PDA

View Full Version : Clarification on 11-30 day pickup period

Colonel Monk
03-03-2012, 10:07 AM
Howdy FFLs:

I'm working for a budding FFL here in CA. I'm doing the paperwork and recordkeeping, bookkeeping and cleaning up a mess left by his former employee.

To do a better job, I've been doing some of my own research here.

I've looked over some of the FAQs of course, but this one thing I'd like clarification on.

My FFL is under the impression that after the 10 day wait period, that the firearm must be picked up BEFORE the 30th day, so essentially from the 11th day after the DROS to the 29th day.

Reading the FAQ on DOJ site seems that purchaser has up to and including 30 - 24 hour periods to pick it up, correct? After 10 days of wait, of course.

Thanks,

CM

Librarian
03-03-2012, 11:52 AM
The issue probably is this part of Federal regs 478.102 Sales or deliveries of firearms on and after November 30,

(c) Time limitation on NICS checks. A NICS check conducted in
accordance with paragraph (a) of this section may be relied upon by
the licensee only for use in a single transaction, and for a period
not to exceed 30 calendar days from the date that NICS was initially
contacted. If the transaction is not completed within the 30-day
period, the licensee shall initiate a new NICS check prior to
completion of the transfer.
It really means '30 calendar days'. Unlike DROS, it isn't timed to the minute - "10 24-hour periods'.

And the 10-days is the first 10 of the 30, although we really don't know on what day the NICS is initiated during that first 10 days.

kemasa
03-03-2012, 12:10 PM
The Fed date is 30 days FROM the date that the NICS was submitted. This would allow for a longer period of time than that state allows since the next day, all day, is 1 day.

For CA, it is hours from when the DROS was submitted, not 1 minute early, nor 1 minute late.

Example (partially from a date program I have):

Today: 03-Mar-2012 12:03:42 PM
10 Days: 13-Mar-2012 12:03:42 PM after
30 Days: 02-Apr-2012 12:03:42 PM before

Colonel Monk
03-04-2012, 8:05 AM
The Fed date is 30 days FROM the date that the NICS was submitted. This would allow for a longer period of time than that state allows since the next day, all day, is 1 day.

For CA, it is hours from when the DROS was submitted, not 1 minute early, nor 1 minute late.

Example (partially from a date program I have):

Today: 03-Mar-2012 12:03:42 PM
10 Days: 13-Mar-2012 12:03:42 PM after
30 Days: 02-Apr-2012 12:03:42 PM before

Thanks to both for your replies, that helps to clarify.

Kemasa, what date program are you using? Would love to stop counting days on the calendar!

That is what started this whole mess - the 19 year old that was helping with paperwork got lazy on some of these - and instead of putting down the actual day the firearms left the building he just "calculated" 30 days in his head. Which of course, doesn't work! You can't DROS on 03/04 and just write "04/04" in the log book. Retard. Don't want to sound like an old man, but the phrase "kids these days" comes to mind...

So, I'm in the unenviable position of correcting some entries - that program sure would help, as well as with the current iron coming thru the shop.

In most cases, the dates are OK but some of them were 30 days from the DROS and my boss was saying that if kid put down 30 days we would have to re-DROS the weapons to fix the paperwork. I think we're OK. So, he had told me 11-29 days which is playing it safe.

The paperwork learning curve is a bit steep if you haven't done anything like it before - my boss should have hired someone more pro from the beginning to help him set up but didn't, so I'm getting everything on the straight and narrow and getting some organization into his operation.

Will be nice to be able to ask questions from you folks. Thank you.

CM

kemasa
03-04-2012, 8:32 AM
It is a program that I wrote myself. I can see about compiling it on a Windoze machine, but I use Linux, so I am not sure of what that will take.

I should change it to allow you to specify the start date, but right now it just uses the current date. The time is from the DROS, since that is what really matters.

Colonel Monk
03-04-2012, 8:51 AM
It is a program that I wrote myself. I can see about compiling it on a Windoze machine, but I use Linux, so I am not sure of what that will take.

I should change it to allow you to specify the start date, but right now it just uses the current date. The time is from the DROS, since that is what really matters.

That would be awesome, but don't put yourself out too much... I can see what utilities out there are available. Would be great though for many FFLs I'd think...

Linux huh? Sure is stable isn't it? I haven't fooled with it for several years, right about the time that Red Hat could actually install itself for us without the skills. Finally with Win7 it's stable enough but the security still leaves some to be desired.

I've been talking to Boss about using a desktop calendar to track exactly when people need to come by and pick up weapons - he's been winging it a little, and though he has a pretty good memory, with the volume picking up and this endeavor being part-time for the next few years he's got to be more proactive.

I'd prefer using an e-calendar since my memory ain't fer sheeeeeit, and having reminders pop up on certain dates is how I roll - you could say I carry my brain around in my pocket. Since he does alot of calls from the road at his day job, those reminders would be handy I think.

Thanks again for your help.

CM

kemasa
03-04-2012, 9:36 AM
It could be re-written in most anything. I keep a checklist with the paperwork and write down on it when the DROS was started, as well as the 10 day and 30 day points. I also write that information down on the receipt and leave it up to the customer to remember when to come back. I sometimes remind people when they are getting close to the 30 days, but the main reason for my keeping it is to ensure that I don't release the firearm too early or too late.

Colonel Monk
03-04-2012, 11:01 AM
It could be re-written in most anything. I keep a checklist with the paperwork and write down on it when the DROS was started, as well as the 10 day and 30 day points. I also write that information down on the receipt and leave it up to the customer to remember when to come back. I sometimes remind people when they are getting close to the 30 days, but the main reason for my keeping it is to ensure that I don't release the firearm too early or too late.

Love it. The FIRST thing I did when I started was create a checklist coversheet for the package, then added the DROS date and first allowable pickup dates...

I like your idea for the last pickup date too - that's great.