PDA

View Full Version : Cabelas Herters 223 = Tula?

smog7
03-04-2012, 11:52 AM
Is this stuff basically remarked tula ammo?

MrPlink
03-04-2012, 11:57 AM
Yes

68Datsun510
03-04-2012, 11:57 AM
Tula or ulyanosk, yep.

zfields
03-04-2012, 12:01 PM
the .223 is tula IIRC.

The 762x39 is Uly, which is great stuff.

I'm heading to cabelas either tonight, or tomorrow, I can check if you like which headstamp is wearing lately.

smog7
03-04-2012, 12:06 PM
thanks for the quick responses guys. I'm going to order some online right now.

22 cents a round shipped is pretty damn good!

http://www.slickguns.com/product/herters-223-rem-55-or-62-gr-fmj-or-hp-1000-rounds-199-or-175-free-shipping

railroader
03-04-2012, 4:35 PM
thanks for the quick responses guys. I'm going to order some online right now.

22 cents a round shipped is pretty damn good!

http://www.slickguns.com/product/herters-223-rem-55-or-62-gr-fmj-or-hp-1000-rounds-199-or-175-free-shipping

Thanks for the tip. I just ordered 500 rounds. Mark

Solidsnake87
03-04-2012, 8:07 PM
Please be careful using Herter's in an AR-15!

The stuff locked up two of my ARs so bad I had to dismantle the uppers to remove the spent casings. After locking up the first rifle, I thought it was just due to a tight chamber. When it locked up the second rifle, I knew the ammo was the issue.

By lock up, I mean that the chamber stayed closed after firing and now matter how hard you pulled the charging handle, the bolt group would not unlock to release the case. These were not fancy rifles but plinker ARs.

I think they make the steel case oversized, which is a tight fit in AR chambers (which are already tight to start with). I'm sure its great for AKs, I would just hate to see anyone go through what I did. I had the tools to fix the issue myself, but I'm sure many of you guys don't build/dissasemble uppers. It was a major headache for me, so I imagine it would be a nightmare for many of you.

Bulleh
03-05-2012, 4:54 AM
Please be careful using Herter's in an AR-15!

The stuff locked up two of my ARs so bad I had to dismantle the uppers to remove the spent casings. After locking up the first rifle, I thought it was just due to a tight chamber. When it locked up the second rifle, I knew the ammo was the issue.

By lock up, I mean that the chamber stayed closed after firing and now matter how hard you pulled the charging handle, the bolt group would not unlock to release the case. These were not fancy rifles but plinker ARs.

I think they make the steel case oversized, which is a tight fit in AR chambers (which are already tight to start with). I'm sure its great for AKs, I would just hate to see anyone go through what I did. I had the tools to fix the issue myself, but I'm sure many of you guys don't build/dissasemble uppers. It was a major headache for me, so I imagine it would be a nightmare for many of you.

Almost bought me 1k of these. Thanks for posting. I think ill just pony up the difference and get PMC.

wsmc27
03-05-2012, 8:58 AM
:confused::confused::confused:

We ran a couple hundred rounds of Tula in a class a few weeks ago in an AR and had not one issue at all.

Is possible the Herters is a little different somehow??

M_lizar
03-05-2012, 9:31 AM
I ran about 50 rounds of tula. Only problem I have with tula is my bolt doesn't stay open when the last round is shot. I'm pretty sure it has to do how weak the round is.