PDA

View Full Version : Boot & Neck Knives Legal?

doubledgarage
03-04-2012, 12:47 AM
Is it legal to conceal and wear a boot or neck knife?

Something like this: http://www.coldsteel.com/samase.html

I have couple of folders as my EDC knives. However, I wouldn't mind a neck knife as a backup or for discrete situations.

nokarma
03-04-2012, 1:12 AM
Do not conceal any fixed blade knife in Ca.
NoKarma

doubledgarage
03-04-2012, 1:29 AM
Fail. :(

Thanks for confirming.

Andy Taylor
03-04-2012, 6:22 AM
It is illegal to conceal a fixed blade knife anywhere in CA.
In most of CA it is legal to carry a fixed blade knife openly. Check local laws before doing so.
IANAL.

notme92069
03-04-2012, 6:26 AM
What about transporting?

Carnivore
03-04-2012, 7:42 AM
What about transporting?

Safest stance to take is pretend it is a unloaded hand gun and the open carry ban never happened. Open in plain view ok, concealed at all not good. Double edged knives have their own set of issues too.

http://www.ninehundred.com/~equalccw/knifelaw.html (http://www.ninehundred.com/~equalccw/knifelaw.html)good info here..

Librarian
03-04-2012, 10:50 AM
What about transporting?

Safest stance to take is pretend it is a unloaded hand gun and the open carry ban never happened. Open in plain view ok, concealed at all not good. Double edged knives have their own set of issues too.

http://www.ninehundred.com/~equalccw/knifelaw.html (http://www.ninehundred.com/~equalccw/knifelaw.html)good info here..

If by 'issues' you mean 'their own set of rumor-driven myths', you are correct.

See the link to knife laws, below.

doubledgarage
03-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Thanks again Calguns for being a definitive reference!

Munk
03-04-2012, 12:40 PM
Like they said: No concealment.

If your neck knife is obvious as a knife, and can't fall behind your clothing, or inside your shirt, then you aren't concealing it.

You're really better off with a folder.

Bobby Hated
03-04-2012, 2:07 PM
you can wear it on top of your shirt

rugershooter
03-04-2012, 2:13 PM

PC cite for that? I've heard countless people say that, yet not one of them has produced a PC cite. :rolleyes:

Like they said: No concealment.

If your neck knife is obvious as a knife, and can't fall behind your clothing, or inside your shirt, then you aren't concealing it.

You're really better off with a folder.

That's generally true, unless you're willing to deal with the potential of running into people (regular citizens and cops) who don't know the law. Although, I do regularly carry a fixed blade- double edged, BTW- and have never had any issues doing so.

DisgruntledReaper
03-04-2012, 6:38 PM
thank you for this, clears up stuff and AGAIN proves that we mere CITIZENS are NOT allowed to be a ble to protect ourselves when the attack come hard and fast.. ' wait a minute I need to open my folder knife:facepalm::banghead::puke: but leo,crooks,and probably the untouchable politicians and 'others' who runs this god forsaken land can pretty much do what they want...

Munk
03-04-2012, 7:11 PM
thank you for this, clears up stuff and AGAIN proves that we mere CITIZENS are NOT allowed to be a ble to protect ourselves when the attack come hard and fast.. ' wait a minute I need to open my folder knife:facepalm::banghead::puke: but leo,crooks,and probably the untouchable politicians and 'others' who runs this god forsaken land can pretty much do what they want...

I have a spring-assist folder (Buck Rush) that I love. However, it's a smooth edge, if you want serration, get the next model over.

There is no "wait a minute".

It's *click*, now my knife's open.

j.hors
03-04-2012, 7:26 PM

Ak-47 from cold steel, it is designed to open when you pull it out of your pocket. had mine for 3 years now and its the one i carry with me daily.
http://www.coldsteel.com/ak-47.html
they have a few that open the same way just a different design

Zues
03-05-2012, 7:55 AM
The Rajah 2 by cold steel is one of the knifes they have that opens as you pull it out of your pocket. Iv had mine for 2 years and it is my everyday carry knife.

