.Riesch
03-06-2012, 1:36 PM
Found this educational site about what is a good or bad AK, long read, I just glanced thru it so far. Thought it might be helpful to you.

Here is more…

http://www.gunreports.com/special_reports/special_purpose/SAR-1-M70AB2T-NORINCO-NHM91-SSR85-XTREME-AT-471932-1.html

peppermintman
03-06-2012, 1:55 PM
I dont see what so special about the Tukla one. The barrel and Receiver are still new US stuff, wouldnt pay that much just to have a tula mark on the rear trunnion.

Go toAtlantic's website and zoom on the lower receiver. Do I see Saiga and other markings? No need to upgrade AK like those guys dumping their Romanian's.

peppermintman
03-06-2012, 1:58 PM
Build your own in my opinion. $500 or less and you'll have full control over how well its made.

Why not consider a Yugo???

peppermintman
03-06-2012, 2:03 PM
Yugo M70B? Wish I had one to go with my M70AB. Or my old Norinco Polytech back. :(

I like the idea of owning an imported receiver. Maybe next buy will be the Yugo with that beefy receiver.

NorCalK9.com
03-06-2012, 5:38 PM
I'd definitely go YUGO!!!!!!

MKMS
03-06-2012, 8:40 PM
Here is more…

http://www.gunreports.com/special_reports/special_purpose/SAR-1-M70AB2T-NORINCO-NHM91-SSR85-XTREME-AT-471932-1.html

Thanks guys I got a lot of reading to do! :)

MKMS
03-06-2012, 8:43 PM

Thanks TreeHugger!

Bobby Ricigliano
03-07-2012, 8:38 AM
AK builds certainly seem to vary in quality. Definitely some lemons out there. For those who dismiss entire lines of manufacturers as junk, please cite your extensive personal experience with those brands that caused you to form those opinions.

Or are you just parroting what you heard or read somewhere?

Hologon
03-07-2012, 11:14 AM
For around $700 you might want to consider one of these:

http://www.hendersondefense.com/store/pc/Century-MILLED-Certified-AK47-50p79.htm

They distributed by Century, but they're made by About Time Machining. The fit and finish is quite good, and the actions are super smooth (as you'd expect from a nice milled receiver gun). They're very nice shooters, but if you're looking for something that's close to a real type 3 AK47, you might want to be aware of the following cosmetic differences:

- the lightening cuts on the side of the receiver were obviously made using a mill versus a keyway cutter
- there's a circular hole at the bottom of the receiver (needed to install the bullet guide - real AKs have that area milled out with a cover that's pressed in place). A cleaning rod for a milled AK won't fit (needs to be cut down about 1-2" to fit)
- the stock tangs at the rear of the receiver are welded on

I really like mine, and the general opinion of other internet commandos is they're good guns.

MKMS
03-07-2012, 2:22 PM
Do you guys know any good all black modern ak 47s?

Sorry to ask, iono if I can piggy back on this thread. Im still new!

zfields
03-07-2012, 2:32 PM
check out all the new M-10 AKs. New romanian production.

bighead
03-07-2012, 2:45 PM
So a gun designed in 1947 is outdated.Astute observation, you must be a professor of logic.AK's are absolutely not junk, and if they were they certainly wouldn't have lasted this long.Your assertion is full of fail.

chead
03-07-2012, 3:42 PM
I'd definitely go YUGO!!!!!!

Same. I wish I had a milled Yugo.

Capybara
03-07-2012, 4:32 PM
I want a .223 AK, but not sure what I should get. This thread has been a good read, lots of good research out there to do. I want wood furniture, I want it relatively inexpensive (isn't buying a $1,000.00 to $2,000.00 AK sort of an anachronism?).

If you know of one that meets these criteria, let me know, I know very little about AKs.

Dan

zfields
03-07-2012, 4:33 PM
I want a .223 AK, but not sure what I should get. This thread has been a good read, lots of good research out there to do. I want wood furniture, I want it relatively inexpensive (isn't buying a $1,000.00 to $2,000.00 AK sort of an anachronism?).

If you know of one that meets these criteria, let me know, I know very little about AKs.

Dan

Convert a Saiga.

Beware, 223's tend to have some issues with FTF's

peppermintman
03-07-2012, 6:13 PM
A yugo, tula, wasr, just dont get the io

WASR ??????

peppermintman
03-07-2012, 6:14 PM
Tula marked would be cool.

