PDA

View Full Version : A Few Recoil Observations

Phil3
03-04-2012, 10:16 AM
I was at my local range yesterday (Chabot Gun Club, NorCal) and had the opportunity to shoot a wide variety of rifles. For those wondering what some of the extreme stuff does, here are my $0.02.

All observations are shooting from a bench, so my body really did not move after firing (as it would if standing). As a baseline, my 12.8 lb. target AR15 in 223 is not at all punishing to shoot. But, my friends relatively light AR15 in 50 caliber Beowulf is another matter. That gets your attention. It was using a Magpul PRS stock as I recall, and short barrel. Five rounds of that was enough and my shoulder is sore today, no doubt due to this gun.

Next up was a Savage 10/110BA in 338 Lapua Mag. This has a muzzle brake. I fired two rounds of $6/shot ammo. Harder hitting than the 223 for sure, but notably less than the 50 Beowulf. The 338 is powerful, but the weight of the gun (everything on this gun is BIG) and the muzzle brake make it possible to shoot for a whie.

I always wanted a 338 LM, and will have one, knowing I can shoot it without having to put an ice pack on my shoulder.

Phil

dfletcher
03-04-2012, 4:04 PM
I appreciate a good brake on a rifle intended for accuracy work, especially for prolonged shooting. The 338 LM isn't all that terrible without the brake. I wouldn't want to spend all day sending 300 grain bullets downrange, but a box or two is not too bad.

MrPlink
03-04-2012, 4:07 PM
were you shooting the 50beo from the bench or standing?

03-04-2012, 4:13 PM
Sounds like a fun session to me.

Phil3
03-04-2012, 8:05 PM
were you shooting the 50beo from the bench or standing?

Sitting at the bench. - Phil

wtkaiser
03-04-2012, 8:06 PM
I'm a wimp, I admit it. You couldn't get me to shoot a .338 LM. Then again, my shoulders are still lined up correctly with my torso. They're not facing east when I am walking north. I don't understand the fascination with really big guns, but that's just me. But I do respect the heck out of these guys who, apparently routinely, shoot at 600 yards and further. Their optics must be outstanding, their calculators/computers must be fast, and their wives must be rather tolerant that Junior's first year tuition is tied up in that rifle.

Phil3
03-06-2012, 1:49 PM
The 338 Lapua Mag was not that bad and not has hard as expected. And I am not that tolerant of heavy recoil. I am sure the sizable muzzle brake and weight of the rifle had much to do with taming it. The recoil of this gun was much less of a step up from a friend's 308 Remington 5R than the 308 was to a 223. My point is that if you can handle the recoil of a lightweight 308 with no recoil pad on the stock, you could probably handle the 338LM with muzzle brake and good heft in the gun.

Phil

freonr22
03-06-2012, 1:53 PM
http://www.pachmayr.com/home/F990.php ?

wtkaiser
03-06-2012, 8:50 PM
And I am sure anybody on the line with you really appreciated that muzzle brake! They are fabulous for recoil and eternally damned for noise.

Phil3
03-07-2012, 9:41 AM
And I am sure anybody on the line with you really appreciated that muzzle brake! They are fabulous for recoil and eternally damned for noise.

My wife was at the next bench over looking through the spotting and I told her to move. She did, but stood near the bench, and did not find it too bad. Of course, she and I do wear ear plugs AND Peltor ear muffs. The same gun has been known for blowing over a spotting scope on a neighboring bench. It is loud, but as a shooter, found it fine. But yes, according to others, it IS loud!

Phil

L4D
03-07-2012, 9:57 AM
12.8 pound AR in .223? What is on that puppy?

tuna quesadilla
03-07-2012, 10:43 AM
12.8 pound AR in .223? What is on that puppy?

T'aint hard to achieve that kind of weight when you go to the 20+" extended barrels, HBAR of course, heavy target stock like a PRS or UBR, full/extended length free float handguard, bipod, scope, etc etc...

wtkaiser
03-07-2012, 3:54 PM
I saw a standard 25-06 give a woman s bloody nose standing even with the muzzle, and she was a stand or two away. I routinely shoot as you say, with plugs and muffs, because I only have one working ear left. Gotta take care of it.

tuna quesadilla
03-07-2012, 4:01 PM

Muzzle brakes are a part of shooting. If somebody really can't tolerate the noise of a muzzle brake, perhaps they would be better off with airsoft?