BlindRacer
03-05-2012, 9:24 AM
I'd carry a fixed blade boot knife if it were legal...in addition to my edc/defence folder in my pocket.

I'll add in the Kershaw blur line of knives. Very fast assisted opener, with a decent blade length. Could do a lot worse.

Knife laws seem to be as convoluted as gun laws, and I think may be more misunderstood by cops. However, they probably don't see them as much of a threat as guns...just my opinion. I don't risk trying to carry a fixed blade for those reasons, or I definitely would.

Find yourself a good assisted opener, or practice with a manual opener...a good smooth, well balanced, manual opener. With practice, they'll be as fast as auto knives, and be in the action, nearly as fast as a fixed blade.

mtptwo
03-05-2012, 2:14 PM
The Rajah 2 by cold steel is one of the knifes they have that opens as you pull it out of your pocket. Iv had mine for 2 years and it is my everyday carry knife.

Doesn't that fall under switchblades?

Decoligny
03-05-2012, 2:28 PM

No, a switchblade is a knife that opens with just the push of a button. It has a mechanism that opens the blade, usually a spring.

The Rajah II has a little nub on the top of the blade that can catch onto the top edge of the pocket, and you open the knife by pulling the knife against the snag of the pocket.

mdimeo
03-05-2012, 2:30 PM

If it's got a spring to keep it closed, and you open it by pressing on the blade or a stud fixed to the blade, then no.

ubet
03-05-2012, 3:02 PM
emerson knives ftw.

MASTERLAB
03-05-2012, 3:36 PM
Zero tolorance also has some nice spring assisted folders

gun toting monkeyboy
03-05-2012, 4:20 PM

:rofl2: Decaf, man. Decaf. If an attack is coming in that fast, you aren't going to be able to get a boot knife or a neck knife out in time anyway. And with the newer assisted opening knives, or knives with anything like the Emerson WAVE feature on them, they are open long before you have even gotten into the guard position anyway. The knife laws are actually pretty good in this state. Far better than our gun laws. Baring local quirks, you can get away with a folding Katana if you want to. Take a deep breath and relax. I have had to use a knife exactly one time to avoid a confrontation. And it was an old fashoined one hand, unassisted opener. I had plenty of time to reach into my pocket, pull it out, and flick it open. The troll saw it and headed the other way. Nobody else that I was with saw anything, and we just kept walking. Had I had to stop and reach down into a boot, or stuff my hand under my shirt, it would have been much more obvious. And the troll would have had that much more time to figure out what I was doing and react. As it was, he saw I was suddenly armed, and decided to entertain his options elsewhere. Tell me how a fixed blade would have worked better than that? Now add in the assiste openers and waves. The second your hand clears your pocket, you have a blade out. And no felony charge for carrying concealed. :rolleyes:

-Mb

Blaze Kenobi
03-05-2012, 7:03 PM
So is carrying a fixed blade in its sheath inside a backpack considered illegal or just when u have it next to your body?

Decoligny
03-05-2012, 7:19 PM
So is carrying a fixed blade in its sheath inside a backpack considered illegal or just when u have it next to your body?

Technically, if it is concealed in the bag, and you are carrying the bag, then you are carrying a concealed dirk or dagger on your person.

In reality, I would say it would depend on the totality of the situation as to whether a cop hassled you. If you are returning from a weekend of backwoods camping and your camp knife is in your backpack, probably not an issue. If you are on your way to class on a college campus not so much a free ride.

arfan66
03-05-2012, 10:12 PM
Funny, I can legally carry a handgun concealed (CHL) but not a 2" fixed blade :(

mdimeo
03-06-2012, 9:25 AM
Funny, I can carry a handgun concealed but not a 2" fixed blade :(

Lots of weird stuff in California law. It's a worse crime to carry a pointy stick than a loaded, concealed firearm (most of the time).

