PDA

View Full Version : Buffer tube/kits. Worth extra $$??

straightshot
03-03-2012, 2:58 PM
I wanted to bring up a subject that is not discussed as much as other factors that may come into play when building an AR.

Im looking to put a mil spec buffer kit onto a mid length LMT complete rifle. I want to definitely reduce felt recoil to allow for quicker follow up shots (in addition to a battle comp). However, I don't want to use one of those weird hydraulic buffer systems because I am not looking to reduce the ROF.
I don't mind spending the extra money on some of those "enhanced or premium" buffer kits, but honestly, is it even worth it?

Thanks in advance!

702Shooter
03-03-2012, 3:57 PM
IMHO, a good buffer system is absolutely worth every penny.

So far, the best combination I have found is the PWS Enhanced Buffer Tube in combination with the J.P. Silent Capture Spring.

http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=214&idcategory=21

http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.7.2_os.php

straightshot
03-04-2012, 12:27 AM
IMHO, a good buffer system is absolutely worth every penny.

So far, the best combination I have found is the PWS Enhanced Buffer Tube in combination with the J.P. Silent Capture Spring.

http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=214&idcategory=21

http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.7.2_os.php

thanks! I appreciate your answer! What are your thoughts on the JP Low Mass Buffer systems?

Arkangel
03-04-2012, 9:04 AM
I don't mind spending the extra money on some of those "enhanced or premium" buffer kits, but honestly, is it even worth it?

Thanks in advance!

IMHO.... No.

Not for a plinking or combat/duty weapon. If its a 3 gun rifle, then maybe. I am not a competition shooter, so having every possible edge to win a match at the cost of reliability is not an option.

I look for reliability above all else. Mixing and matching parts that can adversely affect reliability for a minimal gain like reducing recoil on a 5.56 seems silly.

To improve follow up shots on a 5.56 AR, muzzle climb is your enemy not recoil. Proper form and that BC 1.0 will do much more to help achieve effective follow up shots than any "premium buffer kit" will ever do.

This is just my opinion. In the end its your money, your rifle and your $$.

Good luck and safe shooting.

702Shooter
03-04-2012, 9:49 AM
thanks! I appreciate your answer! What are your thoughts on the JP Low Mass Buffer systems?

Sorry, I have no experience with those. What I do know is that every JP product I have used, I like.

tonyxcom
03-04-2012, 10:21 AM
Beyond installation (and the QD mounts), there isn't any improvement in the PWS enhanced buffer tube when compared to a good quality milspec buffer tube.

They have a nice look to them, but the gaps most people end up with between the QD part of the tube and the end plate spoil it for me.

If you aren't shooting competitions, then a good quality (DD, VLTOR, BCM, to name a few) milspec buffer tube and buffer is all you need, and even that is up for debate. You'd be better off putting the money you save into a better trigger or more ammo.

straightshot
03-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Beyond installation (and the QD mounts), there isn't any improvement in the PWS enhanced buffer tube when compared to a good quality milspec buffer tube.

They have a nice look to them, but the gaps most people end up with between the QD part of the tube and the end plate spoil it for me.

If you aren't shooting competitions, then a good quality (DD, VLTOR, BCM, to name a few) milspec buffer tube and buffer is all you need, and even that is up for debate. You'd be better off putting the money you save into a better trigger or more ammo.

I kind of like the fact that the pws tube is a one piece installation. Would you mind explaining the QD and endplate situation?

tomd1584
03-04-2012, 12:42 PM
For one thing, it's called a Receiver Extension. Second, determine what kind of ammo you will be using, and select the heaviest buffer that will still reliably cycle your ammo. If you are using different types if ammo, (ie cheap wolf and military surplus) you may find that a heavy buffer will not cycle the lower powered stuff.

Im pretty sure LMT does not make a mid length upper, so perhaps you could clarify whAt type of upper you have? I ask because some MFG's have different gas port sizes, which will affect which buffer you use (over/under gassing issues).

IMO, these fancy reciever extensions and buffers aren'tworth the price tags they fetch. Find a buffer that works for your ammo and leave it at that. Go with a mil spec receiver extension from a reputable MFG, like DD, LMT, BCM, COLT, CMT, VLTOR (A5) and be done.

Cheers,

702Shooter
03-04-2012, 1:05 PM

The PWS EBT completely eliminates the castle nut. No more need to stake it or worry about it coming loose.

The PWS EBT also eliminates carrier tilt. This is very handy for any gas piston AR/M16.

If those aren't improvements over a milspec tube then I don't know what is.

http://www.702shooter.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/IMG_0187.jpg
http://www.702shooter.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/IMG_0185.jpg
http://www.702shooter.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/IMG_0188.jpg

702Shooter
03-04-2012, 1:07 PM
I kind of like the fact that the pws tube is a one piece installation. Would you mind explaining the QD and endplate situation?

Take a look at the 2nd & 3rd pics in my post above to see what he is referring to.

tonyxcom
03-04-2012, 1:53 PM
That's why I said "beyond installation and the QD mounts there isn't much improvement"

You can stake an end plate with common house hold tools (hammer and punch). And if you don't have a punch they are readily available at any hardware store.

And carrier tilt isn't a problem for 99% of AR shooters out there so it's hardly worth mentioning.

Besides, the same person that would have a hard time staking an end plate will likely screw up the PWS tube install anyway so the installation isn't even really a plus anyway.

702Shooter
03-04-2012, 2:32 PM
That's why I said "beyond installation and the QD mounts there isn't much improvement"

You can stake an end plate with common house hold tools (hammer and punch). And if you don't have a punch they are readily available at any hardware store.

And carrier tilt isn't a problem for 99% of AR shooters out there so it's hardly worth mentioning.

Besides, the same person that would have a hard time staking an end plate will likely screw up the PWS tube install anyway so the installation isn't even really a plus anyway.

I don't think installation is much of a plus at all. However, I do believe it is a FAR superior system than any milspec option.

Whether carrier tilt is a concern or not, it just makes sense to support the BCG as much as possible. It's a better mousetrap, period.

jonjonkills101
03-05-2012, 1:37 PM
it may have been my endplate and buffer mismatch, but even with torqued down correctly, i would still have my buffer tube rotate of center slightly. i have a piston AR so once i came up on a steal on a PWS enhaned buffer tube, i jumped on it. i really like how the tube itself captures the buffer stop and basically will not rotate out of that position. as for the integrated dead blow buffer, i didn't notice a difference at all. all in all im still happy with my purchase, the QD option lets me have a cleaner profile when i don't need a sling.

BigBamBoo
03-05-2012, 2:02 PM
If you have a adjustable gas block, then the JP low mass buffer and bolt carrier is the way to go. I run them in my JP builds and once tuned to the load you shoot, it really does take a lot of the recoil out of it. It is like shooting a loud .22.
If you do not have a adjustable gas block then go with a standard buffer.