I got a Tula krink kit stting around here somewhere. I swear I will build it one day!

It does say made in Russia if that's what you want

NorCalK9.com
03-07-2012, 6:59 PM
WASR ??????

The WASR is a GREAT rifle! dont let none of the nay sayers tell you otherwise!

TreeHugger
03-07-2012, 8:07 PM
What ak you going for treehugger?

For now, I'm seriously considering the Russian Red, seems a bit overpriced, but I don't have time to build one myself or do the conversion. I also thought about the AK74, but the AK47 ammo should be way easier to find, if the SHTF :eek: I called and asked atlanticfirearms some questions, everything sounded good so far.

Which one are you eyeing, if any?

TreeHugger
03-07-2012, 8:10 PM
The WASR is a GREAT rifle! dont let none of the nay sayers tell you otherwise!

What about the WASR-10? Quality sounds like a hit and miss, seems like a lot of people has feeding and trigger slap issues with some of them.

Javi
03-07-2012, 8:28 PM
They say it's important to look over their rifle before buying it. When they're built fine, they're suppose to run great. I hate their warranty where it's, I believe, one year from the day it leaves their warehouse, not from the day you take it home. Doubt you'd have much warranty issues to begin with since it's an AK haha but if they goofed up and the warranty is over, your kind of screwed there.

ns209
03-07-2012, 8:47 PM
For now, I'm seriously considering the Russian Red, seems a bit overpriced, but I don't have time to build one myself or do the conversion. I also thought about the AK74, but the AK47 ammo should be way easier to find, if the SHTF :eek: I called and asked atlanticfirearms some questions, everything sounded good so far.

My friend has a arsenal sgl31 and I really like it, shoots good, looks good. So I think im getting the sgl21

J.S.Riesch
03-07-2012, 9:09 PM
AK builds certainly seem to vary in quality. Definitely some lemons out there. For those who dismiss entire lines of manufacturers as junk, please cite your extensive personal experience with those brands that caused you to form those opinions.

Or are you just parroting what you heard or read somewhere?

Well, nice try Bobby….

http://s19.postimage.org/p2zajg9xv/images_CAPP97_U9.jpg :cool:

MKMS
03-07-2012, 9:32 PM
check out all the new M-10 AKs. New romanian production.

Dang I just saw the m10 762 ak47. That one looks good. Plus its going to be my first rifle so the cost is good too. thanks for the find!

BigBoyPinoy
03-07-2012, 9:45 PM
Get a yugo! Just DROS this CIA M70ab2 from another member today for $600, definitely can see the difference from other AKs, also have a SG21 and WASR 10/63 UF.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/sleepsnoors/IMG293.jpg

ZX-10R
03-08-2012, 6:16 AM
What about the WASR-10? Quality sounds like a hit and miss, seems like a lot of people has feeding and trigger slap issues with some of them.

Good to go. Hope you joined an AK specific site.

Don't believe everything you read on the web.

zfields
03-08-2012, 6:28 AM

You have spent more time reading and posting in this thread then it would have taken to convert a saiga....

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk

TreeHugger
03-08-2012, 7:07 AM
You have spent more time reading and posting in this thread then it would have taken to convert a saiga....

Got my wife doing the research for me, I don't have time for that stuff :43:

NorCalK9.com
03-08-2012, 8:02 AM
Wasr's
Feeding issues? BS!
Trigger slap? Never heard that one before, must be an arsenal sgl guy saying that lol.
The biggest issue with wasrs is canted front site which is an EASY fix!

TreeHugger
03-08-2012, 8:19 AM
Spoke to Tapco regarding their G2 triggers, the guy claims that the trigger slap MAY happen with some of the original triggers from some of the imported guns. I don't know much about AK and don't personally know someone that does, so like most others, the only thing I can do is read the net stuff, and if I'm unsure about the accuracy of those claims, that's why I asked around.

NorCalK9.com
03-08-2012, 8:25 AM
@treehegger
I know bud, when I first got into AK's I went thru the same thing.

TreeHugger
03-08-2012, 2:38 PM

For now, no more research & AK for me (but my wife still wants one), because a week ago, I got a Larue OBR 16" 7.62 and today the OBR 16" 5.56, I still need to accessorize them. Yeah, I spend way to much time reading up stuff (OCD) :cool:

ZX-10R
03-10-2012, 11:24 PM
Such a waste of time thread on AKs. Shows little knowledge on Calguns about the topic.