HBrebel
03-06-2012, 9:45 AM
:rofl2: Decaf, man. Decaf. If an attack is coming in that fast, you aren't going to be able to get a boot knife or a neck knife out in time anyway. And with the newer assisted opening knives, or knives with anything like the Emerson WAVE feature on them, they are open long before you have even gotten into the guard position anyway. The knife laws are actually pretty good in this state. Far better than our gun laws. Baring local quirks, you can get away with a folding Katana if you want to. Take a deep breath and relax. I have had to use a knife exactly one time to avoid a confrontation. And it was an old fashoined one hand, unassisted opener. I had plenty of time to reach into my pocket, pull it out, and flick it open. The troll saw it and headed the other way. Nobody else that I was with saw anything, and we just kept walking. Had I had to stop and reach down into a boot, or stuff my hand under my shirt, it would have been much more obvious. And the troll would have had that much more time to figure out what I was doing and react. As it was, he saw I was suddenly armed, and decided to entertain his options elsewhere. Tell me how a fixed blade would have worked better than that? Now add in the assiste openers and waves. The second your hand clears your pocket, you have a blade out. And no felony charge for carrying concealed. :rolleyes:

-Mb
True. unless one is highly trained in knife combat and does regular practice, you most likely will not have time to go for your knife first. Most attacks will come as a total surprise or have more than one bad guy involved. I would suggest buying a few different styles of weapon and carry according to your situation. There are a few smaller fixed blade knives that look more utilitarian than like a weapon. I use a CRKT fixed blade in a black, rectangular kydex sheath for open carry, a belt sheath for my Buck folder, and I have several pocket clip styles. Those extending batons seem like a good tool as well, I may pick one up

Librarian
03-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Those extending batons seem like a good tool as well, I may pick one up

Not legal in CA, unfortunately - they get classed with saps and billys - PC 22210, mere possession is a wobbler.

That's the section that gets people to carry a glove and ball along with their baseball bat.

Decoligny
03-06-2012, 10:31 AM
True. unless one is highly trained in knife combat and does regular practice, you most likely will not have time to go for your knife first. Most attacks will come as a total surprise or have more than one bad guy involved. I would suggest buying a few different styles of weapon and carry according to your situation. There are a few smaller fixed blade knives that look more utilitarian than like a weapon. I use a CRKT fixed blade in a black, rectangular kydex sheath for open carry, a belt sheath for my Buck folder, and I have several pocket clip styles. Those extending batons seem like a good tool as well, I may pick one up

The expanding baton will get you arrested here in CA, and a conviction will land you in jail for a period not to exceed 1 year.

It is considered a "billy" under PC 22210

This is why I just stick to carrying my oak cane. I have a documented disability (knee and ankle), so carrying a cane is strictly a medical necessity. I do however adhere to the philosophy that everything and anything can be used as a weapon if the opportunity requires it. I also have my LTC, so if I have to use my cane it will simply be as a momentary distraction.

marausch
09-14-2015, 2:42 PM
There is an intent clause covering billies. I used to keep a miniature Louisville slugger in my car until I reread the penile code (Yeah, I know I misspelled it. Lighten up.). Since it was obvious that the only reason to carry that in my car was as a billie, I took it out of the car. I do however keep a 3- D-Cell Maglite to be sure I can always see in the dark.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

wolfwood
09-14-2015, 2:55 PM
Not legal in CA, unfortunately - they get classed with saps and billys - PC 22210, mere possession is a wobbler.

That's the section that gets people to carry a glove and ball along with their baseball bat.

That is a lawsuit I'd get behind. I know a lot of people that would carry batons if they were not banned. I trained kali and Arnis for years. Many of the guys I do jiu jitsu with would rather carry a baton over a handgun or they'd like to carry both so that they have a non-lethal option.

Librarian
09-14-2015, 4:26 PM
2012 thread closed.

CA law questions mostly go to the post-2012 forum I have emphasized in my